**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 9, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #1,186 of 3,203
That there is an outstanding bit of work. Good on ya Dan!.

What the T50 (and all Fostex orthos suffer from) is that diabolically mediocre enclosure. Thanks for taking the bull by the horns there and putting a solution into production.

Looking forward to hearing first impressions.

From the vid  the pads look to be a little different, has there been a change made to them?

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #1,187 of 3,203
It's exactly the same Alpha Pad, but we have this really cool twist-on mechanism that rotates the pad onto the cup and hides the mount, without clumsy rings or tools, and it was designed around the pad. 

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 9, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #1,188 of 3,203
Quote:
It's exactly the same Alpha Pad, but we have this really cool twist-on mechanism that rotates the pad onto the cup and hides the mount, without clumsy rings or tools, and it was designed around the pad. 

Ah I see.

Hope you are tooled up for mass production there.
wink_face.gif

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #1,189 of 3,203
This is really tempting to sell my DT990s to fund my upgrade/new AlphaDog. Once again Dan you have killed it!
I am sure this thread is going to implode by morning with excitement.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #1,192 of 3,203
I might need to hit the CA Audio show just for this. My brother currently has my 3.0 mad dogs as a hand-me-down, but I might just have him hand-it-back-up... I knew after the HE-6, I was going to upgrade my closed set next. Perhaps it was meant to be.

I'm wondering if we could order both types of cables; while it'd be nice to be able to run this through my emotiva mini, it'd be nice to be able to switch it to a magni if I'm traveling. I'm sure these details will be filled in as the time approaches though. Very excited.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #1,193 of 3,203
The cables will be a-la-cart, so you can easily get both, or XLR adaptors for iBasso, RSA, 3.5mm.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 9, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #1,194 of 3,203
Ho ho ho. Luckily I still have not ordered a pair of Mad Dog yet so I decide to continue to save up more money to buy a PREFERENCE Alpha Dog as Jude just reviewed and next time when I heard Mrspeakers said something like "We do not have a future upgrade plan at the moment, everything is cool, everything is good, we are happy with the result ..." that the time I hold my budget for the storm will come suddenly :D.

Waiting for the reviews before buy it in next year. Thanks Mrspeakers. Good job and congratulation. Should we make another topic with the new title "The first 3d printed headphone - The Alpha Dog" :rolleyes:?

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #1,195 of 3,203
I just brought a second hand Mad Dog from a person here in Manchester. I can see that they definitely have the current pads. My parents think I'm looney for spending as much as I did on this set up
tongue.gif

I have the Magni and Modi combo. After about an hour of setting up foobar and Wasapi support I started listening. This is my first headphone after the Sony XB 600. Lets just say that after about one song my jaw was to the floor on how good these headphones are. The bass hits really hard when required. I was shocked to hear all the crashing of cymbals in my Rock, Doom Metal, Metalcore and Deathcore songs that I wasn't ever truly aware of. The guitars are thicker and better than ever. I now know what a soundstage is meant to be. They are unbelievably comfortable.

I know my admission isn't worth much as I have only had the XB 600's but
basshead.gif

The Dac certainly has improved things of course, my laptop has beats audio
redface.gif

Extremely happy with these headphones. Bravo Mr Speakers
beerchug.gif

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #1,198 of 3,203
Need a quick answer - Will the Alpha Dog upgrade cost the same for 3.0 Mad Dogs as for 3.2 Mad Dogs, or will there be a different price ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back