MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Aug 9, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #166 of 9,071
Quote:
Sorry, no we won't provide that info. What I shared earlier is as much as we can disclose. Much work goes into selecting the right material so this process produces quality durable product. You need the right printers, the right plastic and the right post-print processing. This took a lot of work for us to get right...

Fair enough.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #167 of 9,071
I was fortunate enough to be part of the beta test of the Alpha Dog and I want to take this opportunity to thank Dan for including me in such a great experience. Since I live so close to Mrspeakers offices, I was invited to "hear something". When I first glanced at my PMs, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. Even after talking to Dan through PMs for a while - I still was completely bareass until I stepped into his offices. I was thinking to myself, maybe Mrspeakers was testing out a prototype AMP? DAC? That would be awesome. Dan has the knowledge and the knowhow to make something even better than the MD, so why not right? Well, to my surprise it was what is now called the Alpha Dogs. At the time they didn't have a name (or maybe I never asked, can't remember) but they look incredible. Dan took the time to explain some of the nuances and construction of the 3D Printed cups. I was dumbfounded by how exquisite the cups looked. They were still in prototype form (red and white) but they looked sleeker and cleaner than the clunky stock T50RP cups. 

I listened to a variety of tracks through Dan's stack (AK100/PB2 stack). It wasn't music I'm very familiar with, but enough so that I could give some brief impression of what I heard. I wish I had days like a few of the other beta testers, but sadly I could not. Nonetheless, I left with a smile on outside, and a sad face on the inside because I was about to spend more money. I thought I was done buying headphones for a while, but it seems that Head-Fi plagues all of us with a never ending round-about of headphone goodness.

The first area I felt was improved was the comfort. Even though the AD is slightly heavier, they actually felt lighter on the head. I believe Dan said the added comfort is a result of the sleeker more optimized cups and the new ring mechanism that he developed for the Alpha pads. He showed me the ring that the Alpha pads slip around and it truly makes for an easy way to swap pads if the user so chooses. I've had my share of problems with swapping pads in the past and this is by far the easiest it has been. Kudos to Dan for creating a mechanism that makes swapping pads easy. I'm sure many modders, etc. will be happy for the improvement. Another improvement I experienced immediately was the new cable connectors. My pair of MD 3.2 is still the standard configuration that requires the right-angle connector, and for those owners that like to upgrade to aftermarket cables, it was somewhat of a pain. Although I'm not completely enthusiastic about the angle of the connectors (similar angle to the Audeze offerings), but I do like how they are now easily swappable and popular enough configuration to have no problem finding a suitable replacement.

So how did they sound? Well, I may not be experienced as some of the beta testers, but I do know what I like and have a firm grasp of what I don't like. I can safely say that I came out of the listening session with a new feeling about closed, full isolating headphones. The AD not only isolated just as well as the MD, but after hearing it I'm still amazed at how open these closed headphones sound. They retain all that is good about the MD, and improve on those things that were somewhat lacking. I'm talking about the slight congested sound, smallish soundstage (in comparison to all headphones), and the of course the lack of air. The AD almost sounds like a completely different headphone, and dare I say closer to the technical prowess of the HD800 than remaining the same MD. Not to put down the MD, but it was clearly not as technically proficient as any of TOTL offerings.

What really boggled my mind was how open and airy these closed headphones sounded. The soundstage is wider, and a tad deeper, and the imaging is more accurate. Instruments, especially piano and violin were very impressive. The natural timbre of this headphone is only bested by a select few that are x2, x3, even x4 times the cost. Vocals were also very natural and realistic, and never sounded harsh. The neutral-like sound signature of the AD helps with more complex music and definitely is a step up from the MD for those that listen to classical, orchestra, etc. -esque genres. As some of the testers have said already, these headphones are incredibly fast. This area in the headphone market is very sparse and not very many headphones have me grooving and air drumming to the beat, but these had me going wild. I've heard a few of the Audio-Technica ADXXXX variants and these remind me of the speed of those headphones.

