MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 29, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #2,732 of 2,891
So I recently picked up a used pair of alpha primes, and I've gotta say, I didn't expect to like them this much. I really can't think of anything I don't like about these headphones, aside from the fact that they can be a bit bright for me on some tracks (though I just took the pads off and noticed there are no discs or dots installed at all). I can't help but use the old cliche that I'm hearing things in songs I haven't heard with any of my other headphones. They've shaken up my little headphone world haha. I'm using them at work since I need closed headphones, but I've ended up liking them as much as or more than my open headphones at home (lcd 2.2, he500, hd650, elear). I don't think I'll ever get rid of these. I even moved my lyr 2 from home to work so I could use it with the primes.

At home I'm not restricted to using closed headphones, sooooo what are some open headphones you guys would consider similar to or clearly better than these? I realize "better" is subjective of course - just looking for some opinions.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #2,733 of 2,891
So I recently picked up a used pair of alpha primes, and I've gotta say, I didn't expect to like them this much. I really can't think of anything I don't like about these headphones, aside from the fact that they can be a bit bright for me on some tracks (though I just took the pads off and noticed there are no discs or dots installed at all). I can't help but use the old cliche that I'm hearing things in songs I haven't heard with any of my other headphones. They've shaken up my little headphone world haha. I'm using them at work since I need closed headphones, but I've ended up liking them as much as or more than my open headphones at home (lcd 2.2, he500, hd650, elear). I don't think I'll ever get rid of these. I even moved my lyr 2 from home to work so I could use it with the primes.

At home I'm not restricted to using closed headphones, sooooo what are some open headphones you guys would consider similar to or clearly better than these? I realize "better" is subjective of course - just looking for some opinions.

HD 800S is my complimentary set to the Primes

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #2,734 of 2,891
HD 800S is my complimentary set to the Primes
I listened to an HD800 with the anax mod, and even then it had more treble than I think I'd like. Is the HD800S similar in that regard? I guess I should mention that I tend to like a chunkier sound for lack of a better term. Also, I've gotten rid of almost all the dynamic headphones I've owned, generally favoring the planar sound, though I can't put my finger on what exactly I like more about them. The elear is the only dynamic headphone (so far) that I've really enjoyed.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #2,735 of 2,891
I listened to an HD800 with the anax mod, and even then it had more treble than I think I'd like. Is the HD800S similar in that regard? I guess I should mention that I tend to like a chunkier sound for lack of a better term. Also, I've gotten rid of almost all the dynamic headphones I've owned, generally favoring the planar sound, though I can't put my finger on what exactly I like more about them. The elear is the only dynamic headphone (so far) that I've really enjoyed.

Audeze might be a better bet, but I've never owned one. the 800S's aren't shrill, but the treble is very clear and extended. If the recording is bright, it's just going to be bright with them.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #2,736 of 2,891
Audeze might be a better bet, but I've never owned one. the 800S's aren't shrill, but the treble is very clear and extended. If the recording is bright, it's just going to be bright with them.
Yeah, the treble sounded really good on the modded HD800. There was just more of it than I would like. I've heard an LCD3F, and I really liked it. It just wasn't as large of an improvement over the primes as I thought it would be, which I guess just goes to show how much I really like these headphones lol. That's what made me wonder what else is out there.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #2,737 of 2,891
Yeah, the treble sounded really good on the modded HD800. There was just more of it than I would like. I've heard an LCD3F, and I really liked it. It just wasn't as large of an improvement over the primes as I thought it would be, which I guess just goes to show how much I really like these headphones lol. That's what made me wonder what else is out there.
For over three years, I have been shocked every time about how good the Primes are. They stand up to the 800S's pretty well, IMO

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #2,738 of 2,891
I sadly remember when I decided to sell my primes for the Aeon Flow, and lets say I was totally disappointed.Big mistake! I loved those headphones, only issue for me was the weight. But I was really happy with them, Anyways I ended up selling the Aeons and bought the Sony Z1R and I am happy now. So for any Primes owners thinking of selling them, please don't.

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #2,739 of 2,891
For over three years, I have been shocked every time about how good the Primes are. They stand up to the 800S's pretty well, IMO
I've got them for two and a half years now and I have not heard a better closed headphone. Even most open I do not like as much as I like to listen to very different styles of music, from pop, rock, alternative, jazz, synthesizer, EDM, singer/songwriter to classical music. I find that most headphones at least do one thing wrong, but the Primes seem to do everything right.
Last summer I listened to them on the Chord Hugo 2 and the Hugo 2 revealed a lot more detail than I thought possible. The Primes are not the limiting factor :L3000:.

Jan 30, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #2,740 of 2,891
I sadly remember when I decided to sell my primes for the Aeon Flow, and lets say I was totally disappointed.Big mistake! I loved those headphones, only issue for me was the weight. But I was really happy with them, Anyways I ended up selling the Aeons and bought the Sony Z1R and I am happy now. So for any Primes owners thinking of selling them, please don't.

Good to see you again! We don't share a lot of threads lately...

Jan 30, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #2,741 of 2,891
Hello friend !
So between Z1R and Prime ?

Jan 30, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #2,742 of 2,891
Hello friend !
So between Z1R and Prime ?
I really like the Z1r more - but not by a lot. the comfort and light weight of the Sony are awesome- easier to drive- as I remember not too far apart but I think Sony sound a tad more detailed with more bass impact which I find really awesome. However, i would recommend the Sonys only l if u can get them under 1500- I wanted to try the Atticus or Eikon but I really wanted something lighter and Sony fits the bill.

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #2,744 of 2,891
You should be very excited. The Primes are sublime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back