MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Feb 12, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #2,341 of 4,813
  I find Ether and Ether C very comfortable. But just for giggles I thought I'd experiment with some alternatives for the headband. 

Just noticed that you're selling your Ether C, any reason?

Feb 12, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #2,342 of 4,813

I find Ether and Ether C very comfortable. But just for giggles I thought I'd experiment with some alternatives for the headband. 

Just noticed that you're selling your Ether C, any reason?

Matt sells them all, tries them just for giggles!  Just to experiment before sale!  I don't think he keeps any headphone after he reviews them.

Feb 12, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #2,343 of 4,813
Ahh... OK.  I'm debating myself that's why.  I love the mids and highs, but man the lack of bass (at least to me) is not helping, although EQ did fixed that problem.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #2,344 of 4,813
Never take me selling as an indication how I like or don't like it. I have both Ethers now and I don't need a closed headphone as much as I'd though. Plus I'm after the yggy. 
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #2,345 of 4,813
  Ahh... OK.  I'm debating myself that's why.  I love the mids and highs, but man the lack of bass (at least to me) is not helping, although EQ did fixed that problem.

I'm in the same boat (although my Ether C is borrowed so I haven't actually spent any $$$ on it yet). Compared to my LCD-XC, straight out of the box it sounded extremely thin/hollow (almost like I was hearing sound through a pipe). EQ wise it takes +10 more dB to get bass similar to the XC out of the Ether C.

Having said that, after spending the time to EQ the Ether C properly (massive bass EQ, a couple bumps in the mid range, and a decent treble boost) it sound pretty good now. The bass is more controlled than the XC (although it feels like it has less "slam"/"impact", possibly just due to faster decay) and the soundstage is possibly wider on the Ether C (hard to tell due to the following negative) but it still sounds a bit thin/hollow to me. It might be the ~57mm (if you round out the rectangle) transducer vs the 106mm on the XC giving me the "pipe" illusion?

As has already been stated multiple times though, fit/finish/comfort on the Ether C is much better. It's much lighter, a much better fit, and I dig the look (never was a fan of the polyurethane wood look of the XC). Sound is what's important though and I'm still undecided there.

I honestly don't understand all the reviews saying the Ether C easily blows away all the competition in the price bracket though. I was extremely excited to try it out and was sure it'd knock my LCD-XC out of the park (as many reviews have said it would). Yet with no EQ I'd easily take my XC over it currently. Maybe I'm just lucky and snagged an XC with a good frequency response (yet another place Audeze seems to have issues, consistency). Some people will throw price out there, but you can buy the XC for around $1000 used (like I did) vs the current market price of $1300 for the Ether C (you can say the XC is $1200 with that new carbon fiber headband).

I still have a few more days with the Ether C. Hopefully it changes my mind as I really want to like it. 
L3000.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #2,346 of 4,813

I find the comfort improved, and it was already very good. Not dramatically better, but nice. 

Any chance of offering your headband to the masses?  I'm always willing to try new things (within reason...and warranty...
wink_face.gif
).
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - It's gonna be a few months before I can get the Ether C but it's on my list! 
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #2,347 of 4,813
^^ Sorry, no chance at all. Too much work and effort for a DIY project. Mr. Speakers Peter found a company on line that made a tooled leather headband that was drop dead gorgeous. Not sure what they charged for it. 

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #2,348 of 4,813
  ^^ Sorry, no chance at all. Too much work and effort for a DIY project. Mr. Speakers Peter found a company on line that made a tooled leather headband that was drop dead gorgeous. Not sure what they charged for it. 

I can always go with stock comfort for a while. 
wink_face.gif
  It'll be interesting if Mr. Speakers ever decides to offer any "upgrades"...
Cheers and Thanks!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #2,350 of 4,813

I'm in the same boat (although my Ether C is borrowed so I haven't actually spent any $$$ on it yet). Compared to my LCD-XC, straight out of the box it sounded extremely thin/hollow (almost like I was hearing sound through a pipe). EQ wise it takes +10 more dB to get bass similar to the XC out of the Ether C.

