MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Aug 10, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #301 of 9,071
For better or worse, the ADs do not have the slightly to significantly boosted bass of the MDs, D2/5/7000 or the Fostex th900 (caveat - only a minute or two with the th900's). I owned the D7000 for a year, and heard them again today. I still love them. The ADs are not like that. If you want that warm, luscious, boosted in just the right places bass, the ADs will not be the right choice. They are instead the counterpoint to the above mentioned. They go low, low, low with authority, but quickly, and without the added presence or boost.

Also, for those of us that heard the beta units - the near final version is "better". Mostly the "better" is an added clarity across the range.

And for the record - I also fell in love with the ADs, and will follow the MD upgrade path.

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #302 of 9,071
I heard the Alpha Dogs today at the Cal Audio Show and will definitely be doing the upgrade when that's available. Tighter and faster than the Mad Digs with no mid bass bump. I loved them.

Dan said the cable connectors are proprietary. I was sort of wishing they used an already existing connector but can live with it.

Dan is super nice, btw, for those who have not met him yet.

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #303 of 9,071
Personally like the sound of the white ADs, one of the earlier prototypes not the official painted one.  Nevertheless, both were impressive.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #304 of 9,071
Quote:
Balanced cables are for balanced amps that (simplified explanation) have everything duplicated and separated for left and right sides.  If you don't have a balanced amp, you don't need a balanced cable.

1/4 inch is the size of plug used for headphones on "stereo receivers" and some desktop headphone amps.

iPods, iPads, etc and portable headphone amps use a smaller size plug ( 3/8 inch IIRC ), and a lot of equipment provides adaptors for the size they do not use.

I figured most of that, just wondering if one was better than the other sound wise. 
Thanks.

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #305 of 9,071
Quote:
Are the cables detachable? If so, what pins do they use?

Yes.  We use the SN-8-4(P) from e-valueconn.

Left connector
1  L+
2  L-  (Gnd for single ended)

Right connector
3  R+
4 R- (Gnd for single ended)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 11, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #306 of 9,071
Quote:
I figured most of that, just wondering if one was better than the other sound wise. 
Thanks.

The cables are the same except for the wiring.  The difference will really depend on the choice of amp.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 11, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #307 of 9,071
Quote:

The cables are the same except for the wiring.  The difference will really depend on the choice of amp.

In your personal opinion whats the sweet spot, rig wise, for these headphones. Will these guys open up even more on the bottom end with a good tube amp?

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #308 of 9,071
Quote:

Yes.  We use the SN-8-4(P) from e-valueconn.

Left connector
1  L+
2  L-  (Gnd for single ended)

Right connector
3  R+
4 R- (Gnd for single ended)

Are we able to purchase these somewhere so we can make extra cables etc?

beerchug.gif

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #309 of 9,071
WOW,
god,
it is bad to visit head-fi.
After coming back for several min seeing people  Mentioned " Closed HD800"
I am sold!

I just placed an order for one!!
Hope it will match my Bryston BHA-1 nicely.

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #310 of 9,071
A/B comparison to Paradox needed! Detachable cables and 3D printed cups of AD are cool, but IMO they don't look as good as custom painted paradox, so, if there;s no big difference in sound between them, there's no need in AD if one have already bought paradox... At least some measurements of AD would be nice!

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #311 of 9,071
Custom-made headphones using 3D printing...

I wonder if CIEMs could be 3D-printed? Shell costs go down, down, down. Re-shelling will be cheaper and easier.

I am still waiting for the younger set to connect the dots between no jobs, low pay and massive college debt, and the low cost of the goods they crave to buy.

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #313 of 9,071
http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21583238-new-low-cost-way-making-things-print-me-head-alfredo-garcia

i am reading up on whats 3D printing...gonna print myself a PUPPY !! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #315 of 9,071
Quote:
I am still waiting for the younger set to connect the dots between no jobs, low pay and massive college debt, and the low cost of the goods they crave to buy.

Maybe it is you that can't join your own dots.  Technology has been improving production methods since the dark ages.  Computers will make everyone unemployed?  It will simply lead to a change of occupations, different jobs.  Are you still thinking about the good old days -what were they called? -oh yeah- the depression.  Where is a good war when you need one.

Lorspeaker, let us know how the puppy turns out.    Americans will be able to print themselves a new gun, that will keep the metal detectors challenged.

Sorry to continue with the thread disruption - Back to your usual topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back