1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Aug 9, 2013.
First

Back
574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583
585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594
Next

Last
  1. dorino
    Are upgrades from Mad Dog to Alpha Dog still being done? I've got an email in to MrSpeakers but haven't heard back. I'd like to upgrade my headphones - they're very early Mad Dogs.

Looks like it's still the flat 320. Neat.

2. M3NTAL
    I have a set of Alpha Dogs for sale / trade - I'd be interested in trading for Mad Dog 3.2 or the Pro's - Might make it easier for some people looking to trade-up.

3. Takeanidea
    It's a shame if these phones become a familiar sight on the for sale sections. I wonder if they're being perceived as redundant now the primes are with us and with the pending Ether release.
    I went to a head Fi meet in Cambridge last week and got the opportunity to listen to the Primes and I could have bought them. I found my Alpha Dogs to be a more pleasant sound.
    The Dogs were well received there too. The Primes had a thicker sound whereas the Dogs had a punchier sound. I was surprised that I didn't immediately prefer the sound of the upgraded model but it saved me a lot of money.
    The Alpha Dogs are not ready for the scrap heap just yet.

4. dorino

If it makes you feel any better, there's still people buying them, too. I'm sending my old Mad Dogs in later today for the upgrade.

5. M3NTAL

None of those reasons are why my particular pair are for sale.  I just happened to find the Mad Dog form more convenient for my listening habits. I'd love to find someone with a Mad Dog Pro who wanted to trade for an Alpha Dog.

6. wahsmoh
    I've owned my Alpha Dogs for a year and haven't considered selling them at all. Hell, I appreciated them a whole lot more after I got a vintage R2R DAC that blows away my Bifrost Uber. The sound is amazing.. sure not as fast and dynamic as the Ether which had some visceral sound. But the Alpha Dogs are tonally perfect for me.. they hit all checkpoints from highs, mids, and lows. Sure they aren't as punchy as some dynamics, but they extend lower and aren't as exaggerated but when you put songs that exaggerate bass there is some serious excursion in the bass. 

swspiers likes this.
  7. dorino
    Got my "order complete" email! Woo.

8. Takeanidea

Tell us what you think after you've had a listen. I'm sure you're in for a treat

9. dorino
    I don't doubt it. I was a big fan of the Mad Dog (I think I posted the first review way back when? It turned into the original discussion thread for them) and have high hopes. I've wanted them for a while, but money don't grow on trees.

FedEx [​IMG]

10. dorino
    They got here today!

First impressions: Beautiful. The red color is really pretty. Not too heavy for my head - the leather strap that I'm used to with the Mad Dog is there and it's good and comfortable. I can't get a good seal with a hat on, but that's not a problem. It would have been an unexpected plus.

Cable is less microphonic than I was led to believe. It's not very noisey at all. The ends going up to the cubs are a little noisey, but the cable itself, the stem of the Y, isn't problematic at all. There is a small rubbing sound when you're moving your head. Maybe some day I'll get a perfect cable, but these are definitely going to do. Little shorter than I'd like, but not too short to be a problem with my set up right now.

Seal is very wonderful and easy to achieve. These pads are fantastic. For comparison, I had a very early Mad Dog. Like, very early. Before Dan made his own pads. These things blow the Shure pads that were used back then out of the water. It's really comfy. The Shure pads had a tendency to fall apart. I don't foresee that happening with these pads. Wow, they're comfy. The HD598 is better, comfort-wise, but the Alpha Dog is a lot better than the original Mad Dog.

Included stuff is nice. It's good to get a stand with the headphones. Really nice. Bag's nice to have, too.

Now, I'll listen to some music!

Short listening - these sound like open headphones. They do. I like them a lot. They're less forgiving but very good sounding. I'm going to be happy.

I don't know much more to say about the sound that isn't exactly what's been said. Good all around. I like them a lot. Am I right in thinking they're less bright than the HD598? Hard to say with sighted listening. Less soundstage, but still pretty incredible to me. These really don't sound closed. I'm super impressed! Nothing like the Mad Dogs that this thing on my head were a week ago at all. Less fatigueing, too. Nicer treble. Nicer bass.

I do notice in comparing them to the HD598 that, wow, they're heavier. Actually, no, I think that's misleading. They're not heavy. The HD598, though, is basically a feather. Not in comparison, either, just in general. That thing weighs nothing. These actually weigh something, but not enough to bother me at all.

Not a huge fan of the stand, but I like it more than my classic "styrofoam head" stand because it's not putting any pressure on anything. It fits well on the end table where the Magni/Modi 2 Uber are. The biggest issue is that it's not high enough to leave the cables plugged in, and there's no where to wrap them. I used the carrying bag that came with the headphones to store the cable, and it hangs off the top of the headphone stand, over the side of the end table. It works.

Has anyone had any problems with the headphone cable or the sockets on the cups? Do I need to be extra careful with them, or are they quite durable?

EDIT: And, second day of ownership, I broke it! I managed to snap one of the spacers on the earcups in two being dumb; they were misaligned and I wasn't sure if I could slide them around. Hopefully that isn't too expensive of a fix.

EDIT AGAIN: Spoke to Peter on the phone (he's awesome!) and was told they shouldn't have been misaligned. They'll fix it for free, as a result, and I feel a lot less silly. I'm so pleased with MrSpeakers, as a company. Keep it up!

11. Takeanidea
    Very good description of the Dogs. Did you pick up background hiss on some recordings you don't hear on other phones? The sound is there warts and all

12. dorino
    Not really. I don't listen that loud.

13. dorino
    So, with the discontinuation, will upgrades continue? I assume not. What about support for the now discontinued models?

It's sad to see these headphones I fell in love with going away before I could get the money for an Alpha Prime! I wonder if I'll ever get to try that out? Still, thanks for something like three years of great T50RP mods. I hope I get to follow along with the future, and maybe even afford it!

14. mrspeakers Contributor

Yes

MrSpeakers Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on MrSpeakers at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://www.mrspeakers.com/ info@mrspeakers.com
  15. dorino

So, in spite of the discontinuation, people with a Mad Dog will still be able to upgrade in the near future?

What about pads? I'm sure, in spite of the discontinuation of the relevant T50RP, there's still going to be interest in the Alpha Pads from the modding community... and from owners down the road who need new ones.

First

Back
574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583
585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594
Next

Last