MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jan 25, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #5,447 of 5,796
That's some nice gear and it was still too light for you? I mean I sorta feel the same way with the Hugo TT2 and the E2. It has good impact, transparency, and depth and I normally like the sound of solid state amps, but I do feel that adding a tube or hybrid amp could get me closer to what I want as far as sound is concerned by adding a little warmth. Or maybe pickup the EF1.1 (not sure if open or closed would be better for me as I'm just looking into it) for the amount of musicality that I think the E2 is lacking.

On the TT2 try the first cross feed.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 29, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #5,448 of 5,796
Having finally (after an hour of trying - don't laugh) mastered the wretched earpad attachment system on my Ether Flow Open's (a clip on earpad system a la Oppo PM-1 would be so much easier to use) I've been able to install the 1.1 upgrade and new earpads.
The main thing which has struck me about the 1.1 upgrade is that it brings everything into much better focus. It is much easier to hear previously obscured instrumental and vocal detail. It is also easier to follow individual musical lines and the interaction of the musicians playing together.
I've yet to make a final decision on whether I prefer the new or old earpads - either on comfort or SQ. I'll need to do a lot more listening.
On the damping front no damping with either earpad is too bright for my taste, The white felt damps the sound a bit too much for my taste and equipment: Oppo UDP-205 transport/ Chord Hugo TT DAC/Violectric V281 Amp. I prefer a livelier sound so I like the black felt with the new earpads or the black felt or foam with the old earpads, I hope to decide on a 'just right' combo at some stage!
To those worried about losing the SQ they have - the 1.1 upgrade is easily reversible and especially if you live in the USA a 'cheap as chips' no brainer. I paid just over £160 including express delivery and customs fees for my 1.1 kit and new earpads but I regard it as money very well spent. I've spent more on upgrades in the past and got a lot less improvement.
So thanks to MrSpeakers for making a great headphone even better!

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #5,449 of 5,796
Having finally (after an hour of trying - don't laugh) mastered the wretched earpad attachment system on my Ether Flow Open's (a clip on earpad system a la Oppo PM-1 would be so much easier to use) I've been able to install the 1.1 upgrade and new earpads.
The main thing which has struck me about the 1.1 upgrade is that it brings everything into much better focus. It is much easier to hear previously obscured instrumental and vocal detail. It is also easier to follow individual musical lines and the interaction of the musicians playing together.
I've yet to make a final decision on whether I prefer the new or old earpads - either on comfort or SQ. I'll need to do a lot more listening.
On the damping front no damping with either earpad is too bright for my taste, The white felt damps the sound a bit too much for my taste and equipment: Oppo UDP-205 transport/ Chord Hugo TT DAC/Violectric V281 Amp. I prefer a livelier sound so I like the black felt with the new earpads or the black felt or foam with the old earpads, I hope to decide on a 'just right' combo at some stage!
To those worried about losing the SQ they have - the 1.1 upgrade is easily reversible and especially if you live in the USA a 'cheap as chips' no brainer. I paid just over £160 including express delivery and customs fees for my 1.1 kit and new earpads but I regard it as money very well spent. I've spent more on upgrades in the past and got a lot less improvement.

Have you by chance tried your new Ethers just only with that gorgeous DAC you've got? They don't need that much juice coming out of the Violectric... And, what's more, you'll even get more detail plugging the EFOs directly to the Chord.

I'm curious about your impressions after this small trial.

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #5,450 of 5,796
Have you by chance tried your new Ethers just only with that gorgeous DAC you've got? They don't need that much juice coming out of the Violectric... And, what's more, you'll even get more detail plugging the EFOs directly to the Chord.

I'm curious about your impressions after this small trial.
I only have a balanced cable for the Ether Flow Open's and the Chord Hugo TT is single ended headphone input. I chose balanced when I purchased them as I have come to prefer balanced headphone operation over the past few years. I also prefer my Sennheiser HD800's and Oppo Pm-1's in balanced mode even though I have heard them in single ended mode via the TT.
People don't just buy the Violectric V281 because they need the power (though some of them do of course) they buy it because of the superb sound quality.
There seems to be a school of thought among some Chord fans that it is anathema to use an external headphone amp with any Chord DAC/Headphone amp - the implication being that Chord have achieved perfection in their headphone amps. This is not an opinion I share in spite of being a huge fan of their DAC's and a fan of their headphone amps! This opinion may change later in the year when I plan to have a proper audition of the TT2 which sounded the best of any Chord headphone amp I have yet heard at CanJam London last year.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #5,452 of 5,796

With a Ether Flow 1.1 on the way, the angled flow earpads being sold on the site are different than what the Flow shipped with?
Also if you have more impressions on the different felts of the 1.1 kit I'd love to hear them, I've been trying to research what the differences are to no luck.

