MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 18, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #2,478 of 2,891
Quick question guys - perhaps it has been answered before.
I've been thinking of upgrading my Alpha Dogs to Alpha Prime. However I'm in Europe and would have to ship them to the US of A, then get them back and pay additional 0.2*(200$+price of shipping back to Europe cheapest was about 50$ + some other custom taxes) so the whole shebang will become around 320$ per my calculations. And that's with the cheapest shipping. Alpha Dogs were my first hi-fi headphone and they are great, however I now have Audeze LCD-2s and HD800, and Alpha Dog would fill my niche of being a closed back headphone with more isolation.

So my question is - would the upgrade be worth it for 320$ from ADs to APs? And if not am I better off selling these and looking for another closed back headphone?

Edit: Forgot to factor in shipping to the USA so total about 350$.

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #2,485 of 2,891
I wouldnt call the Primes recessed in vocals, but not forward either. Just smooth.

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #2,486 of 2,891
This all might be coming from the fact that I'm using an older Sony DAC and listening to the radio ... but the vocals don't seem detailed and have a buzz to them. Then again when I would up the volume I could hear distortions.

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #2,487 of 2,891
I was also wondering what you guys thought about these options of amp/dacs?

- DarkVoice 336SE

- Jotunheim

- Magni 2 / Modi 2

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #2,488 of 2,891
  I was also wondering what you guys thought about these options of amp/dacs?

- DarkVoice 336SE

- Jotunheim

- Magni 2 / Modi 2

I have the Magni/Modi 2 Uber stack. I don't like the pairing with Alpha Primes for music.

With regard to your comment on vocals, I find the Primes quite odd, with some tracks, the sound is off, sometimes totally off, almost like the drivers are broken, I mean that bad, like "splat splat". Other times I get an effect like you're describing, where a range seems recessed or submerged. And then the rest of the time, most of the time, they are fantastic. I can't figure out what's going on.

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #2,489 of 2,891

I have the Magni/Modi 2 Uber stack. I don't like the pairing with Alpha Primes for music.

With regard to your comment on vocals, I find the Primes quite odd, with some tracks, the sound is off, sometimes totally off, almost like the drivers are broken, I mean that bad, like "splat splat". Other times I get an effect like you're describing, where a range seems recessed or submerged. And then the rest of the time, most of the time, they are fantastic. I can't figure out what's going on.

I wonder if this has to do with the recording. I listened to Sia - Cheap Thrills last night .. when I listen to it without the headphone there doesn't seem to be such an added buzzing to her voice, although it does sound like whoever mixed that song wanted a buzz-like effect to her voice. I'm not sure either.

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #2,490 of 2,891

I wonder if this has to do with the recording. I listened to Sia - Cheap Thrills last night .. when I listen to it without the headphone there doesn't seem to be such an added buzzing to her voice, although it does sound like whoever mixed that song wanted a buzz-like effect to her voice. I'm not sure either.

SIA 's voice is just
biggrin.gif
right. Have you heard the Crisp ft SIA album?

her oldies are the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back