MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #2,086 of 2,583
Great work, good to see an enthusiast making HP's. We all like an under dog.
To my ears, my Aeon's (with the black filter) sound better behaved than the focal series that people are raving on about. Better value, well though out design, less uneven treble + no shouty mids. Aeons have slightly less sound stage. But you usually trade FR for sound stage.
With the exception of a few, I believe most big manufacturers offer terrible value propositions in comparison these days.
Only complaint in the plastic on the leather band keeps slipping against the metal rail. But I will place some rubber sheet between them.
You can tighten them, just turn the screw a quieter turn at a time until they are tight and don't slip.

Dec 13, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #2,087 of 2,583
I splurged on these about a month ago and am currently using a very affordable topping NX4 portable amp. Because I can't help myself, I am wondering whether these need more power. Volume is not an issue. Even at low gain, 11 o'clock or so is plenty loud but being relatively new to this stuff, I'm wondering how much improvement there would be with something more powerful. A $500 or $600 amp is not in my budget and I stream mostly over Tidal. Is the NX4 sufficient or do I need to upgrade? Thanks.

Dec 13, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #2,088 of 2,583
I splurged on these about a month ago and am currently using a very affordable topping NX4 portable amp. Because I can't help myself, I am wondering whether these need more power. Volume is not an issue. Even at low gain, 11 o'clock or so is plenty loud but being relatively new to this stuff, I'm wondering how much improvement there would be with something more powerful. A $500 or $600 amp is not in my budget and I stream mostly over Tidal. Is the NX4 sufficient or do I need to upgrade? Thanks.

Are you saying you think your amp doesn't have the "Umph" to run them? I've experienced that before and it could definitely be mistaken for lack of soundstage. The feeling you get as if your sound is closed in, not being able to fully extend.

I just hope that you are not finding the hard way like me that these lack the soundstage that I would like in a pair of HPs. Wish someone told me they are semi-open before I bought them, even though they are advertised as "Open" in their name. I want to do one more experiment before selling them which is going to be removing the back completely and just seeing how they sound like without it.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #2,089 of 2,583
Are you saying you think your amp doesn't have the "Umph" to run them? I've experienced that before and it could definitely be mistaken for lack of soundstage. The feeling you get as if your sound is closed in, not being able to fully extend.

I just hope that you are not finding the hard way like me that these lack the soundstage that I would like in a pair of HPs. Wish someone told me they are semi-open before I bought them, even though they are advertised as "Open" in their name. I want to do one more experiment before selling them which is going to be removing the back completely and just seeing how they sound like without it.

Yes, I was wondering. It's definitely not a volume issue. I admit they are more closed than I expected but it's not detracting from the experience. I'm trying to assess whether the NX4 which by all accounts is a fairly powerful little portable is enough or, stated differently, whether arbitrarily buying a "better" amp is really going to improve the sound. I was A/Bing them to my Mobius and compared to Mobius they are very open sounding.

Dec 13, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #2,090 of 2,583
Yes, I was wondering. It's definitely not a volume issue. I admit they are more closed than I expected but it's not detracting from the experience. I'm trying to assess whether the NX4 which by all accounts is a fairly powerful little portable is enough or, stated differently, whether arbitrarily buying a "better" amp is really going to improve the sound. I was A/Bing them to my Mobius and compared to Mobius they are very open sounding.

The audio chain is only as strong as it’s weakest link. If volume isn’t an issue then output power isn’t either (the two are directly related). Look for source gear that is better designed, with good synergy for the AEON for your tastes, not just more output power (there are some terrible powerful amps out there).

Dec 13, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #2,091 of 2,583
The audio chain is only as strong as it’s weakest link. If volume isn’t an issue then output power isn’t either (the two are directly related). Look for source gear that is better designed, with good synergy for the AEON for your tastes, not just more output power (there are some terrible powerful amps out there).
Thanks. Any recommendations for an affordable amp that pairs well with the aeon?

Dec 13, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #2,092 of 2,583
Thanks. Any recommendations for an affordable amp that pairs well with the aeon?

