**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 8, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #1,157 of 3,203
Having recently demo'd the TH-600 as well, I have to say that they're very complimentary.

Where the MD is mid-centric (3.0/1) with a linear bass response and slightly-shelved treble, I found the TH-600 to be much more "engaging" with a tilted-up treble and very punchy dynamic-style bass, with the midrange ever so slightly recessed. That being said, the MD's are much more "pleasant" to listen to while the TH-600 excelled at conveying energy and liveliness, and consequently, being more fatiguing than the MD's.

I had an odd fit with the TH-600's where they wouldn't tightly seal over my head. If the cups were a clock, the 3 and 9'o clock positions always felt like they were slightly off my head no matter what adjustments I gave them. Still sounded great, however, I got a "fuller" sound when pressing the cups against my head. In contrast, the MD's cuddle my ears like they were a spouse being shipped to war the next day. I prefer the latter, but they're both comfortable in their own right. :wink:
I had a similar experience regarding the seal. The pads were not really good when lying in bed because of the loose fit.

Same goes for the sound but I must admit I tend to favor the TH-600 which pair better with my warm gears.

From the 2, I still own the MDs, they have something special I guess ^^. Value is one of them!

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #1,158 of 3,203
The older stickers simply mean that they were made before the new stickers. I bought the 3.0 in January with older stickers and then sent them in for upgrade 6 weeks ago to 3.2 while retaining the older stickers.

So if he had them upgrade them upgraded they could be 3.2 but you have no way of knowing 100 percent unless you have Dan check them.
Unless of course you trust the seller.

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #1,160 of 3,203
Quote:

Can anyone else confirm? I got them used off of ebay; the seller said it was the newest version Mr. Speakers is selling... Was I wrong? 

They could be either, I think.  Mr. Speakers started using the black decals at about the same time the 3.2 emerged.  I think there was some cross over.  An email or PM to Dan might help you find out.  I know he is travelling up to the SF bay for the Headmaster event within the California Audio Show this weekend, so do have a bit of patience - it might take him to next week to respond.

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #1,161 of 3,203
Still don't understand why you guys are grasping.

The sticker doesn't necessarily mean anything. The previous owner could have had those same phones since the 003/840 days and upgraded along the way. Like I've done.

The only way to know for sure is to have Dan look at them.

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #1,162 of 3,203
Quote:
Can anyone confirm ?

Look in between the two headbands, at the top, on the inner band.

If there is nothing there, they are version 3.0.

If there is a sticker that says "3.2" (or "3.1") then that is the version.

BTW, I just received the new "Universal" 3.2 version (and 1/4" single-ended cable) and will do a comparison with my 3.0's and post my impressions later today.  (I had ordered just at the point where those cables previously went out of stock, so clearly they are filling old orders first.)

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #1,163 of 3,203
Quote:
The older stickers simply mean that they were made before the new stickers. I bought the 3.0 in January with older stickers and then sent them in for upgrade 6 weeks ago to 3.2 while retaining the older stickers.

So if he had them upgrade them upgraded they could be 3.2 but you have no way of knowing 100 percent unless you have Dan check them.
Unless of course you trust the seller.

If they were sent in for an upgrade there will be a 3.2 sticker on top of the leather head band.

A few were upgraded early on without the 3.2 sticker but not many...  In all probability it's a 3.0 tuning.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #1,164 of 3,203
Quote:
If they were sent in for an upgrade there will be a 3.2 sticker on top of the leather head band.

A few were upgraded early on without the 3.2 sticker but not many...  In all probability it's a 3.0 tuning.  

I think mine were one of the earlier ones, and had the balanced/universal mod at the same time, and alas, no little sticker.  I'll bring them by your table at the CA Audio show.  Perhaps you can bless them with a sticker.

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #1,165 of 3,203
Also, on the fit/comfort issue:

* People have a very wide variety of head shapes and sizes, no headphones work for everyone.

* The Mad Dogs have the best isolation of any over-the-ear headphones, due to the seal of the Alpha Pads.   This really good seal and isolation means that heat is trapped along with the sound.   It is an automatic tradeoff.  The only phones that have great isolation and are relatively cool are In-Ear phones.

* The Mad Dogs are lighter than most planar magnetic headphones, but planars are generally heavier than dynamics, mostly due to the magnet.  Again, this just comes with the territory.  The custom double headband helps a lot of that, but it is possibly an issue for a few people.  Note that the otherwise lightest planars are HE-400 at 590 grams, while the Universal Mad Dog 3.2s with 1/4" cable are only 480 grams (for comparison, the Senn HD650s are roughly 360 grams with cable).

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #1,167 of 3,203
Quote:
The 400s are 460g.

That sounds like a "without cable" weight.   All three weights I listed were "with cable", since I did not want to take off the HE-400 cable when I weighed it.
cool.gif

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #1,169 of 3,203
Okay, I have had a chance to compare:

* My brand new "Universal" Mad Dog 3.2 with 1/4" single-ended cable

* Mad Dog 3.0 (with Alpha Pads and included Vmoda cable)

* HE-400 stock (actually with Velour Pads plus some cotton fabric under the pads to puff them up a little more - a trick that I originally saw in an SRH-940 thread)

At this point, I cannot do a direct 3.0 to 3.2 comparison, since the cable systems are different - but I'm sure that someone else has done that before.  I have no idea whether the 3.2 Universal sounds different the regular 3.2 but I should know in a couple of weeks (spoiler).

My conclusions:

* In between the 3.0 and the 3.2, it seems to me that Dan came up with some ways to dampen "ringing" in the T50RP.   Both the 3.0 and the HE-400 sound like speakers in a poorly corrected room, where reflections are allowed to smear the sound (something that is subtle, and might only be noticed by musicians and audio people).  The result of the lack of ringing in the 3.2 Universal is a very accurate timbre, such as you find in some Shure headphone/earphone products.

* The 3.2 Universal retains the excellent lower midrange of the 3.0 and improves the bass response.   This bass response of the 3.2 Universal is now the equal of the HE-400 and the lower midrange is enhanced by the improved bass response.   Most speakers and headphones are a little shy in lower midrange, in my opinion.

* The 3.2 Universal is definitely better balanced than the 3.0 and sounds much better on rock (such as Derek and the Dominoes).

* In comparison with the 3.2, the 3.0 is shown to have a sort of "hollow resonance".   I am going to send my 3.0 for upgrading, and I recommend everyone with 3.0s to do so.   When the 3.0 comes back as a 3.2 (in probably a couple of weeks from now), I will do a comparison with the 3.2 Universal with the 1/4" single-ended cable, and thus determine whether the new connector and cable have any effect on the sound of the Mad Dog.

* The lower weight, better lower midrange, and better timbre of the 3.2 Universal make it superior in my opinion to the HE-400, especially if the isolation is helpful.  If you want a pair of mint condition HE-400s, look at the Classified section here this weekend.

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #1,170 of 3,203
If any of  you have Mad Dog v.3.2 that shipped after/on April 13 w/ the original logo, I'd feel a ton better about the pair I have being shipped to me! (They were not sent in for an update.)

Edit: Never mind. Seller had listed as used for two months but they were actually purchase in beginning of March. I do not have v. 3.2. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back