ms-1 = cool glass of liquid mids?
Mar 8, 2006 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

familyman

500+ Head-Fier
Wowza, after listening to these ms-1's, my 280's sound muffled, or like they're holding back some of the music. there isn't as much bass as the 280's but the extension is there, i notice some sibilance in the ms-1's but they've only had about 60 hours burn in time, my gf REALLY hates it when i leave the cans on and she can hear em, even if she cant hear them she says it bugs her just because they are "playing for no reason." Anyways back to cans. Male and female vocals come out a lot compared to the 280's, with the 280's i always pictured the singer as being on stage, in between the guitarists or the rest of the band, with the ms-1's the singer is right THERE! you can hear the details of vocals much more. I find myself loving the oldies(60's-70's rock) on these cans as well as a lot of vocally based hiphop.

These cans are exactly what i wanted as a second pair!

Here's the big question, what's next?

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #2 of 13
absolutely nothing! run far far away from here and never look back!

MS-1 are the gateway drug, don't let them pull you in!

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 13
aight you asked for it. You wanna hear cool glass of liquid mids? I haven't heard the MS-1, but I can only imagine you have skimmed the surface. Look to the RS-1 or Audio Technica AD2000 to fill your pools of ecstasy

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 13
Hole mod em with replacement pads from The Source or something. They are definitely more fun sounding than the MS-2s
biggrin.gif
. I will be returning the latter and possibly buying another set of MS-1s in the near future.

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 13
jahn, i can feel the pull, it's way better than gravity
tongue.gif
, i want more!!!

scuba, i've been thinking about audio technica's for a while, i'm just worried about a bloated bass like i heard in the 7509's, although they were not burnt in.

senn20, tried the 580's, neat sound but not what i'm looking for.

gshan, what differance in sound did you hear with the hole mod? i was thinking the senn pad mod, for more bass, know where i can find them these days,

rs1smile.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 13
Best bang for the buck headphones I have ever listened to and especially so considering you don't need an amp to enjoy the jams.

A steal at $99 but I'm thinking I should have been arrested for outright grand theft considering I paid $75 for mine with free shipping when the cans were first introduced
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #8 of 13
although, even though they are extremely light and dont really apply that much pressure to your ears, they still hurt them after a while, very strange
confused.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

although, even though they are extremely light and dont really apply that much pressure to your ears, they still hurt them after a while, very strange

Never had that problem.I guess membership in "Team Melon Head" is off the list
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
Never had that problem.I guess membership in "Team Melon Head" is off the list
very_evil_smiley.gif

i'll be the first member of "team shrunken head guy from "beetlejuice""
rolleyes.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by familyman
Wowza, after listening to these ms-1's, my 280's sound muffled, or like they're holding back some of the music. there isn't as much bass as the 280's but the extension is there, i notice some sibilance in the ms-1's but they've only had about 60 hours burn in time, my gf REALLY hates it when i leave the cans on and she can hear em, even if she cant hear them she says it bugs her just because they are "playing for no reason." Anyways back to cans. Male and female vocals come out a lot compared to the 280's, with the 280's i always pictured the singer as being on stage, in between the guitarists or the rest of the band, with the ms-1's the singer is right THERE! you can hear the details of vocals much more. I find myself loving the oldies(60's-70's rock) on these cans as well as a lot of vocally based hiphop.

These cans are exactly what i wanted as a second pair!

Here's the big question, what's next?

Enjoy!! HD280s and Grados are pretty far opposite in a lot of ways IMHO.

next step after MS1 is HF1 (MS2 if you want a more flat / dry presentation), next step after that is RS1, next step after that is HP1000 (which I prefer over the PS1).

Garrett

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Enjoy!! HD280s and Grados are pretty far opposite in a lot of ways IMHO.

next step after MS1 is HF1 (MS2 if you want a more flat / dry presentation), next step after that is RS1, next step after that is HP1000 (which I prefer over the PS1).

Garrett

yeah but how available are these cans? Besides the rs-1.

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by familyman
yeah but how available are these cans? Besides the rs-1.

The HF-1 is pretty overpriced for what it will give you right now. The MS2i however (which I preferred in a taste test) is $300 new or around $250 used. I think Augustwest (is that his name) has a pair for sale in the FS/FT forums. To make them more comfortable, try C-Pads from headphile or the Senn 414 pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back