MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 8, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #1,396 of 2,891

Can you do a mini review of the ember? What tube are you using?

I am not great at audio jargon reviews, I'll try and describe to you best as I can. I'll do this over the weekend.

Right, so...Project Ember...

I've been very busy recently and have had no time for a mini review.  Please excuse my lack of ability to convey my experience in technical terms...!

Firstly I would like to say how great the pre-sales support from Garage 1217 was- they excelled themselves totally & I've been left very impressed. They promptly shipped from Arizona to UK and I'm delighted with the purchase.

Ember is gorgeous - well made, a beautiful mix of see-through acrylic screwed top panel with cooling vents that allow full view of circuitry. It looks stunning- you can see everything.  I chose red glow light, though you can change the colour yourself.  A lowly warm glow is emitted from underneath the tube, which creates a wonderful ambient atmosphere when the lights in the room are low or off.

I'm listening to "Nightshift" by The Commodores, one of my favourite ever songs as I write this -- I have it on repeat - it just sounds so sublime & I don't want the experience to end! Its this song with this audio setup that's powering my enthusiasm and desire to wax lyrical about Ember & Alpha Prime combo.

I am currently using my Surface Pro 3 with Xbox Music as source, a Fiio X5 as USB DAC using line out to Project Ember with standard supplied tube, into Alpha Prime headphones with standard headphone cable.

The sound is neutral, balanced, full.  The Ember coupled with X5 DAC brightens up the darker sound of the Primes where my Audio Gd NFB-15 just seemed to accentuate a darker, smoother sound. The NFB-15 was very good, but Ember is definitely (for my ears at least) way better.

There is more power (with jumpers set to max power and resistance set to lowest setting) and I cannot take the Embers volume pot past 11 o'clock without passing my threshold of comfortable listening. 9-10 o'clock is the sweet-spot for extended listening sessions.

The upper frequencies are well defined, clearer than with NFB-15, without becoming harsh. The mids and vocals are beautiful, with real depth to vocals that I just melt to. I can now hear more instrument separation and air, which creates a more open, wider soundstage and I can hear every little subtle nuance of the music & vocals.  I'm hearing detail in my music that I've never heard before. The bass is very well defined- not over kill nor muddy etc.  Impactful bass with beats and deep rolling baselines which I particularly enjoy. I love percussion in music even more than before- especially with a song like "Nightshift", everything just sounds so musical. A mate of mine said of the NFB-15 that he "could pretty much hear the ones and zero's in the music" but the Ember just isn't like that at all. I prefer the X5 DAC over the Wolfson 8741 by far- Fiio have done a cracking job.

The Ember, Prime & X5 combo can handle any genre of music perfectly, and TV/films also sound great with loads of detail and a really wide soundstage.  I particularly like watching F1 race coverage. I will watch the films "Interstellar" and "The Grey" (one of my favourites because of the ending and soundtrack) at some point to further test the setup.

For me, this is end game (apart from some fun, cost-effective, tube rolling). IF I can slowly save up (2-years worth of saving!!) for Mrspeakers Ether then I may purchase a pair to compliment my setup.  IMO, my setup is unbeatable for the total cost I've spent.  You cant go wrong! 

I hope this has helped those considering Ember & Alpha Prime.  I fall more in love with my music the more I listen with this setup.  I am a little sad that it's time for bed and I will have to wait till tomorrow evening before I can listen to "Nightshift" by The Commodores once more.

"There's gonna be some sweet sounds, coming down, on the Nightshift". 

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #1,397 of 2,891
A good, informative review of the Ember .

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #1,398 of 2,891
I'm sitting here at Starbucks listening to remastered version of Swamp by Talking Heads* on my Primes (AK120II to ALO RX-MKIII-B+), looking like a total geek, and I just want to jump up and scream to everybody, "You have no conception of what you're missing!

Once my Double Helix cables arrive, I fully expect to achieve religious zealot mode. 

Edit: Stop Making Sense on these things is just...a revelation. See, I'm sneaking into religious territory already. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #1,399 of 2,891
  I'm sitting here at Starbucks listening to remastered version of Swamp by Talking Heads* on my Primes (AK120II to ALO RX-MKIII-B+), looking like a total geek, and I just want to jump up and scream to everybody, "You have no conception of what you're missing!

Once my Double Helix cables arrive, I fully expect to achieve religious zealot mode. 

Edit: Stop Making Sense on these things is just...a revelation. See, I'm sneaking into religious territory already. 

Hehe listening to music through anything Mr. Speakers makes is just a fun experience. I just listened to Rush Limelight and The Beatles Withing You Without You. Both are captured perfectly with my Alpha Dogs.
biggrin.gif

Ooo I got that album too. Speaking in Tongues. I am listening to that song now in 24/96 and I agree! Everyone is missing out!! I could care less if I look like a dork as long as the sound is top notch!!

