MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 22, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #2,026 of 2,891
Hello.

I have heard that the Alpha Prime is easier to drive than the Alpha Dog, that the V-Planar technology handles power better. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm thinking of upgrading to the Alpha Dog in the near future, but if the above is true, just might skip to the Prime.

thanks
smile.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #2,027 of 2,891
That's at 20 ohms. At 50 ohms, the output is 650 mW. Not saying it's bad. Actually, seems plenty. If you want more, maybe look into Schiit Asgard or Lyr. I have the latter and does well, but your wallet will be hurting because you'll inevitably sink money into various tubes.

I use my FiiO E09K at work and I'd say the limiting factor with the AP isn't necessarily the amp but the E17 DAC that's docked with it. I say this comparing it to my Schiit stack at home, which has more things complementing it (e.g., audio-optimized PC, bit-perfect music, etc.) vs. iPad jerry-rigged into FiiO at work.

That said, I also want to upgrade my work setup to squeeze out more from the AP when funds allow. I' struggling to find a combo that's reasonably priced but still a (supposed) marked improvement over my FiiO stack.

Thanks for that clarification. Rethinking the M9xx now.. Very interested in the Schiit offerings and eyeing the Magni/Modi Ubers but I dont really know what the best pairing would be for these Primes. 

Also, trying to stick to solid state haha, I dont want to get sucked into the orbit of that tube-rolling money (and time) sink. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #2,028 of 2,891
If anyone has any experience rolling op amps, and would like to help out a noob, please pm me.

I stumbled across a thread a while ago so i know that there is one on head-fi, but ill have to find it. You might be able to do with a bit of searching. I thought i bookmarked it but i couldnt find it. Here is one i just found though:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/397691/audio-gd-discrete-op-amps-reviewed-opa-earth-opa-moon-opa-sun-v-2

Feb 23, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #2,030 of 2,891
Is there anything comparable to the AP's in Today's market in the $400-$600 range?

The closest I've heard is the Beyerdynamic DT1770, which is a little warmer sounding, not quite as open, and not quite as detailed, but pretty close overall. The Beyer is a little bassier, but it's way easier to drive, and more portable.

If you don't mind a little extra bass (but not bloated, boomy bass, the DT1770 are great). You probably wouldn't long for anything more unless you compared the two directly, as I have.

I'm selling mine in like-new condition for $500 because I prefer the Primes. I've only had them for 3 weeks and they're in pristine condition.

Pm me if you want to to discuss the merits of the Beyers.

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #2,031 of 2,891
I am sorry in advance if this is a bit off topic, but I am not receiving much traction in the "suggestions thread" so I am going to try my luck here and hope that some of you Alpha Prime owners are into IEMs as well!

I love my Alpha Primes, but they are a bit bulky and goofy to take with me on the go so I am looking for some recommendations for IEMs that have the same sound signature or similar sound signature to the Alpha Primes. I know there aren't any that will match these characteristics exactly, but I'm hoping that there is a universal IEM (or possibly a CIEM) that may be up to par with the Primes in these categories below:

Requirements:
(As many as possible)

- Sound signature (neutral and linear with visceral bass slam, smooth treble, realistic and natural female vocals)
- Technical ability (planar sound)
- Imaging (black background, precise positioning,)
- Clarity
- Detail retrieval 
- Depth (3d depth, not in-your-head, not intimate)
- Soundstage (airy, large soundstage)
- Low noise
- Detachable cables (preferred) 
- Price Range: $200-800, Sweet spot is $400

Interested in:

I am very interested in Hybrid IEMs, and open to Dynamic-only IEMs, but would prefer multiple BAs or Hybrids. Any and ALL suggestions are welcome! Please feel free to critique suggestions as well since I have no way to discern whether suggestions are accurate or not.

