1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Aug 9, 2013.
First

Back
479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488
490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499
Next

Last
  1. Skyyyeman
    (Note:  Cable "non believers" are welcome to skip this post and refrain from posting negative cable related comments.)

I haven't heard the above cables so I really can't comment about them, but I just received the Moon Audio Blue Dragon v.3 cable and they've produced a significant improvement.  Cost was about $190 for a 5 ft. cable with the AD connectors, which I think is below the price of the other cables.  I'll have more to say about this cable after I do more listening but the improvement with the AD mirrors the improvements I heard using Blue Dragon with my HD800 and HD600.  

With the AD, there is now more of everything across the board -- more detail and transparency, deeper and faster bass.  For example, on rock and dance music, I now turn down the bass boost quite a bit on my ALO amp compared to the prior settings since there's now more bass.  If this means anything, and just to give some semblance of an approximation in a form my friends and I use between ourselves, I'd say the improvement is maybe 15-20% -- i.e., it's not something that you have to strain to hear, it's readily apparent.  

Also, surprisingly, the "speed" and dynamics of the AD has increased -- and the AD was fast to start with.

I also appreciate the construction quality -- it's clearly a premium cable and Moon puts rubber seals around all the connections.

Not that there was anything to complain about with the stock cable, I was very happy with it before.  In fact, the stock cable is good and nicely made, and Dan deserves credit for providing such a nice stock cable with the AD -- the cable would not be out of place with a more expensive headphone.  It's based on the Canare cable, I believe, which is a good cable widely used in pro circles and by other quality headphone manufacturers too.

But spend more and you'll be pleasantly surprised with the improvement. I now find it interesting that all the positive comments about the AD, on this site and by the various pro reviewers, were all done with the stock cable.  Now if they had only heard the AD with an upgraded cable...

Here's the link to the Moon Audio Blue Dragon:      http://www.moon-audio.com/moon-audio-blue-dragon-headphone-cable.html

Also, FWIW, the Blue Dragon sister cable, the Silver Dragon (in v.2 interconnect configuration) was just reviewed by The Absolute Sound and given a rave review.  Here's the link: 

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/moon-audio-silver-dragon-v2-interconnect/?utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-255

2. HeretixAevum

I don't think you should have to modify the headphone stand for it to be able to properly serve it's function. It's already very lacking in presentation without some DIY foam job. No, I just don't like it and would never use it. If I ever want a headphone stand for my alpha dog, I'll buy one that doesn't suck.

3. Roscoeiii
    Well, that's fine then. Don't use it. Obviously it is not a selling point for you.

For me (and we are all different) it is a nice thoughtful little addition that it seems could be accomplished at minimal cost. 

Overall, not a big deal.

4. aamefford

Bingo!

5. swspiers

Double bingo

6. MattTCG

Triple. [​IMG]

7. jaywillin

boingo

i'm just in that kinda mood at least i'm wear my AD's

8. MattTCG
    I hope to have my repaired AD's back around Thursday. Can't wait. Of course I will be on the lookout for the fedex Ninja. He will not slip past me this time. [​IMG]

9. jaywillin
    [​IMG] start preparing "ninja mode"

10. HeretixAevum

Yep, for those of you who like it and want to use it, all the power to you. I just don't think it's up to scratch, but it's not like I'm paying a heap of money for it so I can deal with it just sitting in the box unused.

11. Ableza
    I do not understand complaining about an extra that was included free.

12. HeretixAevum
    Oh come on, how is it free? It's part of the package that you're paying for. You're definitely paying for it, and it's definitely built into the price.

13. Skyyyeman
    +2

Strangely enough, I buy a headphone for the headphone.

Ableza likes this.
  14. HeretixAevum
    And by the same logic, the minor sonic things we complain about and obsess over here at head fi could be written off as "not a big deal" by a lot of people.

I don't think it's so wrong to want to hold companies to a basic standard with the things they include in the box. If the carry pouch was too small or the cable not long enough I think it'd be a fair, reasonable criticism to point it out. I'm just expressing that I don't think the headphone stand is a good addition.

But yeah, just trying to give constructive criticism so maybe the stand could be improved. Not trying to blow it out of proportion. The headphone is what we all want primarily.

swspiers likes this.
  15. wahsmoh
    Wow the new Vanquish is something I am going to have to order :] 

Black Alpha Dogs + Type 6 Litz OCC wire w/ clear sleeve :O aesthetically beautiful and if there are sonic improvements to match talk about a good deal 

First

Back
479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488
490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499
Next

Last