MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Oct 16, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #5,746 of 5,796
No, not yet. I've owned quite a few DCA headphones (Alpha Dog, Ether, Ether Flow, Ether Flow C, Ether 2, Aeon Flow C) and been very happy with most of them, so it does not seem like a big risk to me. I'm hoping NYC CanJam happens in February and I can get a listen before purchase though.
I suspect you'll wind up liking them like I did, but be prepared for it to be a longer journey than with the Ether Flow / Ether C Flow. Burn them in as much as you can and take your time with coming to a conclusion.

Oct 26, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #5,749 of 5,796
Ether c Flow is quite nice on my trafomatic audio head one. Fells like it could do with more watt though but as always its pleasant. I use it as a preamp to a more poweful solid state which make the setup a hybrid and that was heaven.

Oct 27, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #5,750 of 5,796
Could anyone give me a quick synopsis on how the Ether C compares to the Ether C Flow? Would either of these headphones play nice with a tube hybrid amp
I have C flows and and used mine with a Schiit MJ2, and now have moved on to an AudioValve Solaris. It's wonderful HP to listen too if you need isolation.

Oct 29, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #5,751 of 5,796
Could anyone give me a quick synopsis on how the Ether C compares to the Ether C Flow? Would either of these headphones play nice with a tube hybrid amp?
I have the Ether C which I got upgraded to the Ether C Flow and I'm glad I did. The C's had everything I was looking for except a bottom end. I'm not a basshead and want just enough bass to balance the rest of the sound but the Cs were missing a low end, IMO. Upgrading to the C Flow kept everything I liked about the original C but added a nice tight bottom end.

I have listened to them with my Lyr 2 and Mjolnir 2 and they are excellent with both. I recommend Philips/Telefunken/Valvo tubes with a well-defined top end if that's what you like (I do) but something like an Amperex tube would double down on the bass if that's what you like. A Mullard tube would absolutely pound your brain. It's too much for me but some folks like it that way.

Oct 29, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #5,752 of 5,796
Just got notice my ether c flow ships this weekend :).

Just out of curiousity how do you feel about the tuning pads? When I demoed I had no pads available for the Ether C flow. For the Noire there was some black felt available that I really felt made it a complete disservice. Felt like it overdamped the Noire and also had it congest and made an already small soundstage even smaller on neutral sources like the rme adi-2. It had the soundstage size I expected for a closed magneplanar headphone that isolates so well. The flow managed to positively surprise me in that regard.

Also as of amps what is in theory the highest wattage needed at 23 ohms to really have all the sub bass performance up to say 120 db. I am not listening at those levels don´t worry :p
At what level is power not an issue? I have the thx 789 AAA supposedly at 6W, NFB10.32 a whopping 10W. Though that being a combined dac/amp is kind of limiting as I have other sources I like to use. My stereo receiver give 75W at 8 ohms so it´s volume control is very close to bottom naturally.

Oct 31, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #5,753 of 5,796
I have Ether Flow 1.1 since a week and I'm listening them with HiBy R6 or Monolith THX 887 + SMSL SU-9. At first moments they doesn't make a big sound surprise in compare to my favourite headphones Monolith M1570. They have very very similar sound signature. Ethers are technically better in harder bass attack, separation of instruments, forming correctly layers, better precision, maybe a little faster, a bit bigger presentation - more "slam to your face". Differences are not big and I would say again they are quite similar. I would name it as very musical neutral tuning at exactly centre of warm/cold tonality. M1570 have a better depth propably because of deeper earpads and more open backs. Ethers are semi-closed in my opinion.

Ethers are loosing much on different earpads. I don't have original ones but it seems Dekoni angled quite flat sheepskin are best ones for me. Very huge dissapoint on velour earpads - completely no bass. On thick angled sheepskin like on M1570 they are loosing bass and sound became too light + headband pressure not comfortable.

Tryed tuning pads and white ones are completely out of my interest because of much muffling everything. I almost gave up other variants but I found black pads are quite good and made sound more pleasant without loosing details and bass. I stayed with them as well tuned set for my preferences.

Comfort is not comparable to M1570 because of almost 1/2 weight difference.

Summary. Ethers I got used for less than 1/2 store price so they will stay with me as primary headphones. M1570 are bargain at their price.