I am also interested in a few of these IEMs which I have no way to delineate without peer feedback. Feel free to knock these off the list if you dont think they will be a match:
- DN-2000J
- Sony Z5
- Sony A3
- Fidue A83
- Sennheiser IE800
- Vibro Labs Aria (universal/custom)
- Noble Savant
- Rhapsodio Solar
- UM Maestro
- UM Melody

Alpha Prime Measurements:

Here is a link to the  Freq. Response graph of the Alpha Primes from Inner Fidelity: www.innerfidelity.com/images/MrSpeakersAlphaPrime.pdf 
Please refer to my Member Profile for reference as well.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #2,032 of 2,891
Strongly, strongly recommend the JVC ha-fx1100 iems. I also have the alpha primes and find that these offer a very similar experience. Build quality is top drawer....cables are removable. I had the hifiman re600s before these and they were junk in comparison. The jvcs have wooden casings and I think this makes them sound warm...but detail and balance is superb.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/748207/jvc-new-top-tier-wooden-iem-jvc-ha-fx-1100

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #2,033 of 2,891
I am sorry in advance if this is a bit off topic, but I am not receiving much traction in the "suggestions thread" so I am going to try my luck here and hope that some of you Alpha Prime owners are into IEMs as well!

I love my Alpha Primes, but they are a bit bulky and goofy to take with me on the go so I am looking for some recommendations for IEMs that have the same sound signature or similar sound signature to the Alpha Primes. I know there aren't any that will match these characteristics exactly, but I'm hoping that there is a universal IEM (or possibly a CIEM) that may be up to par with the Primes in these categories below:

Requirements:

(As many as possible)

- Sound signature (neutral and linear with visceral bass slam, smooth treble, realistic and natural female vocals)

- Clarity

- Detail retrieval 

- Low noise

Interested in:

I am very interested in Hybrid IEMs, and open to Dynamic-only IEMs, but would prefer multiple BAs or Hybrids. Any and ALL suggestions are welcome! Please feel free to critique suggestions as well since I have no way to discern whether suggestions are accurate or not.

I am also interested in a few of these IEMs which I have no way to delineate without peer feedback. Feel free to knock these off the list if you dont think they will be a match:

- DN-2000J

- Sony Z5

- Sony A3

- Fidue A83

- Sennheiser IE800

- Vibro Labs Aria (universal/custom)

- Noble Savant

- Rhapsodio Solar

- UM Maestro

- UM Melody

Alpha Prime Measurements:

Here is a link to the  Freq. Response graph of the Alpha Primes from Inner Fidelity: [COLOR=006621]www.[/COLOR][COLOR=006621]innerfidelity[/COLOR][COLOR=006621].com/images/MrSpeakers[/COLOR][COLOR=006621]AlphaPrime[/COLOR][COLOR=006621].pdf [/COLOR]

Please refer to my Member Profile for reference as well.

Thanks in advance!

My experience with IEM is just cheaper models and the Sleek Audio SA6. Most of what you want is possible, but the spaciousness will always sound very different due to differences of the sound reaching your ear canal.

I think the SA6 is almost as detailed, has a nice bass and with the improved cable it should be sturdy enough.
Unfortunately, they as only for sale as spare parts, but well within you price range.

Good luck in your search.

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #2,034 of 2,891

Requirements:
(As many as possible)

- Clarity
- Detail retrieval 
- Low noise

Interested in:

- Noble Savant

I would probably mark the Savant off of the list -- it's the only one I've tried -- as, though it sounds pretty amazing, it lacks the out-of-your-head experience compared to the 64 Audio ADEL series. So if you haven't yet looked, you might want to consider a few models in their lineup. Potentially the biggest problem would be finding the right sound signature in your desired price range.

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #2,035 of 2,891

I would probably mark the Savant off of the list -- it's the only one I've tried -- as, though it sounds pretty amazing, it lacks the out-of-your-head experience compared to the 64 Audio ADEL series. So if you haven't yet looked, you might want to consider a few models in their lineup. Potentially the biggest problem would be finding the right sound signature in your desired price range.

WOW. Thanks for exposing me to that IEM. They are news to me and they sound fantastic! However, when i went through the product line they did not offer a model that has a similar freq. response as the primes. The Primes have a neutral and linear response and only the slightest emphasis in the sub-bass, about 1-2 db and I dont believe 64audio offers this sound, or even a completely neutral sound.

