MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Aug 15, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #1,246 of 5,796
Shifting back to the isolation thing... I know the Flow C is basically the same, from what I read here.

But I never handled the former C. So don't have a frame of reference.

In terms of comparison to something I know, the Maddog 3.2 or AlphaPrime ... does the C isolate more, less or the same?

Thanx

I had the Alpha Dogs for a while and from what I can remember the isolation is very similiar. Maybe few dB less on the Ether C but not noticeable in normal use

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #1,248 of 5,796
I had the Alpha Dogs for a while and from what I can remember the isolation is very similiar. Maybe few dB less on the Ether C but not noticeable in normal use

Thank you.

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #1,249 of 5,796
Two months ago I was in Taiwan and I picked up the Nighthawk. Last month I was in HK and I picked up the HEX. I am back in HK on Wednesday and just from reading you all I just might go with the FLOW!!! I have bought all my gear this year unseen and unheard. I am an impulse buyer. Please please please someone here tell me with all the gear I have I am going for an overkill. Help me out guys please......... anybody........somebody.......

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #1,250 of 5,796
Had the chance to listen to all four Ether variants at the Chicago Head-fi meet this weekend.  All of them were powered by my Chord Mojo and I used my stock 3.5 mm cable throughout as I switched back and forth.  I have the Ether C with 1.1 upgrade installed, no tuning pads, so that is what I am used to and my baseline.  

First off the weight difference with the flows is a non-issue in my opinion.  I went back and forth with my Ether Cs and the C Flows and didn't notice a difference.   Only time I noticed the weight change was when holding both out on a finger to compare.  Open variants, same conclusion.

Second, the Ether C flow carbon fiber and the blue on the open Flows looks really good.  From pictures, I wasn't sure I like the cups on the C flows but in person they look really good.  Again this is just my opinion.  

On to sound.  I started with my Cs and the C flows.   On first listen I was surprised how big of a difference it was, generally these tweaks are subtle.  To keep it short I really didn't like the C Flows.  The boosted bottom end really didn't play nice with the upper registers.  I felt details were getting masked/veiled in songs.  Keb Mo - Everything I need has a lot of smaller details that play and give a good sense of the room it was recorded in, with the Ether C Flows these were masked or just harder to hear compared to my Cs.  I actually checked to see if a couple black or a white tuning pad was installed at one point as that is what it reminded me off.  For those who think the Ether C is to lean, you may be happy here but for me (along with a couple others I talked with) I don't want to give up the Ether Cs detail and high end.  I also noticed that I was giving the C Flows between 2 and 4 clicks up on volume on my Mojo to get the listening level I wanted.  They are either slightly less efficient or I was using the volume control to try and pull out the upper registers a bit more.  

The Ether Flows on the other hand....   If I didn't want the closed version I would have to think about upgrading.  I felt the Flow gave the bottom end boost that I sometimes want in my Cs but without losing the detail like what happened with the Ether C Flow.  

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #1,251 of 5,796
Two months ago I was in Taiwan and I picked up the Nighthawk. Last month I was in HK and I picked up the HEX. I am back in HK on Wednesday and just from reading you all I just might go with the FLOW!!! I have bought all my gear this year unseen and unheard. I am an impulse buyer. Please please please someone here tell me with all the gear I have I am going for an overkill. Help me out guys please......... anybody........somebody.......

My advice is to sell all your headphones and get Ether C Flow and Ether Flow, like that you have both worlds covered open and closed.
That good they are:thumbsup:

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #1,252 of 5,796
I am noticing a trend here.. Everyone who heard the Ether C in Chicago didn’t seem to like it.. I am also in agreement with [color=black]silvrr[/color] here.. The C Flow seemed to take away the details from the top end and felt like it was a little more congested almost as if it were a standard C with two black felt tuning pads installed. And BTW all my testing was done on my own rig which I know very well.. Maybe there was an issue with the C Flow we had in Chicago? Cause the reviews coming out of London seem very different.

All that being said… The Open Ether was amazing.. Best in class for its price point… The only headphones that were better (in one area or another) were one costing twice as much or more (Utopia, LCD-4, Stax 007).. I honestly think the Open Flow’s could be the killer all around many people have been looking for.  

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #1,253 of 5,796
  I am noticing a trend here.. Everyone who heard the Ether C in Chicago didn’t seem to like it.. I am also in agreement with [color=black]silvrr[/color] here.. The C Flow seemed to take away the details from the top end and felt like it was a little more congested almost as if it were a standard C with two black felt tuning pads installed. And BTW all my testing was done on my own rig which I know very well.. Maybe there was an issue with the C Flow we had in Chicago? Cause the reviews coming out of London seem very different.

All that being said… The Open Ether was amazing.. Best in class for its price point… The only headphones that were better (in one area or another) were one costing twice as much or more (Utopia, LCD-4, Stax 007).. I honestly think the Open Flow’s could be the killer all around many people have been looking for.  

Interesting observation, and something I'd noticed as I continue to lurk on the London CanJam impressions thread.  Folks in London seem to see the C Flow on more-or-less even footing with the open variant.  Those who've reported in from Chicago are stating that the open Flows bested the the C Flow by an appreciable margin. Same goes for posted impressions from that other headphone enthusiast forum.

Just when I thought that I was ready to pull the trigger on the C Flows.

Aug 15, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #1,257 of 5,796
Hi everyone. I'm new to high-end headphone world and also to head-fi. Had phones Like
hd 650 and fidelio x2, but sent both back and stuck to my T50rp MK3s because of clarity, detail and neutrality.
but now I need something with more Bass, soundstage and Detail. hence the asking for help...
I'm really indecisive between PM-1 and Ether Flows and don't have the means to audition both at the same time.
I know that many would immideately say Ether Flows
BUT...
Would anyone be so kind to give me a comparison?
please if anyone have heard or owns both give me some insight about the Bass response, Details and espically brightness of both, ((I'm really treble sensetive, BTW))
Thanks

Aug 15, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #1,258 of 5,796
Ether c vs Ether Flow c from London is the same as I'm reading. The flow c has pros and cons.
Pros. More bass slightly more lower midrange.
Cons. Loses out on treble detail and air.
Sounds muddled and a bit slow .
My Ether are v1.1 and I use 1 black pad.
Compared both at same time on Mojo and Flow sounded quiter .
Had same results with Spark , Carbon , Gold and Tunsten.
This was under meet conditions and the Flows were all new so may need more burn in .I will try again in a few months before I upgrade my Ether C.

Aug 15, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #1,259 of 5,796
Ether c vs Ether Flow c from London is the same as I'm reading. The flow c has pros and cons.
Pros. More bass slightly more lower midrange.
Cons. Loses out on treble detail and air.
Sounds muddled and a bit slow .
My Ether are v1.1 and I use 1 black pad.
Compared both at same time on Mojo and Flow sounded quiter .
Had same results with Spark , Carbon , Gold and Tunsten.
This was under meet conditions and the Flows were all new so may need more burn in .I will try again in a few months before I upgrade my Ether C.

Thanks, but yikes. Muddled isn't a good look on a headphone at this price point. I can't imagine the cans weren't burned in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back