**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #1,891 of 3,203
Just got these. Just using my PA2V2 + 5.5Gen Ipod. My previous can was a DT770/80. So far I don't know how to feel. I'm not overly impressed to be honest. Maybe they just need a period of breaking them in?

Also, using a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter by sennheiser.

edit: maybe I'm just a basshead.

Had the exact same reaction. Returned them. I'm a basshead. It's ok.

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #1,892 of 3,203
  Just got these. Just using my PA2V2 + 5.5Gen Ipod. My previous can was a DT770/80. So far I don't know how to feel. I'm not overly impressed to be honest. Maybe they just need a period of breaking them in?

As mentioned a lot of times before, let your ears/brains get used to the sound.
Planar sound is definitely a bit different and in fact, headphones like these (warm + neutral-ish) might take a bit of time to get used to them and might sound underwhelming at first!

After that, if you still find them not up your taste, then you'll know what to do! :wink:

Or maybe you are just a basshead...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #1,893 of 3,203

As mentioned a lot of times before, let your ears/brains get used to the sound.
Planar sound is definitely a bit different and in fact, headphones like these (warm + neutral-ish) might take a bit of time to get used to them and might sound underwhelming at first!

After that, if you still find them not up your taste, then you'll know what to do! :wink:

Or maybe you are just a basshead...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yeah. Problem is I don't know a closed headphone upgrade from the DT770/80. I was thinking of sending them in to headphile for the darth beyer mod.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #1,894 of 3,203

Yeah. Problem is I don't know a closed headphone upgrade from the DT770/80. I was thinking of sending them in to headphile for the darth beyer mod.

Ultrasone Signature Pro
Ultrasone Signature DJ
Fostex TH-900/600 (leaks)
Denon D5000/7000 (leaks)
Perfect Sound Dido D901

I don't like the DT770 much (except for the comfort factor) so I also find these as "upgrades"

V-Moda M100
Yamaha Pro 500
Yamaha HPH-MT220 (not really basshead though)

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting a whole lot of them. :wink:

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #1,895 of 3,203
Personally I'm a bit reluctant to group a whole headphone driver into one category. There will always be outliers that screw up the "general" sound. 
tongue.gif

That being said, I was slightly underwhelmed with the Mad Dog when I first received it, but it quickly grew on me. Then again, I was coming from the HD600, which was open and lacked sub bass, so I had the opposite effect regarding bass.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #1,896 of 3,203

Add

Denon D600
Denon D2000
M-Audio Q40
Ultrasone Pro900 (maybe the best bass)

I had a Darth Beyer..........not as much an improvement as I hoped.

To the Mad Dogs - it was recommended to me to not listen to my Denons for about a week to get conditioned to the Mad Dog style of bass. Gave it two days, went back to my Denons, never looked back. It's just different. No slam/thump and to each their own.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #1,897 of 3,203
Denon D2000

The midrange and instrument timbre of the Mad Dog are a couple of levels better than the D2000, and a level better than the HE400.

(Admittedly an imprecise subjective assessment, but it is from a direct comparison.)

BTW, the bass of the Mad Dog 3.2 are significantly better than earlier versions of the Mad Dog.   And their bass is aided by a powerful amp (such as your Pioneer or Kenwood).

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #1,898 of 3,203
I had a Darth Beyer..........not as much an improvement as I hoped.

To the Mad Dogs - it was recommended to me to not listen to my Denons for about a week to get conditioned to the Mad Dog style of bass. Gave it two days, went back to my Denons, never looked back. It's just different. No slam/thump and to each their own.

edit: i'll take this convo via pm.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #1,899 of 3,203

I had the DT770, I also love bass. I found the bass in the Mad Dog to impress much more than the DT770. Running them off an Essence STX, slightly EQed. Did yours get enough power?

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #1,900 of 3,203
I love my DT770 they are one of the best phones around the 300 price point. That said my mad dog make them sound thin and boring.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #1,901 of 3,203
It's always good to try the T50RP with different gear before making a final call. I would give yourself a few days away from much in the way of music/audio and then come back to the Mad Dogs exclusively. Give yourself some time with them, because I found the T50RP to sound very strange at first as well. Also, do you have the 3.2 revision of the MD (latest version)?

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #1,902 of 3,203
  I had the DT770, I also love bass. I found the bass in the Mad Dog to impress much more than the DT770. Running them off an Essence STX, slightly EQed. Did yours get enough power?

I'm using a PA2V2 amp. Not sure if that's enough power.

Quote:
  It's always good to try the T50RP with different gear before making a final call. I would give yourself a few days away from much in the way of music/audio and then come back to the Mad Dogs exclusively. Give yourself some time with them, because I found the T50RP to sound very strange at first as well. Also, do you have the 3.2 revision of the MD (latest version)?

Yeah, I'm thinking my gear might be the cause. Also, I recently ordered this MD (last week), so it should be 3.2.

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #1,903 of 3,203
  Yeah, I'm thinking my gear might be the cause. Also, I recently ordered this MD (last week), so it should be 3.2.

Well, that is only one part of the equation, but it could be a big part. I've found that while the T50RP can sound decent on things even like smartphones alone, they noticeably scale with better gear (substituting T50RP for Mad Dog since this applies to almost any stock or modded T50RP). They even work well with power amps that are generally used for speakers, much like the HiFiMan line.

If you have a desktop computer, I've found some of the sound cards with good dedicated headphone amps to be a really good value. I got an Auzentech Bravura a couple years back for $90 refurbished. I did not hear any appreciable differences when I got my ODAC/O2, though the O2 had more headroom to play with. It worked pretty well with the T50RP.

But, really, I still stand by my opinion that you need to give yourself a lot of time with the T50RP. With both the stock, personally modded, Mad Dog, and Paradox, I found I always had to give myself time to adjust to them. I'm not quite sure what it was about them, because now I have no issues going back to them even if I've used other headphones for a while. *shrug*

You definitely got a 3.2. I just asked because some buy used without specifying right away, and I'd heard similar comments from those that got used 3.0 models.

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #1,904 of 3,203
I just received a pair of Mad Dog 3.2 headphones, but I'm having trouble enjoying the bass. Compared to my Ath M50s, the vocals sound better on the mad dogs, but I like the thumpy bass on the m50s. The mad dogs do make it sound less congested than the m50s, but at the same time, I would prefer some more bass(since to me, it gives it some more life). Are the mad dogs supposed to have an accurate/neutral bass that doesn't really thump?  I have paired both of these up with a Fiio E17 and the mad dogs would have a volume level around 5-10 higher than the m50s to sound on the same volume.

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #1,905 of 3,203
The mad-dogs have a little hump in the upper bass region that's above neutral, but the bass itself is relatively neutral and less powerful than the M50's.  I think that's a limitation of the T50rp driver.  It's a planar magnetic with less excursion than a regular dynamic driver, and it isn't very large in surface area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back