Having said that, after spending the time to EQ the Ether C properly (massive bass EQ, a couple bumps in the mid range, and a decent treble boost) it sound pretty good now. The bass is more controlled than the XC (although it feels like it has less "slam"/"impact", possibly just due to faster decay) and the soundstage is possibly wider on the Ether C (hard to tell due to the following negative) but it still sounds a bit thin/hollow to me. It might be the ~57mm (if you round out the rectangle) transducer vs the 106mm on the XC giving me the "pipe" illusion?

As has already been stated multiple times though, fit/finish/comfort on the Ether C is much better. It's much lighter, a much better fit, and I dig the look (never was a fan of the polyurethane wood look of the XC). Sound is what's important though and I'm still undecided there.

I honestly don't understand all the reviews saying the Ether C easily blows away all the competition in the price bracket though. I was extremely excited to try it out and was sure it'd knock my LCD-XC out of the park (as many reviews have said it would). Yet with no EQ I'd easily take my XC over it currently. Maybe I'm just lucky and snagged an XC with a good frequency response (yet another place Audeze seems to have issues, consistency). Some people will throw price out there, but you can buy the XC for around $1000 used (like I did) vs the current market price of $1300 for the Ether C (you can say the XC is $1200 with that new carbon fiber headband).

I still have a few more days with the Ether C. Hopefully it changes my mind as I really want to like it. 
L3000.gif

When I compared my Ether C to my son's XC, I was supposed by the somewhat odd sounding treble on the XC. My Ether's were fully broken in, so I didn't experience the bass issue you are referring to. Sure, the XC has slightly stringer bass, but to me it was just a few db, not 10. I found the XC to be a bit harsh and I much preferred the Ether C. Heck, I like the T1, and to many it's harsh, so it's not like I don't like treble. I just think the Ether C sounds smoother and more refined than the XC. Plus there's the comfort factor.

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #2,351 of 4,813
After 10 days of 24 hours a day playing music from Jango through my Ether Cs I think they are broken in enough. Loved the sound through my ALO Island after three days. Now for a few weeks or so on my Lyr/Bifrost Uber system until Yggy comes in 

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #2,352 of 4,813

Hi...  The XC would likely have more bass, that's the house sound.  However, when I see +10dB, what I usually infer is there is a fit or system issue.  On the fit side, you can verify the seal simply by having no music on and rubbing your fingertips together.  If you can hear the rubbing your fit is off, PM me for an assist if needed.  On the system side, once I saw a mis-wired XLR create a REALLY hollow sound, and another was Inthere's broken adaptor.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 12, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #2,353 of 4,813

Hi...  The XC would likely have more bass, that's the house sound.  However, when I see +10dB, what I usually infer is there is a fit or system issue.  On the fit side, you can verify the seal simply by having no music on and rubbing your fingertips together.  If you can hear the rubbing your fit is off, PM me for an assist if needed.  On the system side, once I saw a mis-wired XLR create a REALLY hollow sound, and another was Inthere's broken adaptor.

How can I check for mis-wired XLR? I guess it's time for me to get a cheap meter for continuity check.

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #2,354 of 4,813
I had the XC and sold it,made no sense to keep it because as a closed can it didnt isolate well at all......the Ether C on the other hand sounds great and isolates far better....I have only open cans other than the Ether C which to my ears is the best closed can currently available 

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #2,355 of 4,813
  How can I check for mis-wired XLR? I guess it's time for me to get a cheap meter for continuity check.

Multimeter is the only reliable way (other than a severe problem that puts your amp into "protection" or blows it's outputs).  If you're using an XLR to 1/4 or 3.5mm adaptor you might try the headphone on some different gear that has a native termination for the cable you have, just to rule the XLR adaptor out.  If any of this isn't making sense, PM me.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back