MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Dec 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #4,426 of 9,071
I dunno,

May be the Alpha Dogs are so darn good, people have to find something else to complain and argue about...

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #4,427 of 9,071

I would tend to agree about these specific examples.

But my point is that your reasoning has nothing to do with price.  (The same reasoning applies to phone lines and DSL - changing the 10 feet in your house doesn't affect the 2 miles to the Central Office.)   So, the power cord could be $130 rather than $1300 and still be overpriced.

It's not the price that indicates whether something works or not.

How about keeping this thread focused on Alpha Dogs and not starting an extraneous debate about power cords or other cables.

The discussion is about whether or not cables should be offered for the Alpha Dogs, that is why the discussion occurred in this thread.  (Power cables and HD-800s were examples.) Paraphrase:

A member thought that Dan should not endorse cables, that cost significant amounts of money, because that would reduce his credibility.

I was responding that it is not the price that was important, but whether the cable actually provided a benefit to the customers.

Dan mentioned that he was not going to endorse any particular cables.

Seems all on-topic to me - as long as it doesn't go anywhere else.

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #4,428 of 9,071
  The discussion is about whether or not cables should be offered for the Alpha Dogs, that is why the discussion occurred in this thread.  (Power cables and HD-800s were examples.) Paraphrase:

A member thought that Dan should not endorse cables, that cost significant amounts of money, because that would reduce his credibility.

I was responding that it is not the price that was important, but whether the cable actually provided a benefit to the customers.

Dan mentioned that he was not going to endorse any particular cables.

Seems all on-topic to me - as long as it doesn't go anywhere else.

IMO, the focus was clearly shifted to a discussion about cables, as Dan himself diplomatically and correctly pointed out.  

You stated above that you tended to agree about certain specific examples which were contentious in nature relating to the sonic merits of power and other cables, thus shifting the focus of the thread, which is about AD not cables.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #4,429 of 9,071

But my point is that your reasoning has nothing to do with price. 

Wow, the point of my rebuttal to your comment, was because you failed to understand my reasoning. The rest of your post demonstrates that you still do.

Anyway, back to AD's... and the lack of much about the AD's to talk about.

We are at page 296 of a headphone that is produced in very low volume. It would be awesome if we had daily news, but we don't. Reason would dictate that you just don't post if you have nothing on-topic to say. However being there is not an AlphaDog forum group where those of us who have been conversing about things that crop up in the Alpha Dog thread can go, I think a few posts here and there that go down a side track doesn't really hurt. Provided it does not become pages and pages of off topic rubbish.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #4,431 of 9,071
  This picture is from the Singapore Head-fi Meet and the Alpha Dog in this picture is so much beautiful.

I was looking at getting that amp on the left. Did you get a chance to listen to the AD's with it? If so, what did they sound like? Here is a link to the amp:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2QKSVI/

I like that it has line out for my speakers as well.

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #4,432 of 9,071
Sorry, I can not help because I do not live in Singapore and this picture is not mine neither but you can find Singapore Head-fi meet and ask your question. My thought is that little amplifier on the left can not drive the Alpha Dog greatly, the amp on the right is much better I think. Anyway for orthos headphones we should use much more powerful amps, even with speaker amps such as an Emotiva Mini X A-100 is good bang for bucks or a DIY Bottlehead S.E.X and other powerful amps.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #4,434 of 9,071
I see, last year when the Sennheiser HD700s came out and there were too many negative and positive head-fiers' reviews them but over the time I think the HD700s have been to the truly real value and performance as they should be. Look like next year HD700s are not going go up to 1k$ anymore. This could be big failure of Sennheiser with the HD700s which are overly hyped by Sennheiser as my thought. However, they are still good headphones but not good for the asking price or I mean over priced.

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #4,440 of 9,071
Interesting olegausany. What's the difference in how the trs and speaker terminals are wired in the sex kit? I assume the signal from the output transformers runs into a switch and then diverges?

I ordered my ADs balanced to drive off the 4 pin xlr of my mainline, but I am also building a xlr to trs adapter. Still a couple weeks of waiting to go though before my ADs are due to ship (hopefully before the holidays).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back