MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Feb 28, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #2,656 of 4,813
Been playing with the new 1.1 tuning kit, it does seem to provide a subtle improvement, most noticeable is the high end seems a bit cleaner and easier to distinguish instrument, definately worth $10.

My preferred setup so far is 1.1 with 1 white tuning pad. Seems to provide a nice warm LCD-2 effect that I prefer with the amp I am currently using, the HA-1 which can be a bit strident if used with "bright" headphones.

Haven't tried white pads with 1.1, but I bet it makes a good match with HA-1.

Thanks for the feedback, I will order the kit later this week.

Definitely worth $10 to to try it. I like it better with the 1.1 than without.

It's a no brainer really. Best $10 I've spent on this hobby by far. 

Agreed.

Feb 28, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #2,658 of 4,813
I have both types of headphones. I prefer the ETHER C's because they isolate so nicely and the bass has a tad more impact, than the ETHER. However late at night, I will jam out, with my ETHER'S, because I mostly want my headphones to be detailed, natural and ever so transparent. So it depends, do you want a fantastic closed back Headphone or a fantastic pair of open backed headphones.

Feb 28, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #2,659 of 4,813
^^ Or just get both and call it a day. 
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #2,660 of 4,813
I have both types of headphones. I prefer the ETHER C's because they isolate so nicely and the bass has a tad more impact, than the ETHER. However late at night, I will jam out, with my ETHER'S, because I mostly want my headphones to be detailed, natural and ever so transparent. So it depends, do you want a fantastic closed back Headphone or a fantastic pair of open backed headphones.

I see you have almost all Schiit products also :). Would you say Bifrost with Lyr 2 is good enough for Ether or should I get Gungnir Multibit and Mjolnir 2 instead? Thanks

Feb 28, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #2,662 of 4,813
I see you have almost all Schiit products also :). Would you say Bifrost with Lyr 2 is good enough for Ether or should I get Gungnir Multibit and Mjolnir 2 instead? Thanks

I have not heard the Bifrost yet, so I would recommend you get the Gungnir Multibit and the MJ2. And that combination will make your ETHER headphones sing like a muse. :)

Feb 28, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #2,663 of 4,813

Get the C's with balanced cables and go gumby/mj2.

It's a sweet package, and you will not be disappointed.

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #2,664 of 4,813
Dang these things are sounding incredible!!! Way to go Dan, the 1.1 revision just made an awesome headphone even better, unbelievable how good these sound for the price.

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #2,665 of 4,813
Hey guys! This may be a really stupid question, but it crossed my mind so... When burning in headphones, is it at all a problem if the drivers are facing each other with a slight seal from the clamping force of the headband? Should I orient the drivers so they're less directly firing into the other?

Lol, I'm so OCD.

Feb 28, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #2,666 of 4,813
Hey guys! This may be a really stupid question, but it crossed my mind so... When burning in headphones, is it at all a problem if the drivers are facing each other with a slight seal from the clamping force of the headband? Should I orient the drivers so they're less directly firing into the other?

Lol, I'm so OCD.

Don't worry. Just use an SPL app from your phone and check that the music is not more than around 90db or so. Then you should be good. 

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #2,667 of 4,813
  Has someone tested succesfully alternative third party cables to improve the " C " SQ ? 

I have on order a Double Helix Cable ( Molecule Elite Silver - 8 wires ) for my HE-X, and I wonder if, with an adapter, it could be a plus for the " C " also ? 

The DHC Molecule is an excellent cable and should be superb with the Ether C in improving sound quality. See my comments in the link below about another after market cable that worked superbly:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/777735/mrspeakers-ether-c-review-announcement-a-new-closed-back-planar-magnetic-flagship-from-mrspeakers/2370#post_12340890

Feb 29, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #2,668 of 4,813
  +1, best customer service in the biz (and I've owned Audeze's, HiFiMan's, Sennheiser's, Grado's, Oppo's, etc, etc) and Mr. Speakers (or Dan as I like to call the company :) is the best.

I'm a bit puzzled why people keep saying this as if it's a compliment. In an ideal world you would never need customer service. I have no idea how good or bad Sennheiser customer service is, for example, even after buying 5 of their headphones, because I've simply never had a problem. This isn't an attack on Mr Speakers at all, who does seem to offer industry-leading levels of customer service according to feedback here, but I would rather not need the service in the first place.

Feb 29, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #2,669 of 4,813
I'm a bit puzzled why people keep saying this as if it's a compliment. In an ideal world you would never need customer service. I have no idea how good or bad Sennheiser customer service is, for example, even after buying 5 of their headphones, because I've simply never had a problem. This isn't an attack on Mr Speakers at all, who does seem to offer industry-leading levels of customer service according to feedback here, but I would rather not need the service in the first place.

Every company has the need for customer service at one time or another. Just because you haven't had to deal with issues from Sennheiser (using your example) doesn't mean the issues don't exist. I've read about customers waiting quite a while for just a reply to an email with Sennheiser. Plus, MrSpeakers (Dan & Co) isn't Sennheiser (obviously) and being much smaller some things inevitably slip through the cracks. What you get is a quick reply and an eagerness to make things right for each individual, not just another sale, at least that's the vibe I get. I understand what you're saying, I'm just expressing how I'd rather deal with a company like MrSpeakers if an issue arises rather than, say, Sennheiser.

:)

Feb 29, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #2,670 of 4,813

I'm ridiculously tough on headphones. I've broken 4 Sennheiser HD650's, 2 HD600, 2 HD598's, an HD595, and lost count of the HD25's I've broken. Mr. Speakers headphones are tanks and I've never broken a pair. 

My dealings with customer service have been with accessories like tuning kits and cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back