MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jan 5, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #3,406 of 5,796
Can I ask you what's your first impression after the A/B? I did the sam, just curious. 

I did 2 days of A/B with them. First day was using the new Sony amp and the second was with a Questyle cma 600i. First day was mainly classic rock (Fleetwood mac's Rumors was one of them), and one Bonobo track at the end. The Sony amp was hooked up to a Parasound CD player. After the first day it was difficult for me to much of a diiffence between the 2. Both having great articulation and instrument separation. The bass of the Sony I realized seemed slightly greater in amount. The couple songs I listened to on Tidal were from The band Bonobo and that's where I heard the biggest difference in the bass... So the second day I did the test I ran straight out of the 600i and used Tidal. Listened to more electronica and realized easily that the bass of the Z1R was boosted compared to the Ether c flow. It needs to be said that even though it's boosted I found it to not interrupt the other frequencies. It just was deeper and more of it. When listening to a violin track that's when I realized that the Z1R almost sounded "wet" compared to the Ether. Like there was more of a 3D effect to the sound. Difficult for me to explain.... anyways at the end of both days It took me a lot longer to finally hear the differences between the 2 (minus the bass which was eveident). Both are excellent in my opinion. It's just a matter of preference on wanting close to neutral but still remains musical (the Ether c flow) or someone who enjoys boosted bass and whatever that liquid sound was ha. I had a great time with both!

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #3,409 of 5,796
.... It's just a matter of preference on wanting close to neutral but still remains musical (the Ether c flow) or someone who enjoys boosted bass and whatever that liquid sound was ha. I had a great time with both!

Indeed, two excellent choices. We headphone enthusiasts are truly spoiled these days, we pay dearly for the performance, but at least the performance is there to justify the expense. Cheers.

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #3,410 of 5,796
  Indeed, two excellent choices. We headphone enthusiasts are truly spoiled these days, we pay dearly for the performance, but at least the performance is there to justify the expense. Cheers.

And most people really don't understand how much these types of headphones are hand-made and involve low-volume production. I've been to Dan's location in San Diego and it's not big at all. A good deal of the space is taken up by a number of larger 3D printing machines (fill a whole room, although I hear he has even more now). It's not like a Sony or Bose manufacturer with production lines and lots of machines doing assembly on large number of products, it's a fairly small number of dedicated men and women doing most of the work by hand. R&D budgets are not big, and essentially come out of the owner putting their own money back into the business (many don't have any outside equity backers providing capital). And in a testament to Dan I understand that he has very low turnover in his staff, so he's doing something right not only with his cans but with his people. Tip of the glass to Dan and people like him (Ken Ball is the same way) that pour their hearts into this hobby and bring us awesome products. Cheers and happy listening

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #3,411 of 5,796
Good to be reminded how this is almost artisan, with skill care and attention. Good sound is only part of the equation. An ethical and passionate company doing good things for what is a relatively small community. Growing as well which us great..Great sound doesn't hurt though.. Jealous not to have a peek in the factory.
Keep the good fight always...

Dave

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #3,412 of 5,796
I think you two would have had a great time talking to Dan when he came over to the store on Dec 23. I thought it was awesome that he would take the time to sit and let customers ask him any questions they wanted. The amount of thought he puts into development is astonishing. Thanks again Dan.

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #3,413 of 5,796
P.s. I didn't notice a cable termination option on the upgrade page. Did I miss that? Will email my option noting the order number.

The upgrade program doesn't exchange your cable.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 5, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #3,414 of 5,796

Ah. Missed that. Was looking forward to the new cable. It's OK tho. Thanks for the reply.

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #3,415 of 5,796

Not even my gnarly and rambunctious v1 DUM cable? 
wink.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #3,418 of 5,796
Just wanted to share my experience with the ether flows and the chord mojo. I know a few have questioned the mojo's ability to drive the ethers. Well...I can categorically say they do! I travel quite a bit so a quality mobile rig is a must. With the mojo paired with my ibasso dx90 and the ether flows....This is as close to a perfect travelling rig as I can imagine. The ethers are sufficiently compact...And the case is great. Don't listen to tyll....It's a thing of beauty!

The mojo drives the ether flows beautifully...With plenty of headroom. Sound is open, airy and fluid, but with enough bass warmth to suit many music genres.

Anyway...Thought I'd just report on my experience for others considering this combo.

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #3,419 of 5,796
Just wanted to share my experience with the ether flows and the chord mojo. I know a few have questioned the mojo's ability to drive the ethers. Well...I can categorically say they do! I travel quite a bit so a quality mobile rig is a must. With the mojo paired with my ibasso dx90 and the ether flows....This is as close to a perfect travelling rig as I can imagine. The ethers are sufficiently compact...And the case is great. Don't listen to tyll....It's a thing of beauty!

The mojo drives the ether flows beautifully...With plenty of headroom. Sound is open, airy and fluid, but with enough bass warmth to suit many music genres.

Anyway...Thought I'd just report on my experience for others considering this combo.

I agree,the case is actually terrific...compact,perfect fit for the HP's and very secure....perfect IMHO and the Mojo has absolutely no problem driving the Ether Flow

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #3,420 of 5,796
IMO, whoever says the Mojo can't drive the ETHER headphones is talking more about preference than drive ability. The Mojo easily handles all the ETHER headphones and sounds great to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back