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #5,453 of 5,796
I only have a balanced cable for the Ether Flow Open's and the Chord Hugo TT is single ended headphone input. I chose balanced when I purchased them as I have come to prefer balanced headphone operation over the past few years. I also prefer my Sennheiser HD800's and Oppo Pm-1's in balanced mode even though I have heard them in single ended mode via the TT.
People don't just buy the Violectric V281 because they need the power (though some of them do of course) they buy it because of the superb sound quality.
There seems to be a school of thought among some Chord fans that it is anathema to use an external headphone amp with any Chord DAC/Headphone amp - the implication being that Chord have achieved perfection in their headphone amps. This is not an opinion I share in spite of being a huge fan of their DAC's and a fan of their headphone amps! This opinion may change later in the year when I plan to have a proper audition of the TT2 which sounded the best of any Chord headphone amp I have yet heard at CanJam London last year.

It's really a pity you don't have an adapter around you... Not because I'm a Chord fan or not, just for having you the chance of listening the Ethers right out of your TT. The TT2 can for sure rock your pants off when plugged to the Senns or those Ethers.

Jan 29, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #5,454 of 5,796
With a Ether Flow 1.1 on the way, the angled flow earpads being sold on the site are different than what the Flow shipped with?
Also if you have more impressions on the different felts of the 1.1 kit I'd love to hear them, I've been trying to research what the differences are to no luck.
If you have a pair of Ether Flow 1.1's on the way I would imagine that they have the latest angled pads. I bought mine over two years ago so the pads which came with mine are different. This is what MrSpeakers has to say about the tuning pads:
upload_2019-1-29_22-8-1.png

Jan 29, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #5,455 of 5,796
Hope that helps - sorry for the clunky presentation. I agree with MrSpeakers analysis but am not keen on the white felt which as I said above is a bit too damped for my taste/equipment. How the felts work will very much depend on what other equipment your using the Ether's with and you personal taste in sound quality. As I said above no felt/foam is too bright for me the black foam adds some smoothness but still gives a 'lively 'presentation. Black felt is possibly my favourite between damping or controlling the sound and allowing the music to breath. That's not definitive - I have a fair bit more listening to do before I come to a final choice.

Jan 29, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #5,456 of 5,796
Sorry I fudged that up,I have the 1.0 on the way.
I'll have a look over that, thank you!

Jan 29, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #5,457 of 5,796
@mrspeakers
Random question, just a curiosity, was there any other material considerations for the cup other than carbon fiber? If so what?

We tried wood and plastic too.

We switched to a firmer foam about a year and a half ago, the change in ear pads only applies to older headphones.

Hope that helps - sorry for the clunky presentation. I agree with MrSpeakers analysis but am not keen on the white felt which as I said above is a bit too damped for my taste/equipment. How the felts work will very much depend on what other equipment your using the Ether's with and you personal taste in sound quality. As I said above no felt/foam is too bright for me the black foam adds some smoothness but still gives a 'lively 'presentation. Black felt is possibly my favourite between damping or controlling the sound and allowing the music to breath. That's not definitive - I have a fair bit more listening to do before I come to a final choice.

The white felt actually "burns in" as particulates left over from manufacturing blow out of the air path, at least that is our theory. You can instantly "burn in" the white felt by placing it against your mouth and blowing hard through it, moving it once or twice to clear most of the area. Normal use takes 1-2 days. For this reason I suggest living with the tuning parts for a day or two before swapping back and forth. The clarity from the white felt can be quite good, but it will definitely be a warmer, less bright tone. Personally I really like that on a lot of studio recordings.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 30, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #5,458 of 5,796
I laughed :)

Jan 30, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #5,459 of 5,796

You may want to check with Dan if it as easily reversible as you say. If I recall correctly, I think you need to send them back to MrSpeakers to reverse it.

Jan 30, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #5,460 of 5,796
You may want to check with Dan if it as easily reversible as you say. If I recall correctly, I think you need to send them back to MrSpeakers to reverse it.
This is what MrSpeakers posted about the 1.1 kit in reply to your concerns about reversing it on Dec 14th last year: 'The switch is reversible, but once you reverse it the paper won't adhere and you need a new kit.' That makes sense to me although I haven't tried it as I don't want the expense of ordering a new 1.1 kit. All that needs to be done is to remove the new paper sticker and then replace the old original foam. Or am I missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back