**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 18, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #1,666 of 3,203
  How are the Mad Dog 3.2's with EDM/hip hop?
How do they perform against HE-400's in that regard?
Really interested in these headphones!

Hopefully going to pick mine up tomorrow, I listen to a lot of hip hop so I can let you know if I think they work for that genre. Never heard the HE-400's though, so I can't really give any comparisons on those.

EDM, electro music? I listen to quite a bit of trance, dubstep, chillstep etc as well so yeah, I can probably give some input in a day or two.

Sep 18, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #1,667 of 3,203
So... Dan.
I see that the Alpha Pads appear as "sold out" on the page.
Is this accurate?
I was just going to buy 1 pair right now.

Thanks.

Whatcha putting them on buddy?

Sep 18, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #1,668 of 3,203

While the MD does this type of music well, I'd give the nod to the he400. It's just tough to beat the he400 for some of the best audiophile bass in the game. It will cost you another $100 to get it though. 

Sep 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #1,669 of 3,203
Whatcha putting them on buddy?

Going to try them on my JVC SZ2000! LOL!
(The "dog pads" seemed to work "Ok"... my current Mad Dogs are not at home so I haven't tested. Anyway, it'll be cool to have an extra pair just in case :wink:)

Sep 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #1,670 of 3,203

Going to try them on my JVC SZ2000! LOL!
(The "dog pads" seemed to work "Ok"... my current Mad Dogs are not at home so I haven't tested. Anyway, it'll be cool to have an extra pair just in case :wink:)

I'm really interested to hear if they fit and how they sound.  I've still got those JVC's on my radar for some reason...................

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #1,671 of 3,203
The Dog pads fit a bit loose (as in they can easily be yanked out and rotated, but they don't fall out or anything like that) and from what I remember the Alpha Pads might actually fit a bit better. Sound did not change much either with the Dog Pads. I'm expecting the Alpha Pads to change them a bit but at least they'll be a bit more comfortable.

BTW, using the JVCs with the PC at home, they are "Ok" with movies, but that warmth, definitely not my style for music listening for long periods!

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #1,672 of 3,203

While the MD does this type of music well, I'd give the nod to the he400. It's just tough to beat the he400 for some of the best audiophile bass in the game. It will cost you another $100 to get it though.

I'd agree with Matt. The HE400 is much better suited for those genres than the Mad Dogs IMO.  The Bass is just on another level.  I own MD3.2, HE400 and LCD2 and, out of those,  I would put them in that order in terms of Bass quality and enjoyment as well as overall SQ.  YMMV.  

Cheers

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #1,673 of 3,203
My first impression: Holy ****. That is all.

If these are going to improve as I listen I think I am going to fall in love. These are on another level compared to my DT770's.

Oh and so far I've only listened to a few rap tracks and chillstep tracks, I'm not disappointed at all so far. And that's without EQing for more bass.

Dan, you're doing an amazing job making these! Much love! :)

Edit: I find it pretty funny that I'm hearing details I've never ever heard before ... in rap beats. Eminem tracks I've listened to way too much over several years and I'm hearing parts of the beat I've never heard before. This is magic.

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #1,674 of 3,203

This must change depending on the amp, because I have both headphones and I would judge them equal on bass quality.   Test tracks:

Bob Marley - Concrete Jungle (MFSL)

NWA - Straight Outta Compton

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #1,675 of 3,203
Anyone have any recommendations for a coiled cable to buy for the Mad Dogs that's reasonably priced? I sit at a desk and hate how long the cable is but would like the reach when needed.

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #1,676 of 3,203
  Anyone have any recommendations for a coiled cable to buy for the Mad Dogs that's reasonably priced? I sit at a desk and hate how long the cable is but would like the reach when needed.

Although ,not a coiled cable,Brian could make you a cable that would work just fine ,at your desk-e-mail him first.

http://btg-audio.webs.com/webstore.htm

Another one ,you might consider is:

Ted Allen..

tedallen0220@gmail.com

Ted,just made me a silver cable ,for my HD800's--outstanding SQ & CS.

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #1,677 of 3,203
Your best bet is to buy a coiled cable that meets the length tou want and then reterminate it.

Though the Vmoda cable that they ship with is great for having a short length and light weigh t.

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #1,678 of 3,203
Your best bet is to buy a coiled cable that meets the length tou want and then reterminate it.

Though the Vmoda cable that they ship with is great for having a short length and light weigh t.

Don't want to have to dink with reterminating. I'm not that great and don't like doing that stuff. Would rather have one that already has the L connector on it.

Although ,not a coiled cable,Brian could make you a cable that would work just fine ,at your desk-e-mail him first.

http://btg-audio.webs.com/webstore.htm

Another one ,you might consider is:

Ted Allen..

tedallen0220@gmail.com

Ted,just made me a silver cable ,for my HD800's--outstanding SQ & CS.

$70+ isn't reasonably priced... I want a coiled cable for those times i do need to maneuver around my desk a bit and need the length but so I don't trip/roll over it/get it wrapped around chair when I am sitting right in front of PC.

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #1,679 of 3,203
  Don't want to have to dink with reterminating. I'm not that great and don't like doing that stuff. Would rather have one that already has the L connector on it.

$70+ isn't reasonably priced... I want a coiled cable for those times i do need to maneuver around my desk a bit and need the length but so I don't trip/roll over it/get it wrapped around chair when I am sitting right in front of PC.

Good Luck..???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back