MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Sep 3, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #1,936 of 5,796
Just playing with the camera again. :)

Sep 3, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #1,937 of 5,796
Just playing with the camera again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Terrific picture! I like it lots.

Sep 4, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #1,938 of 5,796
Even more C Flow listening impressions: well-recorded jazz double bass is amazing on these headphones. Listening to "Apex" led by Rudresh Mahanthappa and Bunky Green both on sax, with Jason Moran (yes!) on piano, François Moutin on double bass, and alternating Damion Reid and Jack DeJohnette (the one!) on drums. Beautifully recorded, with all the brilliance of the two sax players right up front and close, all the other instruments taking their places great clarity and authority, and that double bass with such heft propelling the whole set from the back, and filling the stage on solos. This setup is keeping me way too late, I'm wondering whether I will sleep at all when the Liquid Carbon arrives to take the place of the Asgard 2 and I go balanced. Update: One thing I forgot to say in earlier impressions is that the C Flows are much less fatiguing than my Alpha Primes, even at higher volume. It feels like the Primes added a bit of harshness from the midrange up compared with the C Flows.

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #1,940 of 5,796
Just playing with the camera again. :)

These companies should seriously hire you to take all their headphone head shots.

Your review of the Focal Utopia was simply one of the best I've ever read and I don't mean that lightly. The material was not only accessible, but then you compared the sonic qualities to photography and I finally understood the idiom "a picture is worth 1000 words". I look forward to your detailed impressions of the Flow once it's fully burned in and possibly a later review. No pressure!

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #1,941 of 5,796
These companies should seriously hire you to take all their headphone head shots.

Your review of the Focal Utopia was simply one of the best I've ever read and I don't mean that lightly. The material was not only accessible, but then you compared the sonic qualities to photography and I finally understood the idiom "a picture is worth 1000 words". I look forward to your detailed impressions of the Flow once it's fully burned in and possibly a later review. No pressure!

Wow, thanks for the great compliments! I'll try to do my best to articulate what I hear with the ETHER Flow as well. It's certainly different from the Utopia, which is such a different and noticeable change from any headphone I've heard before (in a good way), but that price.... I'm needing some time to wrap my brain around what I'm hearing with the Flow.

:beerchug:

Sep 5, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #1,942 of 5,796
Wow, thanks for the great compliments! I'll try to do my best to articulate what I hear with the ETHER Flow as well. It's certainly different from the Utopia, which is such a different and noticeable change from any headphone I've heard before (in a good way), but that price.... I'm needing some time to wrap my brain around what I'm hearing with the Flow.

beerchug.gif

Ah yes, the price.  I seem to have mentally set a $2000 purchasing limit in my head that I just can't seem to get past.  But I must say I have no regrets whatsoever with the Flows.  Not burned in yet, they sounded great out of the box, but they seem to be getting better by the hour (maybe brain burn in?). Can't imagine how much better they might sound after more hours.   I'm certain I am going to have a very good relationship with these phones.  I probably should make an effort not to audition the Utopias. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #1,943 of 5,796
  And here I was being very happy with my Ether C V1.1, listened to the Ether C flow and didn't like it at all, closed the book on the possibility of the upgrade.  Ill have to wait for another meet and someone hopefully will have a C Flow to demo.  

I'm really surprised what I heard didn't show up on the sweep test, but I guess I can say I have "very trained ears" now. lol.  

What is it that you didn't like about the C Flow? Is it because there are still mid bass light?

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #1,945 of 5,796
The pair I heard at the Chicago meet had a QC issue and as a result the tuning was off.

Ahh, then I'll just have to wait till you get another impression. I'm contemplating the upgrade but I can't compare between the Ether C 1.1 & C Flow. Also, my only issue with the Ether C 1.1 is just the lack of mid bass. Makes it hard to appreciate rock and metal genre music. I shall make a balanced cable for my Ponoplayer and hope the increase in power will magically bring the mid bass to life (though not by much I imagine).

Sep 5, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #1,949 of 5,796
Specifically that it had a 1 micron material vs. 5 micron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back