MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
May 6, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #6,946 of 9,071
Well, I'll give a little review of my new alphas. I got them this after noon and have been playing them ever since.( currently running on a Burson 160)

These are the things I like : 
1. Good bass! I was surprised on how good it was, clear and sounded great.
2. Great overall sound, the highs seemed like they were clear without being to harsh.
3. Well made and look even better!
4. Pretty much anything can power them with enough juice to sound decent. 

Things I don't like : 
1. Ear pads. although comfortable, I have larger ears and the don't fit into the pad. Coming from the HD800's where my entire ear fits in and I never get any ear discomfort ( this is of course an only me thing)
2. Clamping force on ears is not enough. The headphones are tight on top and loose on the bottom of my ears (extremely annoying)
3. No wow factor. Although they sound good, I've not once had any type of " Wow" experience like I have with many other headphones. I will give them another day or 2 though.

Coming from HD800's a my daily phone (and ps1000's as my secondary) I don't think I will be keeping these phones very long. It's been a long wait but in the end, these are not looking like they will be added into my collection. Anyone in Canada that may be interested, drop me a PM.

May 6, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #6,947 of 9,071
The clamp can be adjusted and is actually very important for a good seal and to hear the best from these hp's. There is a you tube video to show you how:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHtaO5zRAAE

May 6, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #6,949 of 9,071
  Well, I'll give a little review of my new alphas. I got them this after noon and have been playing them ever since.( currently running on a Burson 160)

These are the things I like :
1. Good bass! I was surprised on how good it was, clear and sounded great.
2. Great overall sound, the highs seemed like they were clear without being to harsh.
3. Well made and look even better!
4. Pretty much anything can power them with enough juice to sound decent. 

Things I don't like : 
1. Ear pads. although comfortable, I have larger ears and the don't fit into the pad. Coming from the HD800's where my entire ear fits in and I never get any ear discomfort ( this is of course an only me thing)
2. Clamping force on ears is not enough. The headphones are tight on top and loose on the bottom of my ears (extremely annoying)
3. No wow factor. Although they sound good, I've not once had any type of " Wow" experience like I have with many other headphones. I will give them another day or 2 though.

Coming from HD800's a my daily phone (and ps1000's as my secondary) I don't think I will be keeping these phones very long. It's been a long wait but in the end, these are not looking like they will be added into my collection. Anyone in Canada that may be interested, drop me a PM.

I have the HD800 PS1000 and alpha dog too.
yes I do agree, when compare to those headphones, there is no WOW from alpha dog,
but I mainly using the alpha dog when I am not home.
 it works good..

May 6, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #6,950 of 9,071
  The clamp can be adjusted and is actually very important for a good seal and to hear the best from these hp's. There is a you tube video to show you how:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHtaO5zRAAE

ya, it's not that, it's the size of the ear cups and my ears makes for a lousy fit. Are there any other ear pads we can use that have a bigger ear hole?

(I'm sure it's because I have a big head and I'm getting near the end of the adjustment and even with the band bent, it still isn't enough force)

May 6, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #6,953 of 9,071
I actually like the lack of a wow factor, but I also understand your thoughts @TheGovernment. A couple of other favs do have a wow. d7000 comes to mind. Eh, there's a bit of wow for me, with vocals especially.
I sold my ADs because they just weren't as fun to listen to as the d7000.

May 6, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #6,954 of 9,071
Thks for all the frank feedback, I guess I will hang on to my md3.2 for non critical listening and LCD-xc for critical sessions and pass on the alphas for now.

May 7, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #6,955 of 9,071
  ya, it's not that, it's the size of the ear cups and my ears makes for a lousy fit. Are there any other ear pads we can use that have a bigger ear hole?

(I'm sure it's because I have a big head and I'm getting near the end of the adjustment and even with the band bent, it still isn't enough force)

try HM5? you might lose some sq and isolation. The clamp is not suppose to be making your head pop, if you have a big head it should be clamping pretty hard.

May 7, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #6,956 of 9,071
I sold my ADs because they just weren't as fun to listen to as the d7000.

and there's the rub, i find the AD fun, more "fun" than the i'd describe the lcd x, but less fun than my grado's
soooooooo subjective

May 7, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #6,957 of 9,071
It usually comes down to semantics. We all have our different idea of what certain terms  mean. The AD was plenty fun for me. 
wink.gif

May 7, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #6,958 of 9,071
It usually comes down to semantics. We all have our different idea of what certain terms  mean. The AD was plenty fun for me. :wink:

Said better than what I said !

May 7, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #6,959 of 9,071
Yea the term fun can have different meanings.

Most commonly maybe it's used for V-shape response with emphasized bass and treble but to me and I know at least some others it can for example mean a more "in-your-face" sound which I find more engaging (getting the feel of needing to tap your foot, "dance" or sing along etc) instead of laid-back like LCD or typical Sennheiser sound signature which would be for more relaxed listening (classical music comes into my mind).

May 7, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #6,960 of 9,071
Regarding clamping force, for "large" hat sizes, you can often improve the fit by moving the "bend point" further towards the risers.  

To do this, "unbend" the headband, then "re-bend" it closer to where the risers are attached to the band.  This increases the distance between the bends, and if you make the bend angle a bit more acute you can often get the pads to lay better if you are at the larger hat sizes.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back