MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Dec 8, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #4,366 of 9,071
Now that the Alpha Dog production is completely up and running, I know it might still be too early to ask...is there even a small chance that in the coming months we could see a couple of cup color options? I can see how great the automotive/metallic red looks on the cups, but I don't think I could help myself not picking up an AD if there was a metallic black version that would complete the "blackout" look. 

Dec 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #4,367 of 9,071

I had the chance to listen to the Alpha Dogs while in Tokyo, and my first thought was that I'd have to spend some time adjusting to their frequency response to get a handle on them, because it was so different compared to what I was used to.

And this begs the question, how long are you wearing the hf before making up your opinion? I find that personally it is a 30 minute process to get my hearing relaxed enough to trust the phone itself. That's 30 minutes with no fiddling or amp changes or cable voodoo or anything else. Less than that time and I wouldn't bother to offer an opinion at all (unless they were diabolically bad out of the box).

Depends whether or not I've been listening with other headphones or speakers immediately beforehand and how long I have. I decided that they are headphones that I really need to sit down for some time to listen to.

Dec 8, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #4,368 of 9,071
  Now that the Alpha Dog production is completely up and running, I know it might still be too early to ask...is there even a small chance that in the coming months we could see a couple of cup color options? I can see how great the automotive/metallic red looks on the cups, but I don't think I could help myself not picking up an AD if there was a metallic black version that would complete the "blackout" look. 

I'm with you, they look nice with their reddish cups but an all black stealth option would look freaking sweet

Depends whether or not I've been listening with other headphones or speakers immediately beforehand and how long I have. I decided that they are headphones that I really need to sit down for some time to listen to.

When i first got mine it took me a good week of close listening to fully get my head around the signature. I also found the sound grew on me more and more as time went on. When you have the chance get yourself one and have a blast my friend, I did.

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #4,369 of 9,071
I would definitely pay an extra $50-$100 for something like a color choice. I would want royal blue.

Could call it the iDog, lol

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #4,372 of 9,071
  I noticed the HD700 on sale today for $650, about the same price as the Alpha Dogs.  Any comparisons?

I was in Best Buy in Minneapolis the other day (one with a Magnolia substore), and listened to the 700's. The woman offered me a deal for $550 and that she would ship them to me (I live in NH), but I had already ordered the Alpha Dogs, so I was not interested.

I took her card though, so if you want to give her a call and see if the offer still stands, just PM me.

EDIT: The other day means last week. She said it was an extended black Friday deal, so that's why I am not sure if today she will still honor the deal. However, Best Buy gets a lot of play in pricing (something a lot of people don't know), so you can usually haggle on price in the stores.

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #4,375 of 9,071
  I noticed the HD700 on sale today for $650, about the same price as the Alpha Dogs.  Any comparisons?

They're $550 at razordogaudio.com with the coupon code RAZORDOG100 right now.

I haven't them, but I suspect it partly comes down to the age old question of open vs. closed.

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #4,376 of 9,071
  love the focus on neutrality and improved treble. Be interesting to see who can compare them to the Paradox, as they seem to have similar goals regarding sound signature.
DlK22p

You're a little late to the party friend. I already did that HERE on my YouTube channel

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #4,379 of 9,071
I don't use HD700 anymore but for me they close to HD800 but with less details but similar soundstage. Alpha Dogs sound totally different and only direct comparison will tell you which signature you want

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #4,380 of 9,071
  I don't use HD700 anymore but for me they close to HD800 but with less details but similar soundstage. Alpha Dogs sound totally different and only direct comparison will tell you which signature you want

Thanks.  Since I prefer the overall listening experience of the Alpha Dogs to the HD800, my curiosity at the tatalizingly low price point for the HD700 has been satisfied based on a similar signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back