**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 4, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #1,816 of 3,203
  Granted I do see people wearing earbuds when driving. Which imo is pretty stupid.

Incredibly stoopid! There's a reason we have car stereos!

On a less stupid note, how huge is the difference between the V1 and V3/V3.2 MDs? I'm giving some thought to an upgrade but it would definitely have to be a considerable difference to make it worth shipping back to the US.

Oct 4, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #1,818 of 3,203
Oct 4, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #1,819 of 3,203
I think he is talking about the back seat, on long trips. Maybe when he is not driving. I listen to my headphones all the time in the car on family trips. There is no way in hell I could stand my dads music for the average 4 hour family trip we take. 

Granted I do see people wearing earbuds when driving. Which imo is pretty stupid.

Some folks (me sometimes) use ibuds as a phone mic/earpiece in the car. No music playing. And some most certainly crank tunes....

Oct 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #1,820 of 3,203
  I don't really have time to read this whole thread so sorry if these questions have already been addressed.
Do these headphones sound at least good without an amp? Because if I get them now it might be a month or two before I could get an amp.
Also does a good amp to drive these exist for under $100? I might could go a tad bit higher but not much. I would also want the amp to be at least slightly portable since they will be used for a lot of car traveling. Thanks!

Not great without an amp...nope. The e12 mentioned is good. A vintage receiver from your local goodwill store would spank the e12 for about half the money. 
size]

Oh course the old steel is not for everyone. ymmv

Oct 4, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #1,821 of 3,203
Oct 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #1,823 of 3,203
Some late answers:

* Mad Dogs are not portable headphones.

* They do not work properly with Cmoy amps (and neither do HiFiMan planars).

* They will work directly out of phones, tablets and laptops, but will work better with a DAC and Amp.

* You will want to spend slightly more than the cost of the Mad Dogs, on a DAC and an Amp.

* The upgrade to the Version 3.2 is definitely worth the trouble and cost (but that might depend on extra trouble and cost of shipping from foreign countries).  The pads on the version 3.2 are quite different from Version 2 or 1, they are very thick and enveloping and might be excessively warm in very hot conditions.  (They do have very good isolation as a result.)

Oct 4, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #1,824 of 3,203
Because of the great isolation the Mad Dogs work fine as my portable can. I get strange looks sometimes but I don't care. It also is slightly big around the neck when not worn, but again worth the extra effort especially when I'm also carrying around an amp powerful enough to drive them.

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #1,826 of 3,203

* The upgrade to the Version 3.2 is definitely worth the trouble and cost (but that might depend on extra trouble and cost of shipping from foreign countries).  The pads on the version 3.2 are quite different from Version 2 or 1, they are very thick and enveloping and might be excessively warm in very hot conditions.  (They do have very good isolation as a result.)

Hmm... This makes things more complicated. Now I'm torn between upgrading the V1s to either V3.2, Alpha Dog, or selling them to fund a pair of HE-400s.

confused_face(1).gif

Oct 4, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #1,828 of 3,203

Hmm... This makes things more complicated. Now I'm torn between upgrading the V1s to either V3.2, Alpha Dog, or selling them to fund a pair of HE-400s.

confused_face(1).gif

I think that that's a very subjective question. They are different sounding phones which both do great for their purpose.

Oct 4, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #1,829 of 3,203

Are you still running an FiiO E10 with them?

Just thought I shoud let you know, only have the E10 for a few days so I have to run the Mad Dog trough it. After discovering Linux had suddenly put the volume at 46% I now only need to run it at around 2-3 on volume. It definitely does not sound as good as from an STX though, but at least it's not as limited on volume as I initially thought it was.

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #1,830 of 3,203

Not great without an amp...nope. The e12 mentioned is good. A vintage receiver from your local goodwill store would spank the e12 for about half the money. 
size]

Oh course the old steel is not for everyone. ymmv

+1.  Still hunting for mine but too many audiophiles vultures in my area :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back