The general sound signature of this headphone is quite neutral. This is something that can be loved or hated. Some people may find the AD to be too "bland" for their tastes; others will be jumping for joy for something that is truly reference. Reference, in my mind, is something that can be used in a recording studio to mix/master music. It is a sound that has no emphasis anywhere in the spectrum and lays out the layers of music very well. While not being quite (and I do mean quite) there at the HD800 level, at half the price, Dan has something seriously game changing here. The AD is a woman you can marry and have a nice life with (kids... white picket fence... whole nine). I truly believe Dan has something special here that will really turn heads. I hope the fat cats out there in the headphone industry are reading this thread because they should be pissing their pants. This should scare them, because I think this headphone will become The Reference for many, especially those that are on a budget. I want to thank Dan again for the listen and I hope him the best with this venture and future ones.

I encourage everyone that has heard the MD and is looking for that extra push to go out and try these. If you can’t, take the plunge, they are definitely worth their asking price and then some.

Disclaimer: These impressions are obviously in my opinion. YMMV

Viva la Mrspeakers!

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #168 of 9,071
Quote:
What do you mean ? Because considering your own graphs about the paradox it would be hard to make a more neutral headphone

I was speaking in relative terms comparing both headphones using my ears since I don't have measurements of the AD; and also since I generally don't like to post measurements here much anymore because folks on HF tend to get weirded out over them, take them too seriously, don't understand that they are but one of many tools, or use them selectively to make odd arguments.

BTW, measurement of latest Paradox iteration (using revised methodology / new measurement rig which I will be using going forward):

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #169 of 9,071
Curious the additional mods and variants that will derive from this AD.  Seems like the sweet spot might even be a few revs down the road. 

More importantly I am curious as to how these compare to my current T1 and T5p headphones.  Better/worse/indifferent?  Driving from a HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp at home and a WA7 at work.  Currently I use the T5p at work since they are closed and the T1 at home for better sound and comfort. I'm not really cost sensitive but don't need another pair of something for less unless it can top what I already got. I would also prefer a single fixed light weight cable version since I have no interest in connectors and prefer light weight, comfort, and on/off convenience.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #170 of 9,071
Forgive my ignorance, but with the single ended 1/4" cable does that mean single entry or double on the cups? I've seen several cables marketed as single ended where one end is single but dual on the other. I imagine the ADs will come with openings on both cups to keep costs down; machining only one cup that can be used on both sides. Just curious about the possibility of using my existing cables with it, or if this will be dual entry even when not using the balanced option.

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #171 of 9,071
More neutral than the Paradox, eh? Okay Dan, you've got my attention :wink:

I do wish there was at least an option for black as a color though... can't say I'm loving the purple-y color much. I know that having a lot of colors wouldn't be feasible from a cost or manufacturing perspective, but is there any possibility that we'll see a less, uh, fruity color option available? Cherry red would be great, black, heck even a dark grey would work, couple of shades of blue would work... Something besides "claret" would be great!!

A minor nitpick, ultimately. Sounds like a great headphone, and I'm looking forward to the in-depth reviews as they roll in on these!

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #173 of 9,071
I find it interesting that the original MD often got cited for having similar qualities to the lcd2. Now the AD keeps getting mentioned in the same breath as the HD800. Hmmm...interesting indeed. 

Can't help you on the question though, I've yet to hear the HD800. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #174 of 9,071
Quote:
Heard this at CAS4 this morning... and I largely concur with Judes impressions from the video. Something amazing, various listeners compared parts of its presentation favorably vs that of the Abyss a few tables over.

Oh boy, first kid on the block to mention the A word.
biggrin.gif

Things are about to turn a whole new shade of interesting
wink_face.gif

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #175 of 9,071
I was also in Dan's beta group.  I had the opportunity to test it paired with a Decware Taboo, Cavalli Liquid Glass, and my speaker amp (a modified Dynaco ST-70).  Compared against the MD 3.2 protos, my HE-6, and my HD800's.  They really were wonderful.  I'll try to post more as I have the time, but suffice to say that while I had things I found better about the HE-6 and HD800, these were far from being a slouch.  Without playing with the bass control, I couldn't say whether or not these could satisfy the big time bass fans.  However, they fit quite wonderfully in line with my preferences.

