MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
May 30, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #5,657 of 5,796
Wanted to buy the Ether Flow angled pads for my HE560 but they're still not available and my old pads are literally falling apart. Can anybody comment on whether the non angled version makes much of a difference sonically and/or in terms of pad quality?

*and comfort

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #5,658 of 5,796
Currently looking for a good pair of Closed Back headphones and was wondering whether anyone could comment on the sound of the Ether C Flow vs something like the Aeon Flow 2 Closed or the Fostex TH 900 MK2
For impact, staging, and detail, I prefer the C Flow Closed. For comfort and relaxed listening, the Æon Closed (started with the original, but now Æon 2). I also found that the Æon (both original and 2) needs more power than the C Flow to sound at its best. Amps I've liked with both: Neurochrome HP-1, Schiit Lyr 3, SPL Phonitor XE.

May 31, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #5,659 of 5,796
For impact, staging, and detail, I prefer the C Flow Closed. For comfort and relaxed listening, the Æon Closed (started with the original, but now Æon 2). I also found that the Æon (both original and 2) needs more power than the C Flow to sound at its best. Amps I've liked with both: Neurochrome HP-1, Schiit Lyr 3, SPL Phonitor XE.
Seems increasingly likely that I will end up going for a pair of Aeon 2 Closed and later upgrade to something else if I feel that it doesn't meet my needs. Thanks!

May 31, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #5,660 of 5,796
Flows came originally with the angled pads. Estat pads were made for their electrostatic headphones, but will fit the Flows. Alpha and flat pads I believe were sold for earlier models.
If the VOCE estat pads fit the Ether Flow, and the Ether Flow pads fit the HifiMan HE560, is it a safe bet that the VOCE estat pads fit the HE560?

Jul 5, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #5,662 of 5,796
I just obtained some new Ether C Flows on trial to compare with my ZMF Eikons. I really like the Eikons but find them a little bit rolled off at the top end (ie not quite bright enough) for my taste.

I am a bit disappointed with the Ether C Flows so far. The top end is a bit brighter than the Eikons (good), but the bass - especially sub-bass - is a little less than the Eikons (bad). And worst of all the mids seem thin on the Ether C Flows and nowhere near as good as on the Eikons.

I wondered whether part of the problem is that the Ether C Flows are not burned-in? What changes might I hear when the Ether C Flows are burned in properly?

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #5,663 of 5,796
I just obtained some new Ether C Flows on trial to compare with my ZMF Eikons. I really like the Eikons but find them a little bit rolled off at the top end (ie not quite bright enough) for my taste.

I am a bit disappointed with the Ether C Flows so far. The top end is a bit brighter than the Eikons (good), but the bass - especially sub-bass - is a little less than the Eikons (bad). And worst of all the mids seem thin on the Ether C Flows and nowhere near as good as on the Eikons.

I wondered whether part of the problem is that the Ether C Flows are not burned-in? What changes might I hear when the Ether C Flows are burned in properly?
It could also be that they don’t pair well with your amp. But yeah, burn in is a thing with Ether C Flow.

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #5,664 of 5,796

I have owned the Ether c Flows a few times and your experience is how they are meant to sound. Nothing in the audio spectrum is accentuated,the bass extends very low, but is on the light side, same with vocals. The sound sig is very neutral.

To really appreciate the ether c flow you need to live with it for a while. Swapping quickly leads you to believe that it is thin sounding but in reality it’s just a different tuning that is very good and natural.

Eikon is going to have much better bass since it is tuned that way. The bio dynamic driver will also be more impactful and fun sounding. Especially when directly compared… Even the HD 600 seems to have better base then Ether sometimes. YMMV

Jul 5, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #5,665 of 5,796
It could also be that they don’t pair well with your amp. But yeah, burn in is a thing with Ether C Flow.
Can just say for my Ether C the first set and burn in was a real thing it definitely added some bass but more sub bass and not much mid bass.

Jul 6, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #5,666 of 5,796
If you want Bass and soundstage Try ZMF COWHIDE pad.
Also the pads are bigger!, don't put any damper only the pad. I'm only using my EFO with these cowhide pads, i feel the original pads aren't fun as the zmf cowhide.. i like the better bass response.
1594008183170.png

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #5,667 of 5,796
Do you think Ether C Flow 1.1 are the best closed headphones ?
How they compared to Focal Stellia? Denon 9200 ? Sony Z1R ?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #5,668 of 5,796
This question has been already posted in the thread of DCA A2C, apologize for those following that and this thread.

Thinking seriously sell my MrSpeakers Ether Flow Open to reinvest on Aeon 2 Closed. Could any of you that would have tested both tell me the main loses I would get?

I love my EFO but family complains about the sound linkage. I pair them with HiBy R5 DAP and with Chord Mojo, listening classic and progressive rock, and jazz guitar

Do you think it's worth?
Thanks for your help.

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #5,669 of 5,796
This question has been already posted in the thread of DCA A2C, apologize for those following that and this thread.

Thinking seriously sell my MrSpeakers Ether Flow Open to reinvest on Aeon 2 Closed. Could any of you that would have tested both tell me the main loses I would get?

I love my EFO but family complains about the sound linkage. I pair them with HiBy R5 DAP and with Chord Mojo, listening classic and progressive rock, and jazz guitar

Do you think it's worth?
Thanks for your help.
I have both the Ether Flow closed and the Æon 2 closed. The Æon is a lot pickier about amp power. For instance, it sounds muffled with my DAP (A&ultima SP1000m). No such problem with the Ether Flow.

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #5,670 of 5,796
I have both the Ether Flow closed and the Æon 2 closed. The Æon is a lot pickier about amp power. For instance, it sounds muffled with my DAP (A&ultima SP1000m). No such problem with the Ether Flow.
Thanks, hope someone has EFO and a ring setup closer to mine; what you say makes sense need to know about how good is pairing A2C with Mojo/R5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back