1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by matttcg, Oct 7, 2014.
First

Back
87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96
98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107
Next

Last
  1. dusk
    nm! found one
    http://headfonics.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/MrSpeakersalphaprime_tuningGuide.pdf

2. jk47
    there's no bass port on the primes.

3. zachawry
    I've been driving my Primes through an AK120II attached to an ALO RK-MKIII-B+. 

Just out of curiosity, I am now listening to them directly through the AK alone, using a balanced connection.

My conclusion is.....Pretty good! The sound definitely isn't as compelling, sublime (some songs), or bone-rattling (other songs), but it's somewhere between 80 and 90%. 

Just in case in someone is searching for this on the forums. 

4. craigp

It was posted on this very thread (page 68): http://www.head-fi.org/t/737566/mrspeakers-alpha-prime-impressions-and-discussion-thread/1005#post_11283988

Some other info/comments there may possibly be of interest.

5. manbear
    It's funny, Ultrabike's post 1426 has almost twice as many likes as Dan's post 1429, and yet Dan's post is at #1 in the most-liked post listing on the home page... Do Dan's likes count extra or something?

Schopenhauer likes this.
  6. SanjiWatsuki
    It's because the #1 liked post on the home page is based upon the likes in the past 24 hours.

If you look at the 7-day likes, Ultrabike comes up as #1.

I suspect that most of the likes on Ultrabike's post are not in the last 24 hours -- the post is over 2 days old. It looks like Dan's post has received 7 reps in the last 24 hours.

Link here: http://www.head-fi.org/pages/stats/top/range/1day/#posts

7. money4me247 Contributor
    uh oh... i smell conspiracy =P

8. ultrabike
    I tend to agree with SanjiWatsuki. The system may take a while to move things up on the top 10. It may take snapshots or something. Who knows.

Schopenhauer likes this.
  9. dusk
  10. wahsmoh
    This thread has turned into a real oddity. It became a war over likes on headphones that I have heard that don't sound nearly as good as AP or AD. Maybe I have a clear preference for headphones that don't distort and muddy up the bass and that is why I prefer the closed AD over the open DT880? I just think it's odd that Srajan on 6moons would compare it favorably to the Audeze LCD-2 when here were are comparing it to mid-fi headphones that have clear limitations in sound and immersive enjoyment.

11. TMRaven
    DT880, HD650 are not mid-fi headphones.  They were once flagship headphones for their respective brands and contenders for world's best.  Their audio doesn't degrade over time either.

12. wahsmoh
    I have a DT880 sitting right next to me. It is clearly not the world's best. If it was why would they have come out with the T1 that people have a love/hate relationship with. Dynamic headphones are not the pinnacle of perfomance. HD800 is the only dynamic I would consider to image as good as planars I have heard. I have not heard MDR-R10 bass heavy enough either to give it a thumbs up.

13. money4me247 Contributor

i agree with this but wont they be considered 'mid-fi'now that there are even more 'hi-fi' flagships. i feel the defintion of mid-fi and hi-fi progressively changes as better and better headphones come out.

14. TMRaven
    The head-fi definition of mid-fi and hi-fi seems to always come down to a simple fact of money. People think that if a headphone costs 300, then it's clearly inferior and/or mid-fi compared to a headphone that's 1000. There are plenty of people who would consider an HD650 or DT880 to be a higher fidelity of sound compared to a T1.

Point is that there's good and bad apples no matter the price, and a headphone at a fraction of a price than another can easily possess more qualities that parallel the definition of having high fidelity.

In that matter, comparing the Prime to the DT880/650 is no less offensive as comparing it to the LCD2 and other expensive headphones.

ultrabike likes this.
  15. wahsmoh

I'm just saying based on my own ears and I have heard what is out there. The DT880 and HD650 aren't in the same league.

HE-560 is like having an improved DT880 across the board. Imaging, control, lack of edges, better impact in mids and bass.. The reason I compare is because the stock HE-560 leans towards bright like the DT880 but is technically superior. don't get me wrong the DT880 is a great headphone and it gets really close to neutral but it doesn't have the same control as planars in the same price range like the HE-4 or 400i.

First

Back
87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96
98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107
Next

Last