MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 24, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #2,071 of 2,891

I'd like to see Dan hook up with Massdrop and develope a set of killer hp's in the $400-$600 range for us that are on a stricter budget. Look at the Fostex TH-XOO, Massdrop has sold about 4000 of those with more than 2000 people signed up for the next drop.

They were called Alpha Dog!! Cant get any more killer than that! I am hoping that someday he will come up with a smaller affordable portable version something like PM-3 or Sine.  

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #2,072 of 2,891
So glad you are enjoying them.  It's been a ton of fun making this headphone, and I feel kind of sad that it's coming to an end...  

beerchug.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 24, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #2,073 of 2,891
So glad you are enjoying them.  It's been a ton of fun making this headphone, and I feel kind of sad that it's coming to an end...  

:beerchug:

It is a sad time, but luckily i found one used in good condition. Heard the MK3s are real great (gotta try em all haha)

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #2,075 of 2,891

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

As I write this I listen to Genesis' Abacab, SACD edition thru the Primes (and the setup seen in the pic) - oh, what a kicker! The Primes are the cherry on the top, sweet, reeeeeeal sweet! 

Kudos for the dedication, the results show! And most importantly for sticking to what sounds right, not necessarily going to what may judged right! Looking forward to the day when Ether will join the Prime on my desk. So I get to pick from more cherries :) Speaking of the Primes, as we should on this thread, and their stand to be precise (I am very grateful you included it in the first batches) - I did a quick (and kinda crude but very stable) fix to it so it supports the headphones without having to disconnect the cable every time:

Anyhow, keep the great work guys, keep great cans coming! ...another note about the Primes - you play a cut just to hear how it sounds thru them, and you end up listening thru the whole album, just can't put them down ... well, well, I now realize that Abacab is actually a very good album, not Gabriel-good but very much in Duke's mold .... I'm having a mini-blast tonight and it's all Prime's fault, so thx Primes! And yes cheers!
beerchug.gif

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #2,076 of 2,891
As I write this I listen to Genesis' Abacab, SACD edition thru the Primes (and the setup seen in the pic) - oh, what a kicker! The Primes are the cherry on the top, sweet, reeeeeeal sweet! 

Kudos for the dedication, the results show! And most importantly for sticking to what sounds right, not necessarily going to what may judged right! Looking forward to the day when Ether will join the Prime on my desk. So I get to pick from more cherries :) Speaking of the Primes, as we should on this thread, and their stand to be precise (I am very grateful you included it in the first batches) - I did a quick (and kinda crude but very stable) fix to it so it supports the headphones without having to disconnect the cable every time:

Anyhow, keep the great work guys, keep great cans coming! ...another note about the Primes - you play a cut just to hear how it sounds thru them, and you end up listening thru the whole album, just can't put them down ... well, well, I now realize that Abacab is actually a very good album, not Gabriel-good but very much in Duke's mold .... I'm having a mini-blast tonight and it's all Prime's fault, so thx Primes! And yes cheers!

I am absolutely inspired to let loose with some music at my desk top set up. Sleep be damned!!!

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #2,078 of 2,891
These are very different imho, one is dynamic the other planar. T5P can be driven by most mobile devices, for the Primes you need a dedicated amp and one with a little bit of oomph. Soundwise they are likely very different too, I have read quick comparisons though have not heard T5P, still expect the Prime to be more detailed, more neutral and more balanced, i.e., better overall. And I'm sure Primes driver is much faster, hmmm, bass should be better too....but take that with grain of salt, as I said have not heard T5P. Bottom line, what is your intended use - driven off mobile or device with less juice, Primes will disappoint. Else, get the Prime while they are available, I think it is an incredible value soon to be gone.

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #2,080 of 2,891
It seems to me dx80 will have lots of trouble driving the Prime; looked briefly at its specs and the output is a fraction of what Grace m9xx outputs (I noted on the previous page that m9xx can drive the Prime adequately but with the volume up at 80%). You'll need a stationary amp for the Prime. Hmmm, even then ... lots of amps with wallwart style transformers qualify as stationary and many of those will have trouble driving them. I'd say go with T5P if dx80 will be your weapon of choice (for the foreseeable future). 

Apr 2, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #2,083 of 2,891
Probably not, given the reported sound quality of the Ethers (people say they are better than both LCD-X versions), it is likely that MrSpeakers is looking to position itself as a super premium brand and I don't see why not. It is too bad that there will be no more new dogs for sale. But hey, ZMF is still doing great T50RP clones right? So Dan's targeting higher market should be a good thing for them. If Zack can only expand capacity; judging the reaction to Massdrop's quick drop yesterday, there's plenty of demand on for his cans.

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #2,084 of 2,891
BTW, all non-Ether headphones are sold out on MrSpeakers website, likely for good and even more likely to never be offered again. So keep hold of yours dogs and primes, they now officially have 'vintage' status.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back