Ms-1, Maybe Ms-2's? - A post from down under
Nov 2, 2010 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

freef49

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Seeing as this is my first post let me start off by introducing myself. I’m Steve from the Whitsundays and I have recently upgraded to the Ms-1's.
After a couple of hours of listening I find them to be good, amazing in the tops and middle but lacking in the lower, I want something more "Punchy" something with more oomph. I got these head phones from headphones.com.au and they have a 20 day return policy I am wondering of the ms-2's are what I’m looking for or are there other headphones I should look at? Unfortunately due to where I live I can’t actually listen to any of them. My budget would be about an extra $250 (bringing it up to $400) maybe a bit more of there’s a fairly strong consensus.

Nov 2, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 25

Hello and welcome...

Talked to the guys on the forums at headphonics?  they also know their stuff.

What is your source?
What music do you listen to?

Nov 2, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 25
Hey there :p

My source at the moment is the computer or my iPhone or my iPod really what ever and my music taste are really everything but straight country and some classical, my main listening extends to Alternative, Pop, Rock, R&B, and Rap

in summary lots..

I am thinking though in getting an amp, would that help?

Nov 2, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 25
I found the 35 dollar Fiio E5 headphone Amp, is a great little addition.
Its cheap, small, charges from USB, and has Bass Boost and volume controls.
Maybe thats all you may need.
But with a bigger budget like you have maybe the MS-2i's are a better option..

I can get really good bass from my Sansa Clip+ by increasing the EQ's LS gain.
And believe me, MS-1i's have great bass response.
Try upping the Bass Frequency cutoff to 200kHz thru the EQ settings on PC, and Iphone if it has one.
Have you got a good copy of Thunderstruck?  Checkout the Massive bass drums in that track and you will know what I mean...
Edit: The MS1i are easily driven from portable devices, but I like the little extra Punch the E5 gives them when using the Clip+.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f1cwycSWq0

Nov 2, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 25
i can hear them but I'm not getting that warm feeling from feeling a bit of vibrations and the warm boom even in techno i just don't like them in that respect, they feel a bit empty..

Nov 2, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 25
Maybe you want some Audio Technica

The AD700 is a fantastic sounding headphone for the price.
Combining responsive bass with smooth midrange and detailed upper end this headphone has an exciting sound without being harsh.
The comfort of this model is hard to beat, they're lightweight and their "3D Wing" headband design means there is minimal pressure on your head making these headphones a fantastic all rounder!

A full review for this product can be found in our forums here!

Please note: this product only comes in ONE colour selection. If your monitor doesn't display colours correctly, it may look like there are different versions, but the AD700 ONLY comes in a gold/purple colour scheme.

Package Contents

1/4" to 3.5mm adaptor

Specifications

1. Model number: ATH-AD700
  2. Weight: 280g
  3. Impedance: 32ohm
  4. Sensitivity: 98dB
  5. Power Handling: 500mW
  6. Open/Closed: Open
  7. Transducer type: Dynamic
  8. Ear Coupling: Circumaural
  9. Frequency response: 5 - 30,000 Hz
  10. Cable length: 3m
$199.00 from Headphonics delivered.

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #7 of 25

Quote:
Maybe you want some Audio Technica

The AD700 is a fantastic sounding headphone for the price.
Combining responsive bass with smooth midrange and detailed upper end this headphone has an exciting sound without being harsh.
The comfort of this model is hard to beat, they're lightweight and their "3D Wing" headband design means there is minimal pressure on your head making these headphones a fantastic all rounder!

A full review for this product can be found in our forums here!

Please note: this product only comes in ONE colour selection. If your monitor doesn't display colours correctly, it may look like there are different versions, but the AD700 ONLY comes in a gold/purple colour scheme.

Package Contents

1/4" to 3.5mm adaptor

Specifications

1. Model number: ATH-AD700
  2. Weight: 280g
  3. Impedance: 32ohm
  4. Sensitivity: 98dB
  5. Power Handling: 500mW
  6. Open/Closed: Open
  7. Transducer type: Dynamic
  8. Ear Coupling: Circumaural
  9. Frequency response: 5 - 30,000 Hz
  10. Cable length: 3m
$199.00 from Headphonics delivered.

AD700 have very little bass, even less so than the MS1s.

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #8 of 25
double post :frowning2:

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #10 of 25
Shrue srh840?

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #11 of 25
looks alright i wonder if it has the detail of the MS-1's though..

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #12 of 25
Hi Steve,

I think you're realizing that no one headphone excels in many genres unless you step up, aka bleeding money. I did own the ms1 and the Shures back in the day and they might be a good combo. The Shures certainly have a more weighty sound as well as having a harder hitting bass, relative to the ms-1.

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #13 of 25
Sounds good I'll start saving :p

I would love head phones with the highs and midds of the ms-1's but a bit more oomph, ah well..

Thanks a lot of the advice MomijiTMO :) 

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #15 of 25

Quote:
Hey there :p

My source at the moment is the computer or my iPhone or my iPod really what ever and my music taste are really everything but straight country and some classical, my main listening extends to Alternative, Pop, Rock, R&B, and Rap

in summary lots..

I am thinking though in getting an amp, would that help?

Shure SRH750DJ will be great for you I think, even more than SRH840. Yes 840 has a bit higher technicalities, but 750DJ will offering you more fun sounding and more lively.

but I'm just not sure, will 750DJ hurt your ears like my ears or not, depend on your head I guess 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back