MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #2,792 of 2,843
Anybody home?

I'm just trying my new Ether 1.1 with a 3.5mm DUM cable that I got with a warranty for $960 Canadian. I'm really enjoying them, but I'm definitely in the honeymoon stage still.

I'd like to go balanced, but am cringing at the cost of a 4-pin DUM cable. What do you guys think?

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #2,793 of 2,843
Anybody home?

I'm just trying my new Ether 1.1 with a 3.5mm DUM cable that I got with a warranty for $960 Canadian. I'm really enjoying them, but I'm definitely in the honeymoon stage still.

I'd like to go balanced, but am cringing at the cost of a 4-pin DUM cable. What do you guys think?

It's really going to depend on what gear you're using. Depending on the amp or DAP, balanced isn't necessarily going to be a lot better.  Mostly, don't spend an amount you're not comfortable spending.

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #2,794 of 2,843
It's really going to depend on what gear you're using. Depending on the amp or DAP, balanced isn't necessarily going to be a lot better.  Mostly, don't spend an amount you're not comfortable spending.
I'm running the rig in my signature, so a Schiit Jotunheim and a Bifrost Multibit. I'd like to use it in balanced mode, but I'm wondering if the DUM is worth it over a generic cable.

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #2,795 of 2,843
I'm running the rig in my signature, so a Schiit Jotunheim and a Bifrost Multibit. I'd like to use it in balanced mode, but I'm wondering if the DUM is worth it over a generic cable.

Heard good things about that equipment, but I've not used it.  Maybe someone with that setup can fill us in.

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #2,796 of 2,843

If you are listening to a Jot/BifrostMB with your Ethers, you will hear an improvement with better cables. The DUM cables are inexpensive compared to many aftermarket cables, and I don't know what cheap "generic" cable you would ever find with those Hirose MrSpeakers connectors... Unless you DIY, I suppose.

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #2,797 of 2,843
Thanks, I got my feet wet with a Canare cable with the proper connectors (they're available). I believe the standard MrSpeakers cable is also Canare wire.

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #2,798 of 2,843
Thanks, I got my feet wet with a Canare cable with the proper connectors (they're available). I believe the standard MrSpeakers cable is also Canare wire.

You believe correctly!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 1, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #2,800 of 2,843
I actually ended up picking up an Ether C with two XLR DUM cables - so now I have the real thing!

I can also say I think I prefer the original voicing for both sets without the 1.1 upgrade.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #2,801 of 2,843
hows the voicing compare? i had the open 1.1 and ended up selling it because i didnt like the sound too much. just curious what differences you hear between the two.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #2,802 of 2,843
  hows the voicing compare? i had the open 1.1 and ended up selling it because i didnt like the sound too much. just curious what differences you hear between the two.

I find it almost like a frequency tilt. The 1.1 seems to raise the bass somewhat, and lowers the trebles by a similar amount. It slightly thickens and smooths out the presentation.

Even though it is subtle, the original version is more to my liking than the 1.1. I do wish there was a "1.05" upgrade that was the same as the 1.1, just half as thick.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #2,803 of 2,843
have you heard the open 1.0 vs. 1.1? ive never listened to the 1.1 closed but have heard the flow. i didnt like it enough to buy either. 

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #2,804 of 2,843
  have you heard the open 1.0 vs. 1.1? ive never listened to the 1.1 closed but have heard the flow. i didnt like it enough to buy either. 

Yep, the open is what I'm describing. My Ether C is 1.0 and I don't plan on changing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back