I notice that you own the k10, how does that compare?

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #2,036 of 2,891
You'd probably be best served reading reviews on the K10 as I'm not well versed at describing sound, but if it helps: When I first got the K10 I was very pleased with how much I enjoyed the sound when comparing it to the Primes (the K10s were my next purchase after) - everything was pretty well balanced with perhaps a slight boost in the lower region, and overall I just enjoyed myself disappearing into the music rather than trying to pick out characteristics of the headphone/IEM and seeing how it served the music. I was extremely happy.

But again, do some research from better resources than me, haha.

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #2,037 of 2,891
  You'd probably be best served reading reviews on the K10 as I'm not well versed at describing sound, but if it helps: When I first got the K10 I was very pleased with how much I enjoyed the sound when comparing it to the Primes (the K10s were my next purchase after) - everything was pretty well balanced with perhaps a slight boost in the lower region, and overall I just enjoyed myself disappearing into the music rather than trying to pick out characteristics of the headphone/IEM and seeing how it served the music. I was extremely happy.

But again, do some research from better resources than me, haha.

I have, I was just wondering, in your case since you own both, how similar they sound to each other. Does the K10 sound like the Primes? Is it the same experience but in a smaller shell?

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #2,038 of 2,891
I always thought they were relatively similar. I think the K10s definitely are warmer, with somewhat boomier bass, while the Primes are obviously more on the side of neutral with brighter/more "twinkly" presentation, which I guess can count as sounding more detailed. Those are the differences that I note in each that leave me wanting to listen to the other (differences in wearability aside), but I am pleased with both and never feel like I miss out on experiencing my music (spanning all sorts of genres) with either.

That's about all I feel comfortable saying because I have no experience describing sound and I don't want to mislead you.

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #2,039 of 2,891
  I always thought they were relatively similar. I think the K10s definitely are warmer, with somewhat boomier bass, while the Primes are obviously more on the side of neutral with brighter/more "twinkly" presentation, which I guess can count as sounding more detailed. Those are the differences that I note in each that leave me wanting to listen to the other (differences in wearability aside), but I am pleased with both and never feel like I miss out on experiencing my music (spanning all sorts of genres) with either.

That's about all I feel comfortable saying because I have no experience describing sound and I don't want to mislead you.

Thank you! Now I need to stop by the Noble booth during Can Jam!

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #2,040 of 2,891
Quick update on my Primes. I've had them since I upgraded my original Alpha Dogs, what?, a year and a half ago maybe...

I've really enjoyed them, but felt they were too "revealing" for mediocre recordings, especially my beloved Black Sabbath. That is until I got the Cavalli Liquid Carbon.

So, the other night I was taking a study break, and decided to put the album "Paranoid" on, recorded from CD to flac fon my Drobo NAS. Now, you've got to understand I have been listening to this album since I was about 11 years old, so for 41 years. I believe I have heard everything this recording has to offer. I was wrong.

The combination of the Primes, along with the Liquid Carbon and Benchmark DAC-1 is a formidable combination. But here's the thing- while listening to War Pigs, I clearly heard 2 separate bass guitar tracks. Now I know that Tony Iommi doubled his guitar parts a lot, but I had no idea that Geezer did the same thing. I'm also a bass player, and have listened to this song so many times I can't possibly count them. I really thought I was hearing things, until I looked it up online. Google is your friend! It turns out that the recording engineer ran the bass guitar directly into the board, and mic'd through the bass amp= 2 tracks!

This is not exactly an audiophile recording. In fact, with this rig I can clearly hear the punches, where the engineer is clicking in a track that was otherwise silent. It's an amazing experience!

I tried the same thing with my other headphones, and I just can't hear that level of detail. I know my other gear has a part to play in this, but the Primes continue to impress me the more I listen to them. Still one of the great bargains, if they're available. I have no doubt I'm going to have to spend serious money to get better than these are, and right now I just don't feel like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back