MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Sep 2, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #7,876 of 9,071
  Instead of an open headphone and/or re-hashing more T50RP driver usage, I'd prefer a new design, new drivers, etc... (I basically think we have heard the limit of those Fostex drivers and anything else that might be squeezed will be minimal).

So come on Dan! :wink:

I think that this is very interesting, but in a different thread.  Seems like finding a driver that is an improvement over the T50RP driver is the most important part of the equation, as the 3D printing for the cup appears to give Dan a lot of flexibility in the cup design.

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #7,877 of 9,071
the question is what is the basic sound signature required from a different diver type and what tuning would we want from Dan
so do we want better more defined sound stage and do we want more detailed mids and highs or more forgiving with poor source files. I suppose the question is what is missing from the AD ? what would make them more much better ?

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #7,878 of 9,071
Here's my opinion:  Dan should just keep doing whatever he wants to do.  He'd go both crazy and broke trying to create custom sounding headphones for users.  If you like what he creates, use it.  If you don't there are about a half million other options in the world.

Sep 3, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #7,879 of 9,071
  Here's my opinion:  Dan should just keep doing whatever he wants to do.  He'd go both crazy and broke trying to create custom sounding headphones for users.  If you like what he creates, use it.  If you don't there are about a half million other options in the world.

HA-LAY-LU-YAH!  

No disrespect but this is the Alpha Dog thread.  I don't mind being a little off topic if it has something to do with the AD like cables, amps, DAPs, sources, music...blah blah.  Lets not imagine what Dan can do.

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #7,880 of 9,071

HA-LAY-LU-YAH!  

No disrespect but this is the Alpha Dog thread.  I don't mind being a little off topic if it has something to do with the AD like cables, amps, DAPs, sources, music...blah blah.  Lets not imagine what Dan can do.

:D because of the AD I no longer have any urges to spend more money on headphones. But now I keep asking myself if I need a portable setup so I can hear my AD in the library and not just at home...

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #7,882 of 9,071
  Using FiiO X5 with the AD it works well, however needs a little bit more power going to test FiiO E12 to see if that gives a better result

Very nice. I am looking for the most affordable portable amp/DAC combo that can put out power like my stationary amp.

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #7,883 of 9,071
AD can deliver so better the DAP the better the result so the X5 ($350)  was the best i could afford (AK 240 $2500), however, form the FiiO E12 ($150) thread I understood that the cheaper X3 ($200)  is very close to SQ and then you can spend a little more on the amp. I dont have much choice in Dubai and FiiO was the only product that I could test and I found it to be tuneful enough for me to buy. 

Sep 4, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #7,884 of 9,071
I can report that the iFi micro iDSD works great with the Alpha Dog. The very slight bass boost and crossfeed work well with the AD if you want to make it just a little more "fun."

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #7,885 of 9,071
  I can report that the iFi micro iDSD works great with the Alpha Dog. The very slight bass boost and crossfeed work well with the AD if you want to make it just a little more "fun."

wow that's what I need to hear!!!! I think it is going to be a tough choice between the new Centrance mini-M8 and the iFi micro iDSD as they both are DSD compatible and DAC/amp combos in the same price range

Sep 5, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #7,886 of 9,071
Hi ! I'm looking for an upgrade of my moded T50rp (own mod) and the Alpha Dog may be the one :D the other competitor is the ZMF x Vibro.

Therefore I'm interested in a comparison between AD and ZxV  in their lastet version  
beerchug.gif

I've seen that hans030390 and HarleyZH have made some reviews but (correct me if I'm wrong) not with the latest version of each headphone 
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #7,887 of 9,071
I have the latest version of both on hand. Working on my review still. It will be pretty thorough and might take a couple weeks to post on here (early details can be found elsewhere in a less organized and compiled fashion, PM me if interested). I keep hitting random delays.

Let me try to sum it up, though. Both have a similar bass boost below 100Hz. Aside from that, AD is a bit more neutral with a wider soundstage but has a sort of hard glare and artificial sound to it. Usually this can be tweaked with the dots and felt discs, but it either doesn't go away completely or the tweaks take it too far. Probably not a problem for most listeners. The ZxF is a touch darker, not by much, but has more of an organic, natural, lush sound to it. ZxF has arguably better tonality in my mind. I found the latter to be more enjoyable and better "connected" me with the music, but it's hard to go wrong with either and comes down to personal tastes. (ZxF is pretty hard to put down once you get into them, IMO...perhaps not neutral, but a really good, enjoyable listening experience.)

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #7,888 of 9,071
Thanks a lot for this review ! I'm eager to read the full story as you almost convinced me for a go with the ZMF x  Vibro ! 
beerchug.gif

(ZxF is pretty hard to put down once you get into them, IMO...perhaps not neutral, but a really good, enjoyable listening experience.)

That's exactly the feeling I'm looking for !

I'm wondering if Zach will continue to update his mod 
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #7,889 of 9,071
  Thanks a lot for this review ! I'm eager to read the full story as you almost convinced me for a go with the ZMF x  Vibro ! 
beerchug.gif

That's exactly the feeling I'm looking for !

I'm wondering if Zach will continue to update his mod 
biggrin.gif

You can't go wrong with either. I was in the same position as you and went with the Alpha Dogs. Why?

Because they have been out longer which means more revisions to get the best sounding headphones and not to mention ZMF Vibros even use the MrSpeakers pads made for the Alpha Dogs themselves. The Vibros are cheaper by $75 though. Either or, there going to sound very similar since they use the same drivers and probably similar tweaks.

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #7,890 of 9,071
More revisions or time on the market doesn't necessarily equate to a guaranteed better sound. And the alpha pads are just a really good pad for any T50RP mod (assuming you're tuning for them, obviously), simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back