MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Oct 8, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #5,206 of 5,796
A number of people asked me if there will be an ETHER 2 closed. At this time, the ETHER 2 drive is less efficient than the ETHER, and closed cups loose even more efficiency. For this reason, as it stands the E2 isn't really the right platform for a DAP friendly closed headphone, so there's nothing imminent on the roadmap and ECF 1.1 will continue to be our flagship closed. I don't normally post anything about future product direction, but this question predictably came up really often so I wanted to provide some clarity that this is a "don't hold your breath" answer... :)
Personally, I don't need an Ether 2C to be DAP friendly per se. I used closed headphones at my desk setup, not mobile. If Ether 2 is an upgraded headphone compared to Ether Flow, I would want that in a new closed form regardless if it is mobile friendly.

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #5,208 of 5,796
Personally, I don't need an Ether 2C to be DAP friendly per se. I used closed headphones at my desk setup, not mobile. If Ether 2 is an upgraded headphone compared to Ether Flow, I would want that in a new closed form regardless if it is mobile friendly.
That is exactly my situation as well

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #5,209 of 5,796
I appreciate the feedback but with our resources we can't make too many models; a closed must support portable and office/home use or the market will be limited.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 8, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #5,210 of 5,796
The 1.1 upgrade was stupid silly to apply. Even with my meaty paws I didn't have any issues. Great job on that by the @mrspeakers team.

I'm using Flow C 1.1 directly out of my Hugo 2. Like someone else mentioned in the thread, there is more room under the pads after removing the stock foam inserts. I had to adjust the sliders down slightly and the fit/comfort seems to actually have improved some.

Right away with the 1.1 upgrade you notice an increase in transparency and resolution. It's pretty significant and immediately drew me into the same tracks I just listened to several times. Everything also seems to be a tad more crisp and immediate. Also noticeably gone is the mid bass bump and slight warmness the Flow C had. This presents a more overall neutral sound profile, which reminds me more of the original Ether C tuning. I'm sure with the tuning pads, you'll be able to reintroduce the original Flow C profile, so it's really a win-win. Also the sub-bass seems to be relatively the same. Right now I'm going to listen some more with no tuning pads. Then I'll start swapping in some inserts and post my impressions later.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #5,211 of 5,796
I appreciate the feedback but with our resources we can't make too many models; a closed must support portable and office/home use or the market will be limited.
Fair enough Dan. In that case, how about the argument that the R&D that was spent on E2 should need to satisfy both open and closed models or the market would be limited in covering those costs :)

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #5,213 of 5,796
This is the '' new pad '' ?, it look the same older pad, but i think it's only reference and mrspeakers will ship the new pad, i say this because i hae bad seal with my old pads

Ty
https://www.mrspeakers.com/shop/accessories/ear-pads/ether-c-angled-ear-pads.html

Probably just an old photo. That’s the pad you’d want. It’s OOS.

The 1.1 upgrade was stupid silly to apply. Even with my meaty paws I didn't have any issues. Great job on that by the @mrspeakers team.

I'm using Flow C 1.1 directly out of my Hugo 2. Like someone else mentioned in the thread, there is more room under the pads after removing the stock foam inserts. I had to adjust the sliders down slightly and the fit/comfort seems to actually have improved some.

Right away with the 1.1 upgrade you notice an increase in transparency and resolution. It's pretty significant and immediately drew me into the same tracks I just listened to several times. Everything also seems to be a tad more crisp and immediate. Also noticeably gone is the mid bass bump and slight warmness the Flow C had. This presents a more overall neutral sound profile, which reminds me more of the original Ether C tuning. I'm sure with the tuning pads, you'll be able to reintroduce the original Flow C profile, so it's really a win-win. Also the sub-bass seems to be relatively the same. Right now I'm going to listen some more with no tuning pads. Then I'll start swapping in some inserts and post my impressions later.

Any thoughts on those new pads?

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #5,214 of 5,796
Oct 9, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #5,215 of 5,796
Upgrade installation directions are added to the website on the order pages for the curious. Also posting here for convenience...

If anything is unclear let me know, please.

Which are your appreciations Dan regarding the sound change, only with the paper decal, paper & felt and finally paper, felt & foam?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 9, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #5,216 of 5,796

I received my kit today, and I second this opinion. With the black inserts, it reminds me of the original Ether C. More transparency with holographic sounds, but losing some bass responses. With the while filters, it is more like Ether C Flow. I will spend more time with them.

Oct 10, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #5,217 of 5,796
Got my 1.1 upgrade kit today and just did the mod to my Ether Flows. I was expecting a subtle change in sound but must say it´s rather significant. Listening right now with just the paper decals and no tuning pads. It really feels like a veil has been lifted from the sound. The only gripe I had with these headphones were that they sounded just slightly muffled to me. Looking forward to experimenting with the tuning pads now.
Well done Dan and MrSpeakers:clap:

Oct 10, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #5,218 of 5,796
Got my 1.1 upgrade kit today and just did the mod to my Ether Flows. I was expecting a subtle change in sound but must say it´s rather significant. Listening right now with just the paper decals and no tuning pads. It really feels like a veil has been lifted from the sound. The only gripe I had with these headphones were that they sounded just slightly muffled to me. Looking forward to experimenting with the tuning pads now.
Well done Dan and MrSpeakers:clap:

How do you like the Ether Flow 1.1's compared to the Clear?

Oct 10, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #5,219 of 5,796
How do you like the Ether Flow 1.1's compared to the Clear?

I will have to do some A/B-ing now after the upgrade but no question the sound signature got a lot closer to the Clear as I feel it opened up. Increased detail and clarity for sure. And as before IMO a wider sound stage and more even presentation than the Clear. I assume that is mainly because the Ether Flow is a planar magnetic headphone.

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #5,220 of 5,796
I will have to do some A/B-ing now after the upgrade but no question the sound signature got a lot closer to the Clear as I feel it opened up. Increased detail and clarity for sure. And as before IMO a wider sound stage and more even presentation than the Clear. I assume that is mainly because the Ether Flow is a planar magnetic headphone.

Good to know... I've heard the Elear and the Utopia, so I'm having to guess a bit about what the Clear sounds like, but it keeps sounding like what I really want is an Elex and a fast, resolving planar to complement it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back