MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Aug 9, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #31 of 9,071
Hmm, seems very interesting. Not sure it will suit my specific tastes (I prefer warmer, medium speed, with bass emphasis), but it DOES seem to be a pure reference closed headphone. I really loved the MD 3.2, but it was definitely darker, warmer, and emotive, not exactly pure reference (which was perfectly fine for my tastes).

I'm happy for Dan. He's a real stand up guy. He deserves all the praise he gets. I'm a believer of the MD now, and I'm sure that those looking for a neutral, fast headphone won't be disappointed by the Alpha Dog.

The Mad Dog 3.2 is undoubtedly my favorite TRULY closed back headphone, and among my very faves period. I can only expect greatness from the Alpha Dogs, though in a different sense.

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #35 of 9,071
This is awesome news!

The idea for 3D printing is just pure genius! Lattice structure... wow just wow... I think you're way ahead of the game now Dan. Audez'e might be phoning to ask you for your advice about creating closed planars. LOL.. Will be ordering ASAP.

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #37 of 9,071
Quote:
Sorry for being a noob, but what exactly is 3D printing and what difference does it make to the headphone? Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Google?

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #38 of 9,071
Quote:
Sorry for being a noob, but what exactly is 3D printing and what difference does it make to the headphone? Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

In this case, it permits making a honeycomb like structure in the walls of the cup, with small pockets of air. It shows this in the video. This technique is common in 3D printing, because it saves material in most printed objects and adds strength to structural integrity while making it lighter, afaik. The advantage for closed headphones, as i understand, is making them lighter without compromising sound isolation. After that, i'm sure small tweaks can be made to customize the sound. 

I was pretty excited about these, until i saw the price. *sigh* And i wish they had a single cable, not two from each cup. But everything else seems great and i'll probably get one someday. 

Also, i'm wondering if he'll release the cad drawings for the cups? 
rolleyes.gif
 For the DIY crowd that has access to a 3d printer and want to play with the design. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #39 of 9,071
this is awesome and for 600 bucks there should be no complaints, especially from people who haven't even heard the Mad Dogs because if you've heard the Mad Dogs you wouldn't be complaining in the first place.

I can't wait for the stupid comments like "I wonder how they'll compare to the apple ear buds or maybe the fostex th900s or how about the stax 009?"

durrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #40 of 9,071
Quote:
In this case, it permits making a honeycomb like structure in the walls of the cup, with small pockets of air. It shows this in the video. This technique is common in 3D printing, because it saves material in most printed objects and adds strength to structural integrity while making it lighter, afaik. The advantage for closed headphones, as i understand, is making them lighter without compromising the sound isolation. After that, i'm sure small tweaks can be made to customize the sound. 

I was pretty excited about these, until i saw the price. *sigh* And i wish they had a single cable, not two from each cup. But everything else seems great and i'll probably get one someday. 

Also, i'm wondering if he'll release the cad drawings for the cups? 
rolleyes.gif
 For the DIY crowd that has access to a 3d printer and want to play with the design. 

Yes, I was looking into this: fill lattices are a common technique in 3D printing to save printing materials. Actually, the software itself can be set to generate the fill automatically.

The cool book I have on loudspeaker designs actually talks about Honeycomb lattices and how speaker manufacturers have been using them to increase material rigidity even for tradtionally 'cheap' resonant materials:

http://www.amazon.com/High-Performance-Loudspeakers-Martin-Colloms/dp/0470094303/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

There is an alternative approach to those traditional high mass and high rigidity designs which generally employ damping and or bracing to control panel resonance. One alternative is the low-mass enclosure constructed with the intention of minimizing stored energy. if the time or transient signature of such an enclosure, designed using ultra-rigid low-mass engineering honeycomb composite, can be made short enough, then it is possible to bring it into the time frame of the main drive unit. Now it becomes part of the overall system response and equalization. Low stored energy is equivalent both to low colouration and good transient response. Speakers designed using such costly cabinet techniques have indeed shown low colouration, good transparency and well-defined transients.

The book references the B&W Matrix series speakers as one example of a 'multi-cellular bracing' design.

I would guess that honeycomb designs have not been implemented in existing headphones because traditional plastic injection moulding techniques or CNC mills would make it too expensive or too difficult to scale up. But if you are a boutique operation with a 3D printer, this kind of crazy stuff is possible.

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #42 of 9,071
in the video we kept hearing that the Aplha sound faster, does this mean it can do the J-pop/Electronic music better now? just like the TH600, or i didn't understand the term "fast" ... the alpha sound cool but i wana know if they are what i need. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #43 of 9,071
Quote:
in the video we kept hearing that the Aplha sound faster, does this mean it can do the J-pop/Electronic music better now? just like the TH600, or i didn't understand the term "fast" ... the alpha sound cool but i wana know if they are what i need. 

im guessing fast means fast attack and fast decay... 

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #45 of 9,071
Let's see how it compares to LFF's Paradox

Users who are viewing this thread

Back