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #1,400 of 2,891
Hehe listening to music through anything Mr. Speakers makes is just a fun experience. I just listened to Rush Limelight and The Beatles Withing You Without You. Both are captured perfectly with my Alpha Dogs. :D  

Ooo I got that album too. Speaking in Tongues. I am listening to that song now in 24/96 and I agree! Everyone is missing out!! I could care less if I look like a dork as long as the sound is top notch!!

I wore my Alpha Dog's to crowded medical lab, I looked like ubber geek nerd but I got lost into the music, and forgot, how crowded the room was. :D

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #1,401 of 2,891
I wore my Alpha Dog's to crowded medical lab, I looked like ubber geek nerd but I got lost into the music, and forgot, how crowded the room was.
biggrin.gif

Dan was running around Osaki Station during peak hours last year with the Alpha Primes around his neck and everyone went around about their business (except us who immediately identified him..."Head-Fier!!").

The good thing about Tokyo is that you can wear about anything and it's considered as fashion.

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #1,402 of 2,891
Dan was running around Osaki Station during peak hours last year with the Alpha Primes around his neck and everyone went around about their business (except us who immediately identified him..."Head-Fier!!").

The good thing about Tokyo is that you can wear about anything and it's considered as fashion.

Cool, Tokyo seems like a very neat city to visit.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #1,403 of 2,891
I listen to my Prime in the car while waiting for my wife to finish work.Once,while waiting I get thirsty and decide to wear the Phone while having a tea at our 'local-style' curry place.Needless to say,lots of head turns as i walk in and lots of stares while i was there.Too bad my rig is fit in a case-simple,not a 4-brick stack (hdd+dap+dac+amp?).

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #1,404 of 2,891
I listen to my Prime in the car while waiting for my wife to finish work.Once,while waiting I get thirsty and decide to wear the Phone while having a tea at our 'local-style' curry place.Needless to say,lots of head turns as i walk in and lots of stares while i was there.Too bad my rig is fit in a case-simple,not a 4-brick stack (hdd+dap+dac+amp?).

naw man, they were just staring at you bc of ur killer good looks :)

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #1,406 of 2,891
Burn it in and then maybe try out an aftermarket cable and see how you like it. I'm surprised to see people sell their Primes and Dogs before ever experimenting with cables. Like they aren't worthy of Audeze LCD that have $200-500 cables that I see on every setup.

also DACs can have a profound effect on the headphone's sound. More so than an amp (as long as you get sufficient power). I would argue that DACs play an even more important role in hearing a closed headphone because of the isolation factor and that all the detail doesn't leak out like an open headphone would.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,407 of 2,891
  Burn it in and then maybe try out an aftermarket cable and see how you like it. I'm surprised to see people sell their Primes and Dogs before ever experimenting with cables. Like they aren't worthy of Audeze LCD that have $200-500 cables that I see on every setup.

also DACs can have a profound effect on the headphone's sound. More so than an amp (as long as you get sufficient power). I would argue that DACs play an even more important role in hearing a closed headphone because of the isolation factor and that all the detail doesn't leak out like an open headphone would.

At the risk of starting a huge argument, a majority of people (which includes myself) believe that a cable doesn't have much of a difference in sound at all. Or in general honestly. DACs are more debatable, as some DACs and DAC chips are prone to changing the sound subtley due to their filters, but most mid-range DACs sound the same.

Amps, on the other hand, provide distortion (like the Soloist or a tube amp.)

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #1,408 of 2,891
hahah i agree with pacotaco's gist & would personally recommend that if you dont like a sound signature after a week, don't bother. do please give it at least a week though since our brains need time to adjust an unfamiliar sound sig.

it doesnt make sense to me to invest a lot of money into additional components if the headphone's sound sig alrdy sounds off to you. mite as well just get a pair of headphone's that fit your preferences stock and then if u like, u can add on goodies. personal opinion. no need to argue. ymmv

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #1,409 of 2,891

At the risk of starting a huge argument, a majority of people (which includes myself) believe that a cable doesn't have much of a difference in sound at all. Or in general honestly. DACs are more debatable, as some DACs and DAC chips are prone to changing the sound subtley due to their filters, but most mid-range DACs sound the same.

Amps, on the other hand, provide distortion (like the Soloist or a tube amp.)

Hehe, well I won't go into cables. All I will say is burn in the  headphones and if you like them buy a nice cable and see if you like it. I own a DAC that is R2R and has a custom filter. I wonder how many people who have heard the AD and AP through S-D could attribute the splashy treble or harshness to their DAC when in reality it is not the  headphone.

Bifrost Uber gave me more edge and glare and not as big of a soundstage as my super bean burrito DAC from 1994. So what does that say about people who own $100 DAC and then complain of sound? I value opinions of people who own gear to match their headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back