Attachments

• EF.JPG
    EF.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 31, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #5,754 of 5,796
I have Ether Flow 1.1 since a week and I'm listening them with HiBy R6 or Monolith THX 887 + SMSL SU-9. At first moments they doesn't make a big sound surprise in compare to my favourite headphones Monolith M1570. They have very very similar sound signature. Ethers are technically better in harder bass attack, separation of instruments, forming correctly layers, better precision, maybe a little faster, a bit bigger presentation - more "slam to your face". Differences are not big and I would say again they are quite similar. I would name it as very musical neutral tuning at exactly centre of warm/cold tonality. M1570 have a better depth propably because of deeper earpads and more open backs. Ethers are semi-closed in my opinion.

Ethers are loosing much on different earpads. I don't have original ones but it seems Dekoni angled quite flat sheepskin are best ones for me. Very huge dissapoint on velour earpads - completely no bass. On thick angled sheepskin like on M1570 they are loosing bass and sound became too light + headband pressure not comfortable.

Tryed tuning pads and white ones are completely out of my interest because of much muffling everything. I almost gave up other variants but I found black pads are quite good and made sound more pleasant without loosing details and bass. I stayed with them as well tuned set for my preferences.

Comfort is not comparable to M1570 because of almost 1/2 weight difference.

Summary. Ethers I got used for less than 1/2 store price so they will stay with me as primary headphones. M1570 are bargain at their price.
I found the black foam with the black felt gives the best SQ for me. I have the original MrSpeakers pads (which I prefer to the later angled pads). If you want to eke a little more performance from the Flow 1.1's, which I still rate as one of the very best sounding headphones available, I would recommend a cable upgrade. I use mine with the Chord Hugo TT2 and in this set up I really like the Forza Audio Works Noir HPC Mk II, though the Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid also works very well and may even be better with your Monolith amp, which I haven't heard. For my taste I find the Noir Hybrid a better match for the Ether 2's, in my system.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #5,755 of 5,796
I found the black foam with the black felt gives the best SQ for me. I have the original MrSpeakers pads (which I prefer to the later angled pads). If you want to eke a little more performance from the Flow 1.1's, which I still rate as one of the very best sounding headphones available, I would recommend a cable upgrade. I use mine with the Chord Hugo TT2 and in this set up I really like the Forza Audio Works Noir HPC Mk II, though the Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid also works very well and may even be better with your Monolith amp, which I haven't heard. For my taste I find the Noir Hybrid a better match for the Ether 2's, in my system.
I make my own cables based on Canare Starquad conductor. I find they are same sound quality as Forza Audio and Audio Sensibility pure copper cables which I did compare in person. A person who bought HEX from me said that he preffer sound signature from my cable instead of original HiFimans silver coated copper cable.

Original Ether flat earpads for 79,99 USD are to expensive in my opinion. I'm checking for cheaper alternative option.

Nov 6, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #5,756 of 5,796
Had mine for a week now and it´s pretty much a homerun. For truly closed just have to be freaking hard to do better. For the first time ever I am never really rushing for my Kennerton Magni whenever I get a chance. These two have a near perfect frequency response curve to my ears.

Feels like a job but I decided I want to at least try the filters. The old youtube video I think is not relevant any longer? the tuning pads that came with don´t have the notches. I also don´t believe I should remove any white felt before applying the tuning pads? On the Noire you could put on the tuning filters without removing the ear cup but for the ether flow pads they do have a net and it appears you are still supposed to have them between the driver and the pad and not in the pad itself?

Nov 6, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #5,757 of 5,796
Had mine for a week now and it´s pretty much a homerun. For truly closed just have to be freaking hard to do better. For the first time ever I am never really rushing for my Kennerton Magni whenever I get a chance. These two have a near perfect frequency response curve to my ears.

Feels like a job but I decided I want to at least try the filters. The old youtube video I think is not relevant any longer? the tuning pads that came with don´t have the notches. I also don´t believe I should remove any white felt before applying the tuning pads? On the Noire you could put on the tuning filters without removing the ear cup but for the ether flow pads they do have a net and it appears you are still supposed to have them between the driver and the pad and not in the pad itself?
Ether Flow upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1 means changing pads which cover drivers. With tuning pads for Ethers you put them inside earpad without removing them.

Nov 6, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #5,758 of 5,796
Ether Flow upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1 means changing pads which cover drivers. With tuning pads for Ethers you put them inside earpad without removing them.
Ah yes seem to be so also for the flow. Managed to get them to sit flat.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #5,760 of 5,796

I would be interested to hear your impressions on how the Magni compares to the Ether C FLow. I just picked up a Magni and really enjoy it but was also considering the Ether. I have a feeling it might be my next headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back