MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Aug 2, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #721 of 5,796

Hey, everyone gets an opinion, including people who think senorx12562 is dead wrong. 

I'm glad I got a year's worth of listening out of my Ether, and now I can make it even more magical. But if I don't want to, I still have the awesome HP I paid for and love. 

Yeah before they get banned like VanVader and I think some other guy too lately, although they seemed like pure trolls. Good to hear you love your Ether 

Aug 2, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #722 of 5,796
mmm....part 2 of counter-rant: I understand the "pain" of new owners of the Ether and Ether C. You got sideswiped. NO question about it. Mr. Speakers understood that "issue." That is why a special price was offered to you (if your recent purchase qualifies). Obviously, Mr. Speakers can't please everyone but I believe that Mr. Speakers has already extended the maximum possible accomodation.

I guess the feeling of some is that they should be allowed some time to enjoy their newly-purchased headphones before any new model or revision should be released to the public but that train of thought does not make sense because there will always be a transition to new models or revisions. The Ether was introduced March of 2015. It is now August 2016. I think that is a reasonable time to enjoy the Ether. That is why I almost always choose to purchase near  or as close to the the launch dates or shortly thereafter. It gives me time to enjoy the HP before any new, better, different or revised models hit the market. If you buy well after the launch dates, your risk of being sideswiped increases.

My advice:

1. Familiarize yourself with the upgrade cycles of different Headphone companies. Examples: Sennheiser introduced the HD 800 in 2009. It was revised only in 2015. That is a fairly long upgrade cycle. Mr. Speakers has a far shorter upgrade cycle. Do the same for others. Once you've done your homework,  plan accordingly.

You can time your upgrade purchase.

2. If your Ether or Ether C is fairly new or recently purchased, you can delay upgrading to the Flow versions. Don't feel pressured to upgrade  if you are not ready for it. Enjoy your Ether and Ether C to the max. AFAIK, there is no deadline for the upgrade program (except for a possible price increase in the future).

You have time to enjoy.

3. You can skip the Flow upgrade or the Flow version and WAIT for a new Mr. Speakers model.  We already know that Mr. Speakers will be introducing the Ether E (e-stat).

You have time to contemplate.

4. Delaying your upgrade  (from one headphone model to another) has its advantages. The new model or revised model costs more than its EOL predecessor and there's a good likelihood that the old model  will be discounted by the manufacturer and/ or the dealer trying to clear inventory.  That is real savings. One personal example: I bought the Grado PS 1000, just shortly before the dealer began selling the PS 1000 E and I ended up getting close to 50% discount off the old model.

Time is your wallet's best ally in this hobby.

Aug 2, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #723 of 5,796
Good advice, is there a upgrade cycle thread in headfi for easy reference? I am getting "sideswiped" by Hifiman for my 2 month old HEK. LoL, it doesn't matter actually because I usually keep my gears longer than the manufacturer's upgrade cycle ... Macbook, ipad, iPhones are perfect examples.

Back to the Flow and Flow C, can anyone share impression of its sub bass and bass compared to the HEK? Thanks

Aug 2, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #724 of 5,796
Or wait until your ears fall off and get a good hearing aid.... If someone said they could Mod the Ether and give a big boost to SQ but there is a charge for it..But no warranty people would still rush to get it done...
Opinions about sound NP..Value for money ..that's a personal thing...
But feed a troll and more crap comes out...
UsE that troll passion for something real, like a government that cares or feeding the starving or suffering in war torn places.. *** it's a headphone forum.. you weren't breast fed so get over it and live your life....

Aug 2, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #725 of 5,796

Hey, everyone gets an opinion, including people who think senorx12562 is dead wrong. 

I'm glad I got a year's worth of listening out of my Ether, and now I can make it even more magical. But if I don't want to, I still have the awesome HP I paid for and love. 

Yeah before they get banned like VanVader and I think some other guy too lately, although they seemed like pure trolls. Good to hear you love your Ether 

Disagreement is fine. The only person banned is the same guy who has been posting abuse on the forums since 2011 because he can't separate opinions from people.

Aug 2, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #726 of 5,796
Back to the Flow and Flow C, can anyone share impression of its sub bass and bass compared to the HEK? Thanks

Never mind, I listened to the Ether Flow at local dealer. It is big improvement over the ether. Soundstage is large and 3D. Bass and subbass is good too. Smooth syrupy vocal and midrange. Highs and treble is a little soft compared to my usual cans. Overall impression is very good.

Aug 2, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #729 of 5,796
Just for the record, no one should be butt-hurt by my opinion, as it is just that, my opinion (note how my post starts with " I would be..." not, "You should be..."). And the reason it says "would" is because I never bought them, I don't like the way they sound and thought they were overpriced, and nobody should care one way or the other what I think. Oh, and Dan, I only expect rockets if others are already making them. Cheerio.

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #730 of 5,796
OK then.  Moving on, I read somewhere that the headband adjustment on the ethers are not real tight and may slip out of adjustment when you put the headphones on or take them off.  Is this something that the members here have experienced?  Thanks!

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #731 of 5,796
  OK then.  Moving on, I read somewhere that the headband adjustment on the ethers are not real tight and may slip out of adjustment when you put the headphones on or take them off.  Is this something that the members here have experienced?  Thanks!

Mine was like that out of the box but tightening the screws made it so the adjustment stays.

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #732 of 5,796
  So which one do you like better, and why?

I generally prefer open headphones over closed ones, however in this case I prefer the Ether C Flow. To me the C has a very even frequency response through the treble while the open Ether Flow has more sparkle and air up top. I generally prefer less treble sparkle, but that's a personal preference. The C has a similar full-bodied midrange as the open version and good bass. I find it hard to find good closed headphones, so perhaps that's why I'm more inclined to choose the closed version in this case.

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #733 of 5,796

I generally prefer open headphones over closed ones, however in this case I prefer the Ether C Flow. To me the C has a very even frequency response through the treble while the open Ether Flow has more sparkle and air up top. I generally prefer less treble sparkle, but that's a personal preference. The C has a similar full-bodied midrange as the open version and good bass. I find it hard to find good closed headphones, so perhaps that's why I'm more inclined to choose the closed version in this case.

I tried very hard but heard no treble sparkle in Ether Flow just now. Not in piano or accoustic guitar sound tracks. My HEK had some sparkle but not Ether Flow no matter how I A/B between these two cans. 

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #734 of 5,796
At last back to serious questions about the Flow..

What does the Italian leather smell like. ..
:fearful:

Think Monica Belluci.....
gs1000.gif

Scanspeakman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back