MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Jul 19, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #7,651 of 9,071

They are nice looking cables with quality workmanship, but no mention of the most important thing.......the wire that is used!  I would look for the latest cutting edge technology, Type 4 or Type 6 Litz, It doesn't corrode, and the sound is phenomenal, aka Norne Vanquish, Double Helix Cables!

I believe he uses the same cables MrSpeakers uses for their cables.

The Canare Quad-star which is only at $0.50/foot from Redco.

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #7,652 of 9,071
^Cute, Trevor seems like a very capable designer, readily suggested custom termination solutions so I can use one HP cable single ended and balanced. Great sound would also be a plus. If you had only one other headphone to complement your Alpha Dogs, which would it be and why? Thanks for sharing your experience!

Hmmm I did not know they had custom terminator, so you can use one hp cable for both single ended and in balanced. I shall now definitely get a vanquish cable with the option to use it in single ended or balanced mode. And for the money the alpha dogs are great. Though I would like to check out the He 560 sometime.

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #7,653 of 9,071
Hmmm I did not know they had custom terminator, so you can use one hp cable for both single ended and in balanced. I shall now definitely get a vanquish cable with the option to use it in single ended or balanced mode. And for the money the alpha dogs are great. Though I would like to check out the He 560 sometime.

Email Trevor, he made several suggestions for doing this, I think I am going with the main cable terminating in XLR's, with a short dongle :scream: conte for switching over to a Furtech 1/4".

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #7,654 of 9,071
Thanks for the heads up. Hendrix was a fantastic musical genius, like Mozart or other musical prodigy.
Take care
Reddog.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #7,656 of 9,071
^^Hey Reddog, Electric Ladyland was genius, and it was his first go at production....pretty good start...I found out tonight that "Lite" Stevie Winwood played the organ on Voodo Chile, love the interplay of the Hammond Organ, Hendrix's Guitar and Freddie Smith's Alto Sax is cool, beyond reproach, über classic! Dog, so tell me how you are Likn' your Lyr 2 Alpha Dog pairing?

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #7,657 of 9,071

I remember reading the same thing somewhere else.  Why pay much more for a fancy looking equivalent of Dan's stock cable.

Personally not purchasing one since they are the same material as the stock cable, but to be fair to him, they are actually cheaper than if you purchase the stock cable on the MrSpeakers website. A 6' Alpha Dog cable from MrSpeakers is $90 + shipping, whereas this website is $74 + shipping and you get a little more customization which is cool I guess. Could be useful if you just need a replacement or another termination (given that these are reliable, which I cannot speak to since I do not own a set).

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #7,658 of 9,071
^^Hey Reddog, Electric Ladyland was genius, and it was his first go at production....pretty good start...I found out tonight that "Lite" Stevie Winwood played the organ on Voodo Chile, love the interplay of the Hammond Organ, Hendrix's Guitar and Freddie Smith's Alto Sax is cool, beyond reproach, über classic! Dog, so tell me how you are Likn' your Lyr 2 Alpha Dog pairing?

Hey Wildcatsare1:
I just love my alpha dogs and the lyr 2, the synergy between the two are great. I am hoping to get some tubes for the Lyr 2, probably the telefunken ecc88 from upscale audio. Although I thought I might save some money and get the gold lions and put my money towards getting a good dac like Gungnir. Well have a good night I shall listen to Richie Haben's Freedom at Woodstock. I wish I could had been at that concert, but was too young and my Dad, being a research scientist, to square to ever consider taking the family to such a gathering. He taught me to love jazz and classical :).

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #7,659 of 9,071

Personally not purchasing one since they are the same material as the stock cable, but to be fair to him, they are actually cheaper than if you purchase the stock cable on the MrSpeakers website. A 6' Alpha Dog cable from MrSpeakers is $90 + shipping, whereas this website is $74 + shipping and you get a little more customization which is cool I guess. Could be useful if you just need a replacement or another termination (given that these are reliable, which I cannot speak to since I do not own a set).

In that case, if you like the sound of the stock cable, this is a bargain.  I'm fine with the sound, just don't like the stiffness of the stock.  Stripping the cable and putting it into paracord does help immensely.

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #7,660 of 9,071
In that case, if you like the sound of the stock cable, this is a bargain.  I'm fine with the sound, just don't like the stiffness of the stock.  Stripping the cable and putting it into paracord does help immensely.

Never thought of doing that. Great idea. A fellow head-fier built me one out of some nice flexible wire and Paracord. Mini XLR terminated with adapters for 1/4, XLR4 and 1/8. I'm not one to hear sound differences in cables (Y-wires demo today had me rethinking that), I just wanted a more flexible cable.

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #7,661 of 9,071

They are nice looking cables with quality workmanship, but no mention of the most important thing.......the wire that is used!  I would look for the latest cutting edge technology, Type 4 or Type 6 Litz, It doesn't corrode, and the sound is phenomenal, aka Norne Vanquish, Double Helix Cables!

The Norne Vanquish with the Alpha Dog is absolutely end game performance from top to bottom. It really brings out the best of the Alpha Dog with a more open coherent soundstage, increased detail in high frequency, tighter controlled bass, and it helps them "brighten" up a little bit I thought the Canare stock cable is relatively dark and mid-rangey

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #7,662 of 9,071
The Norne Vanquish with the Alpha Dog is absolutely end game performance from top to bottom. It really brings out the best of the Alpha Dog with a more open coherent soundstage, increased detail in high frequency, tighter controlled bass, and it helps them "brighten" up a little bit I thought the Canare stock cable is relatively dark and mid-rangey

Thank you! I will be calling Trevor in August!

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #7,663 of 9,071
Jul 20, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #7,664 of 9,071
And I thought the ADs weren't known for their bass quantity. I guess the 560s don't have any bass?

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #7,665 of 9,071
No the 560s got plenty of bass.  I remember listening to a buddy's mad dog after using my he-400 for a while.  It felt bass light and I wanted a little more.  When using my 560 after the HE-400 I didn't want any more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back