MrSpeakers Ether CX - $899 from Massdrop
Jun 18, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #271 of 744
So those dents to the inside which again I can only see if I hold the cups to the light and search for them and cannot feel them, are only cosmetic and do not affect the sound at all right? - sry for asking twice I am just a bit paranoid regarding stuff like that.

I finally got my 2mm foam which with the 2 notch felt are really awesome and enhancing the low end even more and I really like it! Thanks for the fast shipping too :D

Unfortunately, yesterday I discovered that the connectors of my Ether CX cable are (a little?) loose or rather have play in all directions and every time I turn my head a bit I can hear a rattling/clicking noise coming from it.
My AFC cable is completely tight on both headphones causing no issues whatsoever, however the Ether CX cable cause the same rattling/clicking noise on my AFC aswell.
I hope you can help me regarding my paranoia and the cable issue :).

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

There is nothing wrong with your connectors, there is a bit of play, they click on they don't screw. In our entire history nobody has ever commented on that before. In fact, we did have a problem with some AFC cables that were TOO snug and wouldn't click into place, those parts were on the edge of tolerance.

Regarding the finish, it's a sprayed and polished finish, and just like cars minor imperfections are normal.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 19, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #272 of 744
There is nothing wrong with your connectors, there is a bit of play, they click on they don't screw. In our entire history nobody has ever commented on that before. In fact, we did have a problem with some AFC cables that were TOO snug and wouldn't click into place, those parts were on the edge of tolerance.

Regarding the finish, it's a sprayed and polished finish, and just like cars minor imperfections are normal.

So those dents are in the finish(?), though shouldn't I be able to feel them then or is the finish multi layered it is visible in the light only? (My concern is only if they are finish imperfections, which I do not mind, or actual dents and or bubbles on the cup itself with the possibility of altering the sound)

Back to the cables, the culprits are the moving caps which seem a little too loose for my liking.

Jun 19, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #273 of 744
So those dents are in the finish(?), though shouldn't I be able to feel them then or is the finish multi layered it is visible in the light only? (My concern is only if they are finish imperfections, which I do not mind, or actual dents and or bubbles on the cup itself with the possibility of altering the sound)

Back to the cables, the culprits are the moving caps which seem a little too loose for my liking.

You are seeing minor surface imperfection in the clear coat. There is nothing wrong with it, because of the very high gloss a surface flaw on the order of 0.005" would be visible. There is nothing wrong with it and it has zero mechanical audio or physical effect. Literally zero.

The metal caps are what they are... We've used this connector for 6 years without complaint, and without a single failure, so you're the first to complain about the mechanism. Most people like the locking action, and the fact that the connectors literally don't fail. If you have further concerns contact support at info@mrspeakers.com.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 27, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #274 of 744
You are seeing minor surface imperfection in the clear coat. There is nothing wrong with it, because of the very high gloss a surface flaw on the order of 0.005" would be visible. There is nothing wrong with it and it has zero mechanical audio or physical effect. Literally zero.

The metal caps are what they are... We've used this connector for 6 years without complaint, and without a single failure, so you're the first to complain about the mechanism. Most people like the locking action, and the fact that the connectors literally don't fail. If you have further concerns contact support at info@mrspeakers.com.

Thank you very much for the reply.
I have one more question regarding the pin, which I can screw in either direction, while the others are firm,but it doesnt come out or anything. Just noticed it a few days ago, but wanted to ask anyway if it is ok that way.

ethercx.jpg

Thank you again and in advance.
Also sorry for turning the thread to like a live support (o・_・).

Jun 27, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #275 of 744
Thank you very much for the reply.
I have one more question regarding the pin, which I can screw in either direction, while the others are firm,but it doesnt come out or anything. Just noticed it a few days ago, but wanted to ask anyway if it is ok that way.
Thank you again and in advance.
Also sorry for turning the thread to like a live support (o・_・).

The pin may/may not rotate, it has no impact on function or reliability and is normal either way.

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #277 of 744
@mrspeakers , I owned the Aeon Flow Closed but they were just a touch too bass light for me. Comfort and the rest of the frequency range was fantastic though. I'm not sure if I've maybe not burned them in long enough - would the bass response increase, at least a bit after the 200 hours of playback are over? When I saw the Ether CX on Mass(drop) I couldn't resist ordering since I expect them to have a little bit more/bigger bass output due to the increased driver size and overall tuning, as well as a bit more smoothed out treble compared to the Aeon Flow C. Is that about right? :) Because that would make them perfect to me sound signature wise. I'm mainly making these assumptions based on this frequency graph comparison here:
upload_2019-6-29_20-39-38.png

Thank you in advance Dan! :)

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #278 of 744
@mrspeakers , I owned the Aeon Flow Closed but they were just a touch too bass light for me. Comfort and the rest of the frequency range was fantastic though. I'm not sure if I've maybe not burned them in long enough - would the bass response increase, at least a bit after the 200 hours of playback are over? When I saw the Ether CX on Mass(drop) I couldn't resist ordering since I expect them to have a little bit more/bigger bass output due to the increased driver size and overall tuning, as well as a bit more smoothed out treble compared to the Aeon Flow C. Is that about right? :) Because that would make them perfect to me sound signature wise. I'm mainly making these assumptions based on this frequency graph comparison here:

I have them both right now and do not regret getting the ether cx.
They indeed have a bit more and bigger bass and in comparison the cx sound much more organic and natural if that makes sense.
The AFC are, even though it doesn't look like much, very v shaped in direct comparison. To me voices sound thin and the highs artificial.
Because u have to increase the volume a lot to get bass out of the AFC, the highs get in the way again.

