MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Sep 4, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #392 of 4,813
  I tried the Ether C's at the schiit show...  They sound amazing but I still think the alpha dogs have better bass.  They're actually pretty close in sound signature for me.  

That's awesome to hear! I still would buy the Ether C's even if they are similar to the Alpha Dogs because I love the carbon cups and I want to support Dan's new driver that he manufactures himself.

Alpha Dogs will always be critically underestimated. I heard them next to a pair of Stax SR-009 and while the Stax are better, they aren't significantly so.

The unmodified HE-560 I heard was simply unlistenable.. wayy to emphasized and sibilant for my tastes.

I heard a modified HE-560 from Bill-P that I really enjoyed so I think it has more potential but I'd rather have Dan's quality than Hifiman's.

Sep 5, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #395 of 4,813
  Clark and team have much to be proud of!! But they need to stay on their toes now - cuz they're pickin' it up when it comes to planars IMHO. I just got my ETHER Cs, so any thoughts are still mere impressions - but I've listened to it via my HRT microStreamer, Violectric HPA V200 + Questyle Audio CAS192 DAC stack, JDS Labs Element, and the Questyle QP1R DAP. Its been smooth as silk across the board thus far -and it BANGS with underground electronic like Machinedrum's "Gunshotta" (especially the Om Units Rollers VPI remix). I could use a lil' more oomph in the lower extremes - but that's purely a matter of preference. I wouldn't want Clark and Co. at MrSpeakers to squeeze any more bass out of the cans - because it would screw up their ability to reproduce things more (and I HATE using this word, but it applies here) accurateky - or more true to source. That's one of the distinct edges I think MrSpeakers has these days: The resolution they're achieving is astonishing to my ears - I'm in love like I fell for the LCD-2 - another thing they've got goin' for em? Their cans are LIGHT AND COMFORTABLE

hope you are doing alright man. sorry to hear about the difficult recent life circumstances.

I am a bit curious about this statement highlighted in bold given your love of the Audeze products. I would say that the Audeze house sound would have more bass quantity than MrSpeakers house sound, so curious about that statement considering your personal preference for Audeze tunings. The TH900 are also quite a lot more dramatically bass-boosted. Does this mean that you think that the Ether/Ether C are more transparent than the Audeze products? =P hahah

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #396 of 4,813
Sorry guys!
I got all set-up for the comparisons (gonna do ETHER C And LCD-XC) but I got called out for a meeting in Santa Monica!

I'll give you my findings ASAP!!

That's the comparison I most want to hear about!

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #398 of 4,813
I'm with ya there Jude!!!
and GREAT job on this piece as always brotha.

And it's also great to be back on Head-Fi!!!!
Sorry fellas - man divorce is NUTZ - especially cuz I'm 40-yrs old & I've been w/ Alexandra half my life!! So I'll be sporadic for awhile - but this Community means a great deal to me, so I gotta jump back in when I can.

Hey Mike,
Sorry to hear about your D. Been there and done that at 37 after 19 years of knowing her but on my second try I was blessed and life is awesome so hang in there. There are better time coming :thumbsup:

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 7, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #399 of 4,813
Ordered one. Hopefully this will be the holy grail closed headphones for me, and the last audio thing I buy for a long time... Alpha Prime and LCD-XC both sound great but the former is a difficult fit for me, and the latter is too heavy for multi-hour listening.

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #400 of 4,813
  Ordered one. Hopefully this will be the holy grail closed headphones for me, and the last audio thing I buy for a long time...

+1.

I really like the extra isolation that a closed headphone provides, but I don't like the weight and sound signature of the Audeze line. When I heard the first reviews of the Ether I was thinking - wow, a high performance neutral planar at a reasonable price - if only there was a closed back version, but that will never happen. I had no use for a another neutral open headphone, already having the HE6 and HD800, so it wasn't for me. Then MrSpeakers announces a closed back version - I get interested. Then the first reviews come in for the Ether C - and they are great. Placed an order 3 days ago.

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #401 of 4,813
I also ordered a pair to match up with my 430HA. I bet it will be a great pairing.

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #402 of 4,813
Edit: I too look forward to more comparisons. Including more comparisons to the Mad Dog and Alpha Dog of course.

You'll get that from me after my Ether-Cs arrive.

Sep 7, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #403 of 4,813
Listened to these at the London CanJam through the Hugo TT and all I can say is WOW! This is what I always fantasised a high end closed back headphone could sound like! Absolutely absolutely beautiful. Resolution, clarity, and soundstage out of this world! Left the Fostex TH900 for dead. Strangely enough, I also managed to listen to some Stax through the Blue Hawaii - another end game dream (via reputation) - and this just eclipsed it by miles for me! So there you go…. just proves again, the ONLY way to assess gear is by listening to it!!! 

Sep 7, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #404 of 4,813
  Listened to these at the London CanJam through the Hugo TT and all I can say is WOW! This is what I always fantasised a high end closed back headphone could sound like! Absolutely absolutely beautiful. Resolution, clarity, and soundstage out of this world! Left the Fostex TH900 for dead. Strangely enough, I also managed to listen to some Stax through the Blue Hawaii - another end game dream (via reputation) - and this just eclipsed it by miles for me! So there you go…. just proves again, the ONLY way to assess gear is by listening to it!!! 

Which STAX are you comparing to, here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back