MrSpeakers Electrostatic Prototype Listening Impressions
May 13, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #901 of 937
Removing the dust screens is easy, the effect on sonics is large ('would love to hear others opinions on this) and does not (IMHO) cause much risk. The earpads hold the dust screens in place. The earpads are stretchy, and screens deform quite easily, so you can essentially grab the polymer frames of the polymer screens and pull them out through the holes for your ears.

Removing the metal screens is rather more difficult. The operation is riskier. The result is riskier. Better sound comes for a substantial cost in risk! Removing the metal screens and normal usage without them makes it easy to tear the quite delicate polymer film that envelopes and stators and diaphragm. If the film is torn, the ear speakers need to go back to Stax for repair. I did damage one of my screens. I returned the 009s to Stax and they repaired them for $1350, in about 2mo., including shipping time. The cost of the repair in time and money was worth the improvement in sound, *to me*, and I have just removed the screens from my repaired pair. However, I am fabricating some protective screens, to try to have the best of both worlds. Time will tell.

I will put together some instructions for removing the metal screens and post here, eventually. However BE FOREWARNED THAT THE RISK IS REAL.
Come to think of it I won't bother to remove the dust screens because I plan on selling my SR-009 headphones (best to leave them in as new condition) so I can buy the new ones (I think they're called SR-009s).

May 13, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #903 of 937
Come to think of it I won't bother to remove the dust screens because I plan on selling my SR-009 headphones (best to leave them in as new condition) so I can buy the new ones (I think they're called SR-009s).
Not much SHORT-TERM risk of catastrophic failure, that is. I do not know how real the long-term risk is, but the driver does get more exposed to build up of "dust".

May 13, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #905 of 937
No offense guys, but this is the mrspeakers electrostat thread, not the 009 modding thread....might wsnt to start your own thread or take it to PM.

May 13, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #906 of 937
Not much SHORT-TERM risk of catastrophic failure, that is. I do not know how real the long-term risk is, but the driver does get more exposed to build up of "dust".

Which is exactly the point. Dust screens improve long-term reliability, which is why Stax headphones from 40-50 years ago are still working just fine. This is why people were bugging Dan when the original prototypes of the VOCE didn't have dust screens. Removing them is a BAD idea for long-term reliability. I somewhat disagree with bearFNF, this really doesn't belong anywhere IMO.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #907 of 937
I’m happy to note we’ve shipped about half our backlog and to date have not had a single enquiry for support or service.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 20, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #908 of 937
May 30, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #910 of 937
We just buy/rent/borrow equipment arranged our own demo parties! :wink:

Full story here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/adv...-head-first-into-the-head-fi-deep-end.824351/ https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/chord-hugo-2.22209/reviews#review-19435

Kidding aside, @mrspeakers and team were *incredibly* generous to host me for several hours as I put the Ether line through its paces. Can't wait for an opportunity to hear the Voce's (Dan, you're always welcome to bring toys to our audio nights!)

Now that is a party I could get into! :smile_phones:

Jun 8, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #911 of 937
My Voce headphones arrived this week, with a new set of NOS Siemens EL34 tubes. Finally installed the tubes, and did preliminary adjustments.

The headphones are spectacularly packaged, and I much prefer the round cable to the flat Staxx cable, which always seems in danger of getting damaged.

I put the SR009s in the nice wood/lucite box, and installed the Voce on my BHSE. The Voceheadphones are very light compared to the SR009, and don’t seem to stick out from the skull as far. When moving my head, there is no slippage. First couple of songs sound great.

Dinner with wife tonight. Full warm up and bias adjustment tomorrow with some more listening.

Thanks Dan, for all your great headphones, I have an Ether Flow also, and for the tube recommendation.

Jun 16, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #912 of 937
My Voce headphones arrived this week, with a new set of NOS Siemens EL34 tubes. Finally installed the tubes, and did preliminary adjustments.

The headphones are spectacularly packaged, and I much prefer the round cable to the flat Staxx cable, which always seems in danger of getting damaged.

I put the SR009s in the nice wood/lucite box, and installed the Voce on my BHSE. The Voceheadphones are very light compared to the SR009, and don’t seem to stick out from the skull as far. When moving my head, there is no slippage. First couple of songs sound great.

Dinner with wife tonight. Full warm up and bias adjustment tomorrow with some more listening.

Thanks Dan, for all your great headphones, I have an Ether Flow also, and for the tube recommendation.
Hope the dinner with your wife didn't end with a divorce:) with all you audio purchases.
When you have more time maybe you can write in depth about 009 vs Voce.
Thank you.

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #913 of 937
Jun 18, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #914 of 937
Good news, by end of week we should be in stock! Also, a review is in the new TAS Headphone Guide...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 21, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #915 of 937
Here's something cool from the HiFi+ review in the TAS headphone guide, I think this is the only headphone they've rated with their new system to get perfect marks.

edit: the post isn't letting me upload an image file for some reason. Rats!

Attachments

• Review Summary HiFi+.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back