Bear in mind that this is my opinion.
however I was in the same situation as you are rn (though I am a bit sensitive to highs as well), I always loved the look of ether c flow and had the opportunity to get the ether cx and it was definitely worth and what I was looking for.

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #279 of 744
I have them both right now and do not regret getting the ether cx.
They indeed have a bit more and bigger bass and in comparison the cx sound much more organic and natural if that makes sense.
The AFC are, even though it doesn't look like much, very v shaped in direct comparison. To me voices sound thin and the highs artificial.
Because u have to increase the volume a lot to get bass out of the AFC, the highs get in the way again.

Bear in mind that this is my opinion.
however I was in the same situation as you are rn (though I am a bit sensitive to highs as well), I always loved the look of ether c flow and had the opportunity to get the ether cx and it was definitely worth and what I was looking for.

That is extremely helpful. Thanks a lot! :) Really looking forward to them, even more now that I've read your description of them sounding more balanced compared to the AFC, with better mids. I'm also in love with the look of the Ether CX.. the carbon fiber is truly gorgeous and the design with the thin NiTinol metal which makes them also light is just fantastic - I really want to hold them in my hands ASAP. They even removed the moveable part of the "normal" Ethers, because the pads are flat. Just makes them look cleaner in comparison and unique!

Never thought I'd have the chance to get an Ether headphone, but for this price all of the sudden that dream is fulfilled. Now I'll only have to wait about 30-40 days until I receive them. :D

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #280 of 744
That is extremely helpful. Thanks a lot! :) Really looking forward to them, even more now that I've read your description of them sounding more balanced compared to the AFC, with better mids. I'm also in love with the look of the Ether CX.. the carbon fiber is truly gorgeous and the design with the thin NiTinol metal which makes them also light is just fantastic - I really want to hold them in my hands ASAP. They even removed the moveable part of the "normal" Ethers, because the pads are flat. Just makes them look cleaner in comparison and unique!

Never thought I'd have the chance to get an Ether headphone, but for this price all of the sudden that dream is fulfilled. Now I'll only have to wait about 30-40 days until I receive them. :D
:) Glad I could help.

Jun 30, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #281 of 744

I have both. I initially felt the sub and mid-bass were more pronounced in the Cx vs. the AFC, but I think that may be a psychoacoustic effect in that that the Cx sounds "bigger" in most senses with a larger sound stage, more separation, better imaging, finer detail vs. the AFC. However on more extended listening, I think the AFC actually has more bass and is a perhaps warmer headphone vs. the Cx, especially at lower listening volumes.

I think the Cx is capable of greater bass perhaps due to the larger driver, but I try to listen to music around 65-70 dB. The Cx seems to really wake up at louder volumes. Now I'm curious to hear the Ether C Flow 1.1 again. The AFC has more of a fun sound signature (despite still being very neutral).

Neither of these headphones have much in the way of bass slam. The M50x and HD6XX both have more mid-bass than AFC and Cx. The bass quality on the AFC and Cx are clearly superior of course.

I'm still on the search for a closed headphone that's resolving, fast, and with exaggerated bass slam for listening to metal and some electronic.

I'm still very happy with both the AFC and Cx, but sometimes I want a bit more bass. If the AFC had insufficient bass for you, I'm not sure the Cx will have enough unless you listen at louder volumes. Both headphones respond well to EQ or the Schiit Loki so you can get a warmer sound signature if you like. They just aren't going to have Fostex level slam.

Jun 30, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #283 of 744
ZMF Atticus?

It’s definitely in consideration. I need to hear it again and maybe the TH900. The closed back Audeze headphones are massive and have mixed reviews but I’d like to hear them too. Maybe there will be an Ether 2 closed variant at some point as well.

I prefer open backs, but I’m not as often I a space to be able to use them.

I think both the AFC and Cx are great. I just wonder if it’s technically possible to maintain their excellent mids and treble while adding a larger bass response. I think the flow guides in the ECF are meant to do that, but I didn’t get a bass slam sensation from my short time listening to them. Maybe if paired with a tube amp the bass would have been more pronounced. The headphone filter inserts can definitely give a warmer signature to the AFC and Cx but it still isn’t the same as the bass quantity that I get from the Emu Teak.

Jul 1, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #285 of 744
I'm still on the search for a closed headphone that's resolving, fast, and with exaggerated bass slam for listening to metal and some electronic.

Campfire Audio Cascades...lots of energy down low without the loss of detail and resolution across the upper frequencies. Really great headphone for electronic and rock music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back