The trouble is that, usually, as you go up in quality you also go up in price, but the two aren't always related. I usually try to keep the quality tier of the transducer close-ish to that of the source gear. I'd suggest a Mojo, but that doesn't seem to be within your budget. It's been quite a while since I've been below the $500 range so I'm afraid I won't have many other suggestions for you.

It may be helpful to describe what you're looking for in sound signature and what is important to you in music listening. Of course with any option you'd want to have good a clean power implementation and low distortion. Do you seek a wiiiiide soundstage? Are you looking for heavy bass thump? Do you seek precise timing and detail? These things will help others contribute and make suggestions for you within your budget.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #2,093 of 2,583

Depends what you consider affordable, but the Schiit Lyr3 seems to pair very well. A lot of the posters on the Lyr 3 threads own Aeons and it appears to be a popular combo. In my personal experience they sound fantastic together. Being a hybrid, power is never an issue (9W at 16 Ohms) and It is a very musical amp. Also, you have some ability to tweak the soundstage, slam, detail, etc depending on the tube. Bonus, 6SN7 tubes are generally excellent sounding.

Tube wise I run a 1953 Sylvania because it was recommended by a lot of posters on the tube rolling thread, wasn’t super expensive, and delivers a big sound stage with impressive bass and slightly forward mids. It also sounds way better than anything else I’ve ever heard so I don’t See much point in messing with it.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #2,095 of 2,583
So I just took the backs off completely and am listening to them a lot, trying everything under the sun including the Dolby Atmos demos. So far, I think there's more drawbacks to taking the backs off completely than with. The sound is thinner substantially with a small gain in soundstage, however, for me I prefer this trade-off. It was hard to try and find a song to test this with but I think this one does it pretty well:

Trying to visualise this was hard. In the end I had to visualise what effect the padded foam in the backs was having on the audio and this made it more obvious. Just like in a soundproofed room, the thickness of the sound feels like you can sink your teeth into it almost, meaty. With the backs off the sound is like biting on a thin and crispy cookie. Like a glassy texture almost.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #2,096 of 2,583
The trouble is that, usually, as you go up in quality you also go up in price, but the two aren't always related. I usually try to keep the quality tier of the transducer close-ish to that of the source gear. I'd suggest a Mojo, but that doesn't seem to be within your budget. It's been quite a while since I've been below the $500 range so I'm afraid I won't have many other suggestions for you.

I have the Mojo and the AFO and to me it's my definitive gear. When I bought the Mojo (new) I spent no more than 450 euros, just look for some offers or buy used. The Mojo is very strong-built, I could trust to buy it used.

Dec 21, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #2,097 of 2,583
I have the Mojo and the AFO and to me it's my definitive gear. When I bought the Mojo (new) I spent no more than 450 euros, just look for some offers or buy used. The Mojo is very strong-built, I could trust to buy it used.

I have the same setup and mostly agree. I mean, the Mojo does not struggle by any means to power the AFOs. 2nd hand Mojos can have knackered batteries though (a lot of people use them as Desktop DACs, including me, so they're constantly powered On). And for an extra 100 euros (£399 on Amazon) you can get a new one and have warranty for peace of mind. I am not however fully convinced that this is the pinnacle of sound until I will visit my friend abroad who has a Hugo 2 which is completely neutral (Mojo is slightly warm) and try the AFOs with it. Unfortunately I can only do this sometime next year, so not any time soon by any means :frowning2:. I'll hold off on selling them until then.

PS: I've been listening with the backs off for almost a week now and I like the soundstage a lot more even though the sound is thinner.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #2,098 of 2,583
I use it also for desktop and for headphones, until now I have no issues at all with batteries. I charge them after a couple of hours after the orange state.

Dec 22, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #2,099 of 2,583
I use it also for desktop and for headphones, until now I have no issues at all with batteries. I charge them after a couple of hours after the orange state.

I don't bother. It's always plugged in.

Dec 22, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #2,100 of 2,583
In this way you can't obtain the "line level mode", right?

Also, in this way you won't ruin the battery soon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back