**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Sep 12, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #1,606 of 3,203

Too lazy to go back and look but there is a picture of them fitting inside this case uploaded by someone. Either in this thread or some other Mad Dog thread. I'm actually planning on getting this for the Alpha Dog.

I'm going to pass on the Slappa case - it'd cost about $33 to have it shipped here (the case is only $26 on their website).

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #1,607 of 3,203
I'm going to pass on the Slappa case - it'd cost about $33 to have it shipped here (the case is only $26 on their website).

My headphones don't leave the house. So I use these Ikea boxes which are cheap, stackable, transparent, and the larger version can store two full sized headphones.

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #1,608 of 3,203
So,  

I got my Mad Dogs last night and had a listen to them on the train to work this morning through my iMod and e12.
What can I say, I was horribly horribly disappointed.
I was expecting a dark to warm sound and in my ears all I could hear was Sibilance, sharp treble and labored bass.
I was thinking, what have I done!?! I cant believe I was excited to be receiving these phones.
HOWEVER, I know headphones can take some time to find their sweet spot so I kept at it, listening to various genre's/volumes over the next hours train trip.

I then circled back to the original playlist for a comparison.
WOW... You wouldn't believe even after just 1 hour that these were the same phones!

The Sibilance was all but gone, the bass had started to loosen up (by loosen up I mean it was no longer labored, the bass its self was tight) and a more musical signature was presenting its self.

Now I am at work and using these phones with the AudioGD 15.32.  It just gets better.
Now I know some will say that the 15.32 and the MD's is going to be a horrible match, warm dac with a dark phone, but I actually quite like it.
Its musical, accurate and very easy to listen to for extended periods.

So coming from an initial impression that I had made a horrible mistake to now within hours loving these headphones I couldnt be happier.

Well until the AD comes out, at which point I will be sending these off for a trade up.

Scott

I also use the Audio Gd 15.32 with the MDs at home and though the 15.32s signature is warm, it does go well with the MDs for some reason so I concur.

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #1,610 of 3,203
I think its also getting the fit right, I had them sitting too high up once i adjusted them so they sat a bit lower everything sounded better. The pads seem to seal a bit better too when they are warm, like they loosen up just a tiny bit once they have been on your head for a bit. All little things to me that made a slight difference.

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #1,611 of 3,203
  I think its also getting the fit right, I had them sitting too high up once i adjusted them so they sat a bit lower everything sounded better. The pads seem to seal a bit better too when they are warm, like they loosen up just a tiny bit once they have been on your head for a bit. All little things to me that made a slight difference.

That's a great point ! 

You want to be sure that you're wearing them properly, creating a good seal with the pad stitching facing forward. Just that small difference affects the sound quite a bit. 

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #1,612 of 3,203
I agree with the fit. Make sure they are positioned in the correct vertical position. It will also help to avoid any fatigue from clamp. On that note, make sure you get the proper clamping force for your head. Mr.Speakers has a youtube video tutorial about how to loosen up and tighten the headband. 

From what I remember, they are now shipped in a more clamped fashion. Experiment and find the spot. Once you do, it's all gravy. 

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #1,613 of 3,203
The most common fit error I see is people making the risers too short to make the phone feel "snugger."  I think most people expect more clamp force so this makes the fit feel "tighter," but it's actually lifting the pads up under your ears.  

When properly fitted, there will be weight under your ear, as well as all around, and it will feel evenly distributed from bottom of the ear to the bottom of the other ear.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #1,614 of 3,203
Thanks for the good info! Definitely will have to play around a bit, I hope they will impress me as much as I think they will. :D

Dan, saw my headphones were shipped today, awesome! Getting this message when I try to track the shipment though:
Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office.

Guessing it's just a bit early to try tracking them? Patience isn't always my best feature. :p

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #1,615 of 3,203
  Thanks for the good info! Definitely will have to play around a bit, I hope they will impress me as much as I think they will. :D

Dan, saw my headphones were shipped today, awesome! Getting this message when I try to track the shipment though:
Guessing it's just a bit early to try tracking them? Patience isn't always my best feature. :p

If it makes you feel any better, the shipping process is pretty quick. It took mine 2 days if I remember correctly (and I was just as impatient) ....

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #1,617 of 3,203
Tracking info is supposed to be sent via USPS and our payment processor.  However, the delivery rate isn't great, and it's out of our hands as we can't do anything about their systems.  

If you need tracking info it will help us if you check your spam folders, etc, before contacting us asking for tracking numbers, I'm getting a LOT of email (and please don't call for these numbers, it's much easier for us to do this via email if it is needed).

In general, if the site says "in stock" it's in stock and will ship within one work day (sometimes 2 if the timing misses our shipping cutoff), and US delivery is 3 days Max for Priority.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #1,618 of 3,203

Doubt mine will arrive that quickly, they are going all the way to Norway. I chose express shipping though, hope it's worth it.

3-5 days for International Express.  Welcome to the Norway club!  After the UK and Australia you're our largest export market.  Do you guys do a lot of meets or have a local community, or what?  Anyhow, big shoutout to Norway for highest % of customers based on size...

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #1,619 of 3,203
No worries, Dan! Got the tracking number and all, just wondering what it meant. I've heard a lot of weird stuff about USPS tracking. I have no doubt that you have done your part. :)

We do have some hifi-websites that have some events once in a while. I can't say I've ever been to one, not really been that engaged with it and there's nothing in my local area. Glad to see we're on those Mad Dogs though! I've seen a few people talking about them, didn't think they were that big here actually.

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #1,620 of 3,203
Yeah don't sweat the shipping. Mine was very fast to Australia.
Couple of business days and it was in Australia. It was Australia post that failed me. Took longer to get the phones 150km to me than it did to get them from Dan's to Australia :S.

My guess is you will be happy with them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back