MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 5, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #2,086 of 2,891
100% agree, (like all superior headphones) Primes ought to be matched with good setup to reveal themselves fully. And if you provide them with high quality source (read - good production and high-res audio); aaah, aaaaaaah! 

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #2,087 of 2,891
  BTW, all non-Ether headphones are sold out on MrSpeakers website, likely for good and even more likely to never be offered again. So keep hold of yours dogs and primes, they now officially have 'vintage' status.

We have just two sets of Primes left here. Sad this will be the end of the line for one of my favorites. It would not shock me if Dan decides to cook up something amazing at a lower price after he finishes up the new electrostat project (but not even us dealers know for sure).

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #2,088 of 2,891
  So glad you are enjoying them.  It's been a ton of fun making this headphone, and I feel kind of sad that it's coming to an end...  

beerchug.gif

first, thanks for some of the best headphones to grace this good earth. second, I hope you revisit the mid-fi/sub $500 market in the future. I absolutely love my primes to no end. but I also love my MD3.2. they punch so far above their price point, its ridiculous. I hope you'll introduce a replacement so that more people who cant afford 4 digit headphones can experience your awesome headphones.

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #2,089 of 2,891

first, thanks for some of the best headphones to grace this good earth. second, I hope you revisit the mid-fi/sub $500 market in the future. I absolutely love my primes to no end. but I also love my MD3.2. they punch so far above their price point, its ridiculous. I hope you'll introduce a replacement so that more people who cant afford 4 digit headphones can experience your awesome headphones.

Will...Massdrop...Dan...China.

TH-XOO...Over 5000 sold.

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #2,090 of 2,891
We have no plans to manufacture our headphones in China, I believe we can deliver better quality and also protect our IP better by manufacturing in the US. 

One note: we do have a few more Alphas on the store, when we finished the last build our yields were very high and so we got a few more than we expected.  Last, last call!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 7, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #2,091 of 2,891
Any news on when you will start offering upgrades to the Primes, as mentioned a few pages ago?

Apr 7, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #2,092 of 2,891
We have a problem we hadn't considered; we don't have blank risers from new T50s to mark as Alpha Prime, we have risers that say Alpha Dog and there's not a good way to change that without leaving a "ghost" image under the anodizing.  So I have a little work to do with the team to find a solution, otherwise the updated Primes will say Dogs, and confusion happens.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 8, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #2,095 of 2,891
I second that, like adding the Greek sign for alpha on the cups will be awesome, and yes make them a bit of a collector item. I love these cans so much I'll gladly get another pair... but must have Ether C...closed headphones rule, and imho MrSpeakers rules among them all!

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #2,096 of 2,891
I second that, like adding the Greek sign for alpha on the cups will be awesome, and yes make them a bit of a collector item. I love these cans so much I'll gladly get another pair... but must have Ether C...closed headphones rule, and imho MrSpeakers rules among them all!

I 2nd that. I need closed headphones since most of my listening is at work, and I think MrSpeakers are the best of the bunch. Hey Dan, if I slap a big MrSpeakers logo on my car can I have a free Ether C? :)

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #2,097 of 2,891

...I need closed headphones since most of my listening is at work, and I think MrSpeakers are the best of the bunch...

More importantly (to me that is) closed headphones provide superior detail in comparison to open counterparts. And I discovered this only last year, after listening to open headphones for more than 15 years
frown.gif
 .... oh well, better late than never. Ooh, my wife has been soooooo much happier since my sudden change of taste, not to mention that I can crank it up in bed now 
L3000.gif
 (my Primes get 100% credit, how do you put a price tag on that)

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #2,099 of 2,891
I've read very good reviews on the blackwood, haven't seen a post directly comparing them to Prime but might be on the ZMF thread. My understanding is that it is fairly neutral and in many ways to the Vibro what the Prime is to the Dog. And if we look at it this way, or at least me, and since I have both Alphas, and since I also listen to metal and prog metal, I'd share that I prefer the Dogs for these genres because of the accentuated mids and lows (though this may not be of much help to you). If the Blackwoods are as good or close to the Primes' performance (doubt but they could be), they must indeed be awesome then. My 2¢

Apr 15, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #2,100 of 2,891
  We have a problem we hadn't considered; we don't have blank risers from new T50s to mark as Alpha Prime, we have risers that say Alpha Dog and there's not a good way to change that without leaving a "ghost" image under the anodizing.  So I have a little work to do with the team to find a solution, otherwise the updated Primes will say Dogs, and confusion happens.

Are you in any way still planning to release some of the modding techniques to any of the T50RP mods once they're gone? I've seen inside Mad Dogs and whatnot, but I've always been curious about the knurling as well. I'm sure it'll never happen, I can hope though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back