MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 11, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #1,996 of 2,891
Have been reading this thread in bits and pieces. Would folks, with more time having passed, recommend the upgrade from AD to AP?

Also, reading some of the posts on this page: which Schiit amps fall into the "more power" range (or just sound really good with these)? Actually, what I'm curious about is whether one of the Asgard 2 or Lyr 2 is "obviously" superior as a match, tubes notwithstanding.

I upgraded back...well, it's been a while. Not even one second of buyers remorse: one of the best deals going!

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #1,999 of 2,891
What's the story with mrspeakers, when is Dan coming out with a new line? Anybody have the latest scoop?

If part of what prompts this question is the fact that Alpha Primes are being discontinued, then what I can say is that the mk2 driver has been discontinued, so Dan is moving away from using Fostex drivers. Beyond that I don't know what is in store for the future :)

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #2,001 of 2,891
  I can't wait for a smaller closed portable i.e. Oppo PM-3 or Audeze Sine -- I can only dream!!!  Alpha Puppy
lol

Well the Ether C is a huge step in the right direction for portable; it's lightweight with hardly any leakage and great isolation. The only possible issue is I don't think a smartphone can really drive it. I use them all the time on flights with my C5 and now my Mojo and they sound great. 

Feb 16, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #2,003 of 2,891
  Does anyone have any DIRECT comparisons with the lcd-2s? As in you have both of them to A/B? the lcd2s are on sale for 750 and I am on the fence!

I've done this direct comparison, but it has been too long to give you lots of details. What I can tell you is these two headphones present music very, very differently IMO, and which you prefer will come down to a matter of taste. I personally do not like how vocals are presented on Audeze headphones, which is one reason why I am so pleased with my Omni. There are lots of LCD-2 fans out there, though, so...yeah.

Feb 16, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #2,004 of 2,891
  I've done this direct comparison, but it has been too long to give you lots of details. What I can tell you is these two headphones present music very, very differently IMO, and which you prefer will come down to a matter of taste. I personally do not like how vocals are presented on Audeze headphones, which is one reason why I am so pleased with my Omni. There are lots of LCD-2 fans out there, though, so...yeah.

I am glad you came along! I was hoping for a good comparison between the Omni (any wood variant) and the primes! There arent very many documented reviews of the two against each other, and the most in depth one I could find was between the Blackwood and the Primes. Would you be able to provide this? Vocals are important to me and if the lcd-2s cant do vocals I guess ill reconsider the Omnis as a substitute :p The slightyly increased bass response of the Omnis (Zack's new stock tuning) was a bit of a turn off for me though.

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #2,005 of 2,891
Is anyone driving the Alpha Primes out of a Soundblaster X7? What are the results?

Should I just bite the bullet and get a better amp than the X7? What's a good fit in the $500 range? I would ideally like something that can power passive speakers as well.

Thanks!

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #2,006 of 2,891
Very glad to see that many of you enjoy these headphones.  I just bought a pair - should get to me on Friday.  The guys on Reddit were starting to make me think I had made a grave error in purchasing them.  Anxiously awaiting their arrival.

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #2,007 of 2,891
My Alpha Primes are on the way. How is everyone here driving them? I'd like to grab a versatile amp that can double as a stereo speaker amp around $300-400. Any suggestions? 

For now, the only thing I have that can drive them is my Soundblaster X7. I'm debating whether it's worth it to swap the op-amps on it. 

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #2,009 of 2,891
I am driving them with a Sound Blaster E5 to adequate levels, but looking into either the JDSlabs The Element or the Grace M9XX to hit that 1-1.5W sweet spot. Still hoping for impressions from other Prime owners or alternatives as well though.

I believe the Soundblaster X7 and E5 have the same amp, but the X7 has a better dac.

I'm definitely looking for some recommendations as well.

Does the Grace M9XX have enough power for the Primes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back