MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Jul 14, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #7,592 of 9,071
As I told you in PM, the Alpha Dogs caused me to relegate my HD650's to a closet in storage.  :darthsmile:
yes now that I have the alpha dogs, I only use my beyerdynamic dt 880 600 ohm cans, for taking walks at night.

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #7,593 of 9,071
I saw that the MrSpeakers site gives the lead time as 4 days now, is that still accurate?

A lot of people must have the Alpha Dog by now but I haven't seen many impressions.

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #7,594 of 9,071
Reddog, I just got my AD's Saturday, tell me more about your experience with the Alpha Dogs, Lyr 2. What are you using as a source, what tubes in your Lyr, types of music, any recommendations on any music you have really enjoyed?

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #7,595 of 9,071
I just had a short, but interesting listen to the Alpha Dogs.  I was listening the "Lock Howl" off of the Storm Corrosion Blu-Ray on my main speaker system (Ohm Micro Walsh Talls with an Emotiva sub).  This is definitely an inexpensive but exquisite set-up that has amazing detail and soundstage.  Anyway, I was listening to the DTS-Master mix, and said to myself, "It's too bad my headphones can't sound this good."

I stopped the track, put the Alpha's on, and played it again.  I still under-estimate these headphones, even though I've had them since the first batch went out late last year.  True, they can't compete to the open, room-filling sound of omni directional speakers like the Ohm's, but then again, nothing can.

But it was all there- the soundstage, the detail, the sound of the pick on the strings of the guitar.  Even the imaging was spot-on (for a headphone).

Anyway, I am expecting the Grado GS1000 e's tomorrow, and I'm on the tour for the Hifiman HE-560's, which are due to me in about 3 weeks.  I'm going to put the Alpha's against both of these high-end cans, and write an review/comparison.  I notice there aren't very many reviews for these so far, and it's time I added my 2 cents.

Here's a link to the song, if anyone's interested:

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #7,596 of 9,071
Reddog, I just got my AD's Saturday, tell me more about your experience with the Alpha Dogs, Lyr 2. WhHelat are you using as a source, what tubes in your Lyr, types of music, any recommendations on any music you have really enjoyed?
Hello I have had my AD's for about 3 weeks now. I figured d they are a superb headphone, the sound seems to effortlessly to project into your head. The sound is lush, vibrant. The level of detail is amazing and they seem pretty transparent to my ears. The treble is perfect, seems to compliment the sound. Furthermore the bass is great, it's there but not overwhelming. Overall the sound is neutral and that is what I desire out of a set of cans.
I am using stock tubes for now, and after 80 to 100 hours of burn in, the soundstage seemed to open up and the overall signature sound seemed more lush, the midrange seemed to open up. The highs seemed smoother, more pronounced. My course is a old Kenwood cd player, which goes into my pioneer Reciever/ dac 24 bit to 192 , then my lyr 2. I am hoping to get a better schiit audio dac ( either the Gungnir or the Uber Bifrost),but for now my system sounds great I have listened to Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Tchaikovsky, Frank Zappa, Led Zepplin, Eric Clapton, Sex Pistols, Vangelis, Tomita, Moody Blues, Uriha Heep, Dave Brubeck, Thelonious Munk, John Coltrain, Charles Mingus, Pink Floyd, Negativeland, and bunch or pirate chants and stuff. I really enjoyed Chesky's The Ultimate Demonstration Disc.
P.s I plan on getting a computer to replace my o l d workhorse. Please have a goodnight and happy listening.

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #7,597 of 9,071
Hello I have had my AD's for about 3 weeks now. I figured d they are a superb headphone, the sound seems to effortlessly to project into your head. The sound is lush, vibrant. The level of detail is amazing and they seem pretty transparent to my ears. The treble is perfect, seems to compliment the sound. Furthermore the bass is great, it's there but not overwhelming. Overall the sound is neutral and that is what I desire out of a set of cans.
I am using stock tubes for now, and after 80 to 100 hours of burn in, the soundstage seemed to open up and the overall signature sound seemed more lush, the midrange seemed to open up. The highs seemed smoother, more pronounced. My course is a old Kenwood cd player, which goes into my pioneer Reciever/ dac 24 bit to 192 , then my lyr 2. I am hoping to get a better schiit audio dac ( either the Gungnir or the Uber Bifrost),but for now my system sounds great I have listened to Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Tchaikovsky, Frank Zappa, Led Zepplin, Eric Clapton, Sex Pistols, Vangelis, Tomita, Moody Blues, Uriha Heep, Dave Brubeck, Thelonious Munk, John Coltrain, Charles Mingus, Pink Floyd, Negativeland, and bunch or pirate chants and stuff. I really enjoyed Chesky's The Ultimate Demonstration Disc.
P.s I plan on getting a computer to replace my o l d workhorse. Please have a goodnight and happy listening.

Tomita? Uriah Heep?

Dude, that's like my infinite playlist!

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #7,598 of 9,071
SWSPIERS, the comparison you mentioned -- the Alpha Dogs with the HD560 and the Grado -- would be very very interesting.  Of course, the HD560 and the Grados are open headphones and would likely have a more open sound, but it will be very interesting to see how they compare in other ways.  Look forward to your review.

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #7,599 of 9,071
I like the older stuff lol.

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #7,600 of 9,071
I saw that the MrSpeakers site gives the lead time as 4 days now, is that still accurate?

A lot of people must have the Alpha Dog by now but I haven't seen many impressions.
I got my Alpha Dogs within 3 days of ordering them.

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #7,601 of 9,071
I just had a short, but interesting listen to the Alpha Dogs.  I was listening the "Lock Howl" off of the Storm Corrosion Blu-Ray on my main speaker system (Ohm Micro Walsh Talls with an Emotiva sub).  This is definitely an inexpensive but exquisite set-up that has amazing detail and soundstage.  Anyway, I was listening to the DTS-Master mix, and said to myself, "It's too bad my headphones can't sound this good."

I stopped the track, put the Alpha's on, and played it again.  I still under-estimate these headphones, even though I've had them since the first batch went out late last year.  True, they can't compete to the open, room-filling sound of omni directional speakers like the Ohm's, but then again, nothing can.

But it was all there- the soundstage, the detail, the sound of the pick on the strings of the guitar.  Even the imaging was spot-on (for a headphone).

Anyway, I am expecting the Grado GS1000 e's tomorrow, and I'm on the tour for the Hifiman HE-560's, which are due to me in about 3 weeks.  I'm going to put the Alpha's against both of these high-end cans, and write an review/comparison.  I notice there aren't very many reviews for these so far, and it's time I added my 2 cents.

Here's a link to the song, if anyone's interested:

A interesting group Storm Corrosion, thanks for sharing :)

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #7,602 of 9,071
^^Storm Corrosion, Reddog, thanks guys, RD-also listen to a lot of classic rock, classical and jazz, I love Thelonious Monk! I will wait till I get some more experience before I write anything definitive, but Man the Lyr 2/Alpha Dog combination is magic! CS- I am also on the list for the traveling HE560's, think I am in the 4 or 5 slot for the East list. We will need to compare notes, I have also read that the Lyr/560 combination excells.

Have a great night!

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #7,604 of 9,071
+1, ordered, shipped next day, here (Kentucky) in 3 days.

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #7,605 of 9,071
Listening to Eric Claptons Rainbow Concert, had the 8 Track along time ago, on a distant planet, and it is sounding wonderful through the 'Dogs. I know it's become cliché, but I am hearing new things throughout my collection, a flute in the John Mellancamp mix, a percussion instrument unheard before of this disc, I am loving these HP's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back