MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Nov 8, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #4,711 of 4,813
  Hi

No, I own the Ether C and have the Flow version on loan. I will be upgrading because the Flow has made a great headphone into a brilliant one. Interestingly I was not sold on the Flow initially at Camjam London, but time and Dan C) has made me a convert.

Good to know, I actually purchased the Ether C around 1-2 months before the Flow announcement. Waiting for my turn to upgrade as well but still undecided. In the meantime I purchased the open Ether Flow (received one of the first units) and it really is an amazing headphone. Now I just need to decide if I want to keep my Ether C original to have a different sound or if I want that Flow sound whether I'm home or elsewhere and need the isolation.

Nov 8, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #4,713 of 4,813
Thanks! I've not had an opportunity to listen via Mjolnir2, I bet it's amazing. I will say my Chord Mojo does a great job. I'd really like to hear from folks that own or have spent a significant time with both Flows (Open and Closed) to understand just how similar they sound. If they sound too alike I may just opt to keep my Ether C as is.

Nov 8, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #4,714 of 4,813
I heard Ether Flow from MJ2/Gumby setup at CANJAM.  It was absolutely sublime.  It was kinda slow on Sunday so I got an extended listening session.  I currently own the Yggy/Rag and the MJ2/Gumby setup sounded better to me.  The Ether Flows I heard on this and the Cavalli OTL setup.  Different days, different sources but I preferred the Schiit setup with these.  Didn't get to try Flow Cs except with Mojo.  Also, a great setup.  You just can't lose with any of them.

Nov 8, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #4,715 of 4,813
/me loves his Ether C and MJ2 combo. Still on delta sigma Gungnir. Great combo. My first listen to Ether C was when Dan came to Nashville on Yggi and Liquid Glass and damn. Ether C loves tubes in the chain. Hope Dan comes back to Nashville again. We've missed him the last 2 meets.

Nov 14, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #4,716 of 4,813
I have mine for 7 months. I love these headphones. Accurate, space, clarity, organic midrange...very good job my mrspeakers. I'm waiting complément 4 Copper from DHC to another level with my Cs.

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #4,717 of 4,813
L3000.gif

Just a note to record that I spent five hours yesterday sitting in a comfy chair and listening to random music playback from my music server through a Schiit MB stack on my Ether C headphones.  Superb sound, not fatiguing, super comfortable, overall excellent experience.  I am so happy I have these headphones and I can honestly say I have never owned another set that I could handle for such long listening sessions without getting tired of just having them on my head.  Not the Ether C, this was bliss..  Thank you Mr. Speakers.

Dec 4, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #4,718 of 4,813
Just tried damping mod on the HD600s and got an actual headache just listening to them... Gave up and put the Ether Cs back on... So... good... Even though the Ether C are a tad brighter there is no fatigue at all and I can listen to very loud volumes. The detail, smoothness and speed all at the same time. 

Dec 4, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #4,719 of 4,813
Glad to see there are more happy Ether C owners. I am still debating on whether an Ether C, C Flow, or Flow are right for me. The only way to find out is to give them all a listen in a quiet environment. 

I moved on to speakers for the time being. The latest headphone developments all cost too much for my budget.. I'm in a happy world of ribbon tweeters right now with my Ascend bookshelf speakers. 

I would love to hear some "electrostat-like" planars if the Ether Flows fit the description.

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #4,721 of 4,813
I wanted to test to see how well they can run straight out a smartphone (Google Pixel). I am pretty amazed that it scales pretty good on my Google Pixel. It can't compare against the Mojo or my LC but overall I am a happy camper running straight out of my phone.

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #4,722 of 4,813

Hi, Got min Ether C's back from being upgraded, which took a while. Luckily I was loaned a stock Ether C Flow and then and Ether C while I waited. By the way, the Ether C pairs really well with the Cavali Audio LQ2...but thats a review I may do later.

Because I had the chance to listen to the C Flow before deciding on the upgrade, I loved the difference in base response which just adds more punch everywhere. I actually like he little extra physical weight as well, which is noticeable. Had a chance to discuss the differences with Dan Clarke in London last year and compare the two side by side.

I do not think the upgrade to the Flow in an upgrade as such, just a different signature. The real seller for me was just the extra punch in the bass and a bit more sparkle up top but I would say the Ether C has areas where is is better than the C Flow...its really a matter of preference. I am told that the upgrade in the Ether O is more striking but I would assume this is largely because the Ether C had already evolved from the original Ether O. Have not hear them so do not know.

As these are new drivers I am burning in. My first impression is 'good' but I know these will sound better having trialled a burnt in pair. The issue I have right now is a bit over over brightness which is making acoustic guitars in particular sound a bit harsh...while burning in, I have used the black tuning pads to tone it down a bit..

Will let you know how things are in a 100 hours or so.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #4,723 of 4,813
Hi, Got min Ether C's back from being upgraded, which took a while. Luckily I was loaned a stock Ether C Flow and then and Ether C while I waited. By the way, the Ether C pairs really well with the Cavali Audio LQ2...but thats a review I may do later.

Because I had the chance to listen to the C Flow before deciding on the upgrade, I loved the difference in base response which just adds more punch everywhere. I actually like he little extra physical weight as well, which is noticeable. Had a chance to discuss the differences with Dan Clarke in London last year and compare the two side by side.

I do not think the upgrade to the Flow in an upgrade as such, just a different signature. The real seller for me was just the extra punch in the bass and a bit more sparkle up top but I would say the Ether C has areas where is is better than the C Flow...its really a matter of preference. I am told that the upgrade in the Ether O is more striking but I would assume this is largely because the Ether C had already evolved from the original Ether O. Have not hear them so do not know.

As these are new drivers I am burning in. My first impression is 'good' but I know these will sound better having trialled a burnt in pair. The issue I have right now is a bit over over brightness which is making acoustic guitars in particular sound a bit harsh...while burning in, I have used the black tuning pads to tone it down a bit..

Will let you know how things are in a 100 hours or so.

Interesting to hear your thoughts, I've been debating on if I should "upgrade" my C's to the Flows for some time now.

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #4,724 of 4,813
I thought the Ether C's were the best closed cans out there then I got the AKG K872's. They have a contender now.

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #4,725 of 4,813
I thought the Ether C's were the best closed cans out there then I got the AKG K872's. They have a contender now.

You bring to next meet yes?
Can it go balanced?
Is it as comfortable as the Ether Cs?

Go VOLS! haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back