MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Aug 9, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #1,066 of 5,796
I am leaning closed but will withhold my decision on which until after this weekend in Chicago
smily_headphones1.gif

What the ethers bring to the table for me is basically uncompromised sound ...When I compromised, I mean open phones cause me to compromise (stop using them) because my wife is giving me an evil eye :)  

I finally found transducer nirvana about 15 years ago and only recently have those had to be revisited  (HD580 upgraded over time, ER4s->X5 and B&W/Klipsch big boys)  The one gap has be a set of musical closed cans. Obviously, Im staying closed :D

Aug 9, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #1,067 of 5,796
  What the ethers bring to the table for me is basically uncompromised sound ...When I compromised, I mean open phones cause me to compromise (stop using them) because my wife is giving me an evil eye :)  

I finally found transducer nirvana about 15 years ago and only recently have those had to be revisited  (HD580 upgraded over time, ER4s->X5 and B&W/Klipsch big boys)  The one gap has be a set of musical closed cans. Obviously, Im staying closed :D

LOL but I have the opportunity too hear both this weekend, if I find the open version significantly better suited for my tastes I might switch it up :p

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #1,068 of 5,796
I am leaning closed but will withhold my decision on which until after this weekend in Chicago :)

LOL but I have the opportunity too hear both this weekend, if I find the open version significantly better suited for my tastes I might switch it up :p

Looking forward to hear. I have an Ether now. I suspect i will go full upgrade to the FlowC (having the he1k I decided I'm set on the totl open front), but am unsure.

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #1,069 of 5,796
Is the new Ether C Flow supposed to be easier to drive than the ether C?

Aug 10, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #1,071 of 5,796
I was getting a louder volume with the Ether Flow compared to the Ether, which suggests greater sensitivity. At the same time though, at the SF meet I felt they were more revealing of source and amp differences at the same time.

Aug 10, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #1,072 of 5,796
  I was getting a louder volume with the Ether Flow compared to the Ether, which suggests greater sensitivity. At the same time though, at the SF meet I felt they were more revealing of source and amp differences at the same time.

We had the opposite result with the Ether Flow C at my station (loaned to me by @MrSpeakersPeter), as compared to my personal Ether C.  It seemed that we turned to volume up just a tad with the flow as compared to the non-flow C's.  Or I'm loosing my mind, which is quite possible.....

Aug 10, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #1,073 of 5,796
Ok thanks guys. Reason I asked was because I just picked up the Dragonfly Red and the Ether C gives it a challenge in terms of driving it. If the Flow C is a bit easier to drive it might end up being a perfect portable setup for me.

Aug 10, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #1,074 of 5,796
Will be interesting to see Tyll's upcoming review on the Flow after that very positive Focal Utopia review. 

Aug 10, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #1,078 of 5,796
I didn't find any difference between efficiency and volume level between original Ether and Flow. If there was a difference it was very small. I was actually hoping that it would be a little harder to drive as this is just a desktop hp for me. Plus my amps have lot's of power. Would be nice to get the knob crunk a bit. 

Aug 10, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #1,079 of 5,796
  I was actually hoping that it would be a little harder to drive as this is just a desktop hp for me. Plus my amps have lot's of power. Would be nice to get the knob crunk a bit. 

I feel the same, my audio-gd is using under 3% of the power it could be with my C's.
I remember the video of Tyll's with Dan when the Ether was first announced Dan said the driver could be set up as a 22ohm or a 88ohm and he was going with 22ohm, I remember thinking damn it offer both! people might even buy an extra one which they otherwise wouldn't, I'm sure a bunch of people would buy an 88ohm open for home and a 22ohm closed for otg.
although who knows if the 88ohm version sounded equally as good as the 22 and how sensitive it would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back