MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Feb 12, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #2,356 of 4,813
Dan,

I got this for your website:

[size=15.08px]Pinout for Custom Cables[/size]
ETHER uses the same pinout as our Alpha Prime and Alpha Dog headphones. The plug is available to cable manufacturers at www.evalucon.com, and the part number is SN-8-4(P). For your convenience they are available for purchase on our accessories tab.

Left:
1 = L+
2 = L - (or ground for single ended cables)
3 = open 
4 = open

Right:
1 = R+
2 = R - (or ground for single ended cables)
3 = open 
4 = open

My question is how are 1,2,3,4 pins arranged relative to the keys?

And the other side should be this right:

Feb 12, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #2,357 of 4,813
Wow!!! Just got my C's... and while I won't comment too much on the sound to start, other than it sounds quite good and I'm looking forward to how they burn in.  (And in reference to the comment about comparing to the XC, I certainly don't feel like I'm -10dB for bass.)

The WOW is about just how comfortable these headphones are!  That part I love... and will definitely be keeping them as my "work" headphones.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #2,358 of 4,813
I'm still playing with the EQ but the 10dB comment is just based on how I currently have it (still have a few more days to play around with it). Here's my current setup (excuse the surroundings, it won't be the final resting place for this system lol):

As for my EQ's, this is where I'm at currently:

Ether C

LCD-XC

I know most on Head-Fi think EQ is blasphemy though. 
tongue.gif

It's probably just a combination of the Ether C having zero burn-in (I don't really have time to do that properly though) and already being used to the LCD-XC. I'm not giving up just yet though. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #2,359 of 4,813
i have the ether c and had the LC...no way there is such a pronounced difference in bass..maybe there is something wrong with your pair or the fit isnt proper etc

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #2,361 of 4,813
  Maconi, is the Ether C that you have fully broken in with the requisite 200 hours?  Before that time the bass is not fully developed (especially in the earlier hours.)

Nope. Brand new pair (probably 10 hours total on them). I only have them until around Tuesday next week though. Any way I could fast-track that burn-in? lol 
biggrin.gif

I'll try leaving them on pink noise + loud EDM all night with the volume cranked like 20% higher than I'd listen to and see how they sound in the morning. Maybe they just gotta shake loose?

i have the ether c and had the LC...no way there is such a pronounced difference in bass..maybe there is something wrong with your pair or the fit isnt proper etc

Possibly. The fit seems good (much better than the XC) but I'll try adjusting it some more (I'm already almost maxing out the adjustment on the headband with my huge head though as you can see in the picture lol).

Feb 13, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #2,362 of 4,813
  How can I check for mis-wired XLR? I guess it's time for me to get a cheap meter for continuity check.

If you don't have the hardware to test properly, you can import a music track into an audio editing program and invert the polarity on one channel. If this sounds better than the original, then it's likely you have a wiring issue.

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #2,363 of 4,813
I'm not just a bass head; it's a job requirement for me (not a joke). 

I've gotten weight in the bass by switching to Alpha Pads, but I still need EQ:

After these settings I have more than enough bass and everything is great, however, I tried something else by removing the white felt tuning pads under the ear pads:

And putting velour pads on:

The pads are from my Pioneer HRM7. The soundstage exploded and the Ether C now has soundstage, clarity, and overall spaciousness and air that absolutely destroys my Oppo PM-1 and Hifiman HE500, which are both open headphones. This setup makes me cry it sounds so good. it's easily reversible and no screwing or unscrewing needed. 

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #2,365 of 4,813
  ^^ Interesting. I find removing the white pads decreases sub bass. Maybe it's a combination of the other things you've done. 

It does reduce sub bass..........I bump up the EQ to compensate but the increase of "air" is well worth it to me. 

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #2,367 of 4,813
  Ah, okay makes sense. Glad that you found a setup that is working for you. 

I still use the stock pads and normal setup when I travel, but when I'm home I do the mods. 

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #2,368 of 4,813

Nope. Brand new pair (probably 10 hours total on them). I only have them until around Tuesday next week though. Any way I could fast-track that burn-in? lol 
biggrin.gif

I'll try leaving them on pink noise + loud EDM all night with the volume cranked like 20% higher than I'd listen to and see how they sound in the morning. Maybe they just gotta shake loose?

With virtually no burn in, that's the answer to your comments about the Ether C's lack of bass. Frankly, it's quite useless to do a comparison of the Ether C's sound, especially with respect to bass and especially against the LCD-XC, until there is sufficient burn in.  Dan himself has stated emphatically numerous times that 100+ hours of burn-in, preferably 200 hours, is required for the Ether C's sound (and bass) to develop sufficiently. Here's what I posted awhile back:

"Yes, Dan is not kidding when he says 100+ hours of burn in.  When first received  the Ether C sounds, frankly, somewhat flat and uninvolving and there is a disturbing lack of bass. But don't get worried, get busy running them.  After 25 hours it's much better but nothing like 75 hours when things have really improved.  But there is still a big further difference when you hit 100 hours -- bass is deep and solid, soundstage has opened up, clarity has really improved and dynamics are much much better. Now that's when they sound terrific!

My advice is to not even listen to them before 3 days have gone by. You'll just get yourself aggravated before then. 100+ hours?  At the recent NY meet one of the Ether owners said he found further improvement at 150 hours of break-in.  And that's what I'm doing"

And with the passage of time I can now say that 200 hours was actually required. That said, I have owned both the LCD-XC and the LCD-X, and the Ether C has a different sound signature and will never match those two headphones in the amount of bass -- nor was it intended to. The Audeze phones have a powerful bass heavy rich and "dark chocolate" sound signature which, to some, had too much bass interfering with the overall sound. Their sound is also slower which further gives the impression of heavy bass, but which is actually a form of coloration (but still a delicious and additive one, if you want that.) By contrast, the Ether C is faster and tighter, including the bass, and there is no lack of bass -- but only when they are fully broken in.  At that point the bass is excellent, sufficiently full and actually with maybe a bit more sub bass than the Audeze phones. 

But I don't think there is good way to speed up the break-in process. Maybe the best you can do is to run them with bass heavy electronic music at, as Dan has said, a "loud but not insane level."

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #2,369 of 4,813
  The LC and the Ether C are both outstanding...i currently own the Ether and have the Ether C on order...

I see that you now have your Ether for sale... 
bigsmile_face.gif

I currently have the LC > LCD-X at work, and while it sounds great having open cans at work has been a bit of a nuisance (already tried the XC; too heavy for me and had a nasty 5kHz peak). I have a pair of Ether C's on the way, though I keep hearing about this magical unicorn synergy between the LC and Ether specifically that has me questioning my decision...

How did you find the LC > Ether C pairing compared to the LC > Ether, and what made you decide to stick with the Ether C?

Lastly, the Ether C I'm buying comes with the standard (4-pin) cable, do you think the DUM is worth the $200 it would cost me to buy separately?

Thanks!

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #2,370 of 4,813
I've probably got about 40-50 hours on my ETHER-C now, and these phones are really sounding great. With the problematic power cords removed from the system, everything is just coming into its own. The ZDS ETHER-C combo is really working well. The ever so slight ZDS grain is totally absent. And the sweet smoothness of the mids is just something else. I'm still hoping the low end opens up a bit more, but it's really not as lean as rumors might indicate.

So all in all... Very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back