MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Dec 13, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #4,471 of 9,071
Just FYI, here is the only good report from someone who has tried messing with the bass setting screw:

Quote:
@Change - While I can share some similar frustration on different occasions, I think it is unfair for you or anyone to ask an owner to play with the set screw. Dan himself has stated that it is not something that should be adjusted often or per mood. I can't speak for anyone else that has had or have the AD, but I'm not willing to risk the fit and finish of these headphones to address something that clearly isn't going to satisfy bassheads. I've turned the screw on my set gently and I can tell you that if you are looking for Denon/Fostex type bass, you aren't going to get it. If you are looking for an upgrade to the MD in terms of bass, I can tell you the bass is not as warm. It doesn't have that bloom, but it still remains just as impactful and even better extended. When I turned the screw I could detect an increase in the midbass, but there was a trade off. The bass was less controlled and I could hear some bleeding. Personally I think the set screw at default position is good for the most genres. This headphone should never be considered warm or bass heavy. I'm a bit disappointed with the screw to be honest. It doesn't do much in terms of make the sound more "fun". What I found is that you lose a lot of what this headphone does good when you mess with it. 

So, I'm leaving my bass setting screw alone... but I have been playing with the Jriver MediaCenter EQ & Parametric EQ, just to get an idea of what it would take, with EQ, to get the Alpha Dog bass to be more like the Mad Dog - and what would be the down side.... still experimenting, but I will report back...

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #4,473 of 9,071
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 13, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #4,474 of 9,071
  In theory, it ought not to change the response of the frequencies above the bass, except (as I mentioned) relative to the bass (i.e. the whole mid-and-treble will be down as a whole, relative to the bass).

However, you are changing things inside a closed acoustic space, so it is possible that there could be unanticipated effects.

This is where MrSpeakers might be able to shed some light, of course.

Actually, there will certainly be some "spillover" into the lower midrange from any bass boost.  It's just a question of how much and whether it will be enough to be audible.  The amount of the spillover is dependent upon the slope of the boost, i.e., how fast the additional bass rolls off. There is not a sharp cutoff where bass ends and midrange begins, it is a curve which rolls off gradually, or more quickly, depending on the slope. In a similar manner, that's why subwoofers always impact the midrange (or lower midrange) to some degree.  The bass boost might, e.g., still provide emphasis into the midrange as high as 300 Hz, or even higher.

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #4,475 of 9,071

In theory, it ought not to change the response of the frequencies above the bass, except (as I mentioned) relative to the bass (i.e. the whole mid-and-treble will be down as a whole, relative to the bass).

However, you are changing things inside a closed acoustic space, so it is possible that there could be unanticipated effects.

This is where MrSpeakers might be able to shed some light, of course.

Actually, there will certainly be some "spillover" into the lower midrange from any bass boost.  It's just a question of how much and whether it will be enough to be audible.  The amount of the spillover is dependent upon the slope of the boost, i.e., how fast the additional bass rolls off. There is not a sharp cutoff where bass ends and midrange begins, it is a curve which rolls off gradually, or more quickly, depending on the slope. In a similar manner, that's why subwoofers always impact the midrange (or lower midrange) to some degree.  The bass boost might, e.g., still provide emphasis into the midrange as high as 300 Hz, or even higher.

That would certainly happen with a Bass EQ.

However, IIRC a bass port would affect mostly just the bass.  It's unclear to what extent the screw is a bass port, though...

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #4,477 of 9,071
  Does anyone know adjusting the bass on the Alpha Dogs how effect the mids and highs?

It will most likely effect the mids and as someone said it would start to bleed over, the bass would get wooly no longer being as tight and controlled.  The highs are a different story.  The highs should remain the same thus creating a "U" shape, it would seem as both the highs and the bass are emphasized and the mids then become recessed.

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #4,478 of 9,071
  That would certainly happen with a Bass EQ.

However, IIRC a bass port would affect mostly just the bass.  It's unclear to what extent the screw is a bass port, though...

There is no port action in the vent, it's really about loading the driver to optimize time and frequency domain...  Generally a single turn clockwise will increase or decrease bass +/- 2dB below 150Hz. 

I have heard people using it both ways, so to me I hope that augurs most people find it about right where it is.  But feedback is always welcome, even a PM for those who don't post.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 15, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #4,479 of 9,071

It will most likely effect the mids and as someone said it would start to bleed over, the bass would get wooly no longer being as tight and controlled.  The highs are a different story.  The highs should remain the same thus creating a "U" shape, it would seem as both the highs and the bass are emphasized and the mids then become recessed.

I see, so I shouldn't adjust the bass at all. Thanks!

Dec 15, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #4,482 of 9,071
I can only think of one reason to be excited. Makes Great sounding headphones dirt cheap. I cant think of any other reason why anyone would give a crap other than that reason alone.
Seriously 600.00 WHO CARES. If they where in the 150.0 price range with sound signature of say a HE 500 which are similarly priced then HELL YEAH.

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #4,483 of 9,071
I can only think of one reason to be excited. Makes Great sounding headphones dirt cheap. I cant think of any other reason why anyone would give a crap other than that reason alone.
Seriously 600.00 WHO CARES. If they where in the 150.0 price range with sound signature of say a HE 500 which are similarly priced then HELL YEAH.

blink.gif

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #4,484 of 9,071

Because they are $1,200 cans for $600.  Similar sound signature to the HE-6 according to:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/mrspeakers/1.html

Also they are closed not open.  I have not heard of any other closed cans with equivalent sound quality at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back