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #176 of 9,071
I've been interested in the Mad Dogs and trying to catch-up on that massive thread. Now the Alpha Dogs come along. I see a comparison done between the two and there doesn't that much between the two. The exception seems to be the stage - much wider. Is this worth the up-grade?

Steve

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #177 of 9,071
Dan had asked me to offer some feedback and this is an edit of what I thought. I do own the paradox but did not do any specific comparative listening, neither did I compare it to the Abyss or KSC75

gear 1. - high res digital - balanced to LAu - balanced cable out
2. CD single ended to LG - single ended out

Appearance:
Shape of new cups is very slick - they had not yet been painted . 
Connectors are much sturdier feeling than than mini xlr  
Pads - they are very snug, i personally prefer more space but i understand they play an important role in the sound presentation and have been custom made to achieve the isolation they offer. 

Comfort:
actually very comfortable , weight well distributed, Tight clamping force but not uncomfortable even after quite a session this evening. Internal pad volume is small , this probably contributes to a narrower soundstage/soundfield. 
leather headband really makes a difference, no ache on the top of the head as with stock T50rp

Sound:
Initial listen  - just flicking through several favourites = very pleasant , nothing stood out as offensive, good detail and the most balanced bass I have heard on the MDs. 

More critical listening:
Again very pleasant to listen to. The following is real nitpicking for your feedback Dan - take it with a pinch of salt. 

Bass. Good weight and sense of layering, never overwhelming and I feel this has better balance than the MDs you had at ChiUniFi. Some of the subtle upper bass / lower mid layering is lost  - probably due to a slight bump in mid presentation. Never congested, but not as detailed/layered as I am accustomed to hearing. 

Mids: I feel the mids are a little forward with a very slight upper mid etch. Really nothing to write home about and it gives a sharp horn blow a bit of bite. Unfortunately some piano keys are also a little on the sharp side but never wincingly so. Just settling into the music , the overall impression is a fairly even frequency response. It is just when you choose music to emphasize certain traits that it sticks out. My impression is that there is a wide , inoffensive hump at about 3K. No ringing and non of the funky mid troubles that the stock T50rp have. 

Highs: great detail and separation, not as much air but very focused.

soundstage: very good and realistic but not as wide as either of the other T50rps I have. I suspected this while listening, it never sounded narrow or cramped, but it did not sound as wide as the paradox or RDs modded T50, so I pulled them out when I was done just to confirm my impression. 

just to finish up , i ran the stereophile test disc and noted the following
 - there appears to be a 125Hz resonance with pure tone : I do not hear any evidence with music
 - frequency sweep , remarkably smooth . I do hear a little more prominence 2K-4K and again at  8K ( the slight mid prominence I heard with music but I didn't hear any offensive representation at that higher 8K point.  )

My take : a job well done. I don't think I would really want to change anything with the way these headphones are voiced. I think they will appeal to a wide audience and offer remarkable performance for a closed headphone. 

bear in mind that these were preproduction impressions and Dan was still tweaking things , I did not play with the bass adjustment which was not the same screw mechanism as in the final version. 

..dB

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #178 of 9,071
Quote:
More neutral than the Paradox, eh? Okay Dan, you've got my attention :wink:

I do wish there was at least an option for black as a color though... can't say I'm loving the purple-y color much. I know that having a lot of colors wouldn't be feasible from a cost or manufacturing perspective, but is there any possibility that we'll see a less, uh, fruity color option available? Cherry red would be great, black, heck even a dark grey would work, couple of shades of blue would work... Something besides "claret" would be great!!

A minor nitpick, ultimately. Sounds like a great headphone, and I'm looking forward to the in-depth reviews as they roll in on these!

Purple color? I'm getting more of a darker burgundy. Maybe it's a difference in monitors. I agree though about other possible color options. While I like the color shown on the website, a simple black would have my attention. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #179 of 9,071
Interesting observations, dBel, especially on the soundstage front. We needed at least a little criticism to calm us down and keep us from a happiness riot in this thread.

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #180 of 9,071
I'm anxious to get these to go along side my Paradox... Let's just say the Paradox aren't anywhere near as good as the main headphones I own and have been through!

Anxious to hear these in the next couple weeks 
biggrin.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back