1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Aug 9, 2013.
First

Back
476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485
487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496
Next

Last
  1. MattTCG
    Tyll is working on a AD dog review? 

2. jaywillin

thats the word on the street i believe

3. HeretixAevum
    Yep, in his video and small write up on his blog from the T.H.E. show when he talked to Dan Clark he said to expect a review in the not too distant future.

4. MattTCG
    If you didn't catch this, the AD gets Best of Show from EnjoytheMusic.com. Here's the quote.

MrSpeakers earns Enjoy the Music.com's Best Sound @ T.H.E. Show 2014 for their Alpha Dog headphones ($599). The Alpha Dogs have a naturally full and extended sound that my ears loved! They were very comfortable to wear too! Combined with specially manufactured 3D printed cups and custom connectors, MrSpeakers goes the extra mile to deliver a product very worthy of an award. Of course we asked for a review sample and you'll be able to read a full write-up on them in the coming months.

[​IMG]

5. wahsmoh

The bass is really good :] being a DT880 owner that is something the DT880s can't touch.

Best way I can describe both headphones:

DT880 - Dry flat sound, good bass impact, lacks bass extension, mild treble peak, huge open soundstage

Alpha Dog - Slightly dark side of neutral, deep extended bass, amazing vocal imager, soundstage isn't as open as DT880 but has great instrument positioning and "room feel" you can literally hear how large the recording studio is in some tracks

HeretixAevum likes this.
  6. HeretixAevum
    Nice, how would you say the bass impact was relative to the dt880?

7. MattTCG

This is a good description of the AD. 

8. aamefford
    I'll pitch in a little here as well.  A much loved high end bass heavy headphone is the now legendary and departed Denon D7000.  The Denon is one of the headphones I really regret selling.

The Denon to me is a beautiful, lush, warm headphone that wraps it's arms around you and surrounds you with this euphonic, beautiful voice.  It is also bass boosted, and features bass to some degree at all times.  It's faults were the bass slightly overpowering the mids, and sometimes a bit too much sparkle in the highs, at least for me.  When you needed or wanted bass, you had it in great quantity, quality and visceral impact.  When you didn't need or want bass, you often had it in great quantity, quality and visceral impact.  Don't get me wrong - I loved the D7000.  If they hadn't doubled in price, I might look for another pair.

The Alpha Dog is very nearly neutral, and very true to the music.  If the music has deep, visceral bass, you hear and feel it with the Alpha.  If the music doesn't, the bass does not intrude.  The mids are not overshadowed by the bass, which makes them very lush and full.  The only fault I had was again, occasionally too bright treble.

Apparently I was not alone in wanting the treble tamed just a bit, which lead to the "Monkey Dots" and the "disks".  The brightness was tamed for me when Dan installed the Monkey Dots at a meet.  He also gave me a pair of the disks to try.  I thought they couldn't get any better after the Monkey Dots, and didn't install the disks for a month.  For my ears and my pair, after installing the disks, they are near perfect.  The occasional bright treble is tamed (unless the music is overly bright or sibilant) and the rest of the presentation remains essentially unchanged.  Very cool to be able to tune them, as not everyone likes the treble dropped back a notch.

9. MattTCG
    ^^ Those impression are dead on sir!!

Did you end up keeping the disks in? One or two?

10. aamefford

One dot and one disk in each side.  I think I'll try a second pair of disks at the SF Bay area meet here in July.  Really though, I think the one pair will work out to be ideal.  They were near perfect with just the dots, and I could probably make a case for them being more true to the recording without the single disk.  I just can't make a case for liking them better without the single disk in each cup.  That is what is so cool about the tunability.

11. MattTCG
    It's nice to put able to just place the disk in cup to test whether it works for you. Then if you want to make it finished, you can pull off the pad and place the disk properly. 

12. musicman59
    That was exactly my impression when I listened to them for the first time at AXPONA this year. I told Dan about the brightness so immediately he install 1 Dog Treat in each cup and after that they were near perfect for me to the point that I just received my pair this past week.

You are talking about "Monkey Dot" and "Disks" are those the same as the "Dog Treats"? My pair came with 4 "Dog Treats" and I installed 1 in each cup.

13. jaywillin

i have two dot's in mine, they came that way from dan, i may do a little "fiddlin about"

14. aamefford
    Yes, same thing.  I don't remember what the final correct names are - must be dog treats!

Dan tunes them to his spec, pretty much by ear for the final tuning (anyone feel free to correct me if the method has changed).  He is quite consistent, and he has a really good ear.  If it were me, I would spend a couple weeks or a month with them as delivered before fiddlin' around, just to get a good solid handle on how they sound.  "Course that may just be because my moments with headphones, either listening or fiddling, are fleeting, so it takes me longer....

15. jaywillin
    i believe he does,
    and i agree, i've had them for a couple of weeks already, and i was going to wait a bit more

First

Back
476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485
487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496
Next

Last