1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Aug 9, 2013.
First

Back
486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495
497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506
Next

Last
  1. MattTCG
    ^^ It's damned nice tbh...IMO. Very sweet sounding cable and much better ergonomics. Again, I'm not huge on cables transforming sound signature but this was a nice change...my 2c

2. tehsprayer
    I just read that the Modi and Bifrost are very similar but the modi is locked at 24 bit 96 khz and has an older chip but they share similarities. "They almost sound exactly the same"

“On the USB input side, it’s almost exactly the same–asynchronous input, separate crystals for 44.1k and 48k clock multiples, etc–but it’s locked down into USB Audio 1.0 mode. This means its maximum capability is 24 bit/96k. We did this to eliminate the need for drivers on virtually any computer, Windows or Mac. Beyond the USB input side, it’s pretty different. We’re using an AK4396 D/A, rather than Bifrost’s AK4399, so it’s a slightly older chip (but still has a lot of the same qualities as the 4399, such as the switched-capacitor filtering for lower out-of-band noise, and it is one of the best-performing D/As in the world). And instead of Bifrost’s discrete gain stage, we’re using an op-amp for the active filter stage, an AD 8616. The biggest difference, though, is that Modi isn’t upgradable, like Bifrost.” (This is from http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/01/schiit-audio-modi-2496-dac-review/) 

3. TeskR
    I couldn't see where it said they sound the exact same, it only said the USB interface is almost the exact same. I think in that review he actually mentioned a difference between them.

4. mrspeakers Contributor
    They sound pretty different, I have both.

MrSpeakers Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on MrSpeakers at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://www.mrspeakers.com/ info@mrspeakers.com
  5. Byronb
    Yes to me they sound very different from one another.

6. tehsprayer
    What's a solid upgrade to the Modi but with a lower price? Would the odac be similar to bifrost? It just costs over half a grand for USB and uber.

7. greenkiwi
    You might check out the Geek Out... or dragonfly. 

But in this price range I think that you are unlikely to have something that is a major improvement.  Likely just a different sonic signature, with a different set of compromises.

8. vipervick
    Different in which way? I use the Modi/Magni with my Alpha Dogs.

9. sonitus mirus

I just want my DAC to be audibly transparent.  If it's not, I suspect there might be something wrong with it.

Here is a review on the DAC/amp combos.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643368/schiit-modi-and-magni-comparison-to-bifrost-and-asgard

10. Byronb
    At the price point, IMHO there is no upgrade from the Modi. 

11. mrspeakers Contributor
    I would simply say that the sound gets cleaner, more detailed and coherent when you step up to the Bifrost uber.  There's more air and space, and the treble has a more natural timbre.  When you step up to the Lyr 2, the soundstage really expands, as well.

MrSpeakers Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on MrSpeakers at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://www.mrspeakers.com/ info@mrspeakers.com
  12. AxelCloris Administrator

Owning a Dragonfly and having heard the Geek Out, I'd recommend they should go with the GO if they can swing the few extra bucks. The 1000mW version is able to drive the Alpha Dogs to a very reasonable level on its own without an external amp, but having a full desktop amp does help for sure. The 450mW Geek Out with a dedicated amp should sound great for the price. The Dragonfly is a good little DAC, but the added PCM and DSD resolutions of the GO as well as the very well implemented crossfeed circuit (completely optional) make it a winner. Plus to my ears it's more pleasing than the Dragonfly, but that's personal taste.

13. Ableza
    I've used an ODAC, a Bitfrost (albeit not the Uber version) a Dragonfly and a Wavelength Proton to drive my Lyr and Alpha Dogs.  To me the Proton beat the others hands down.  Plus the headphone out on the Proton is not too shabby by itself (I use it to drive an old set of Sennheiser 580s when I don't want to power on the Lyr for things like Youtube.)

Vortexbox-Proton-Lyr-Alpha Dog is my normal music listening setup.

14. sonorsnoopy
    Hi! Where can I listen to Alpha Dogs or TH600 in the New York / NYC area?

15. Radiohead99
    I've a Centrance hifi-m8. I mostly listen to indie rock, some pop music. Would alpha dog do a justice to rock/pop genre if pairing with hifi-m8? Also, I'm curious if anyone uses the alpha dog on their daily commute. 

First

Back
486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495
497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506
Next

Last