MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #2,011 of 2,583
I never heard that brand here in Italy. BTW, in these days I am trying a new set of speakers (cheapers than yours), that *seem* to do the job (sounds like AFO). I hope I am in the right way now.

Sep 14, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #2,012 of 2,583
Anyone running the AFO with the idsd micro (black)? After all the praising of these headphones i don't get really into it. Really everything sound great but that's not what i want. It's a little bit boring or too laid back sounding. What are your experiences with the idsd. which settings are good for getting excietment out of these headphones?

I have the iDSD BL and used it with the AFO but it felt a bit stuffy. The AFC pairs very well with the BL on the other hand.

I think the Jotunheim plus Mimby is a much better pairing for me and even the Jotunheim DS balanced DAC but I like a slightly brighter sound. For some music I bring up the mids or highs with EQ. Maybe try taking out the filters too. I like them best with no filter inserts.

Dan Clark has stated, if I recall correctly, that tube amps like the Lyr 3 are a good pairing with the AFO.

Sep 15, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #2,013 of 2,583
Just got a new cable from Oidio Sound to replace the stiff microphonic stock cable of the AFO, with https://oidiosound.co.uk/media/cata...39433887a97daa66f/i/m/img_20180628_152722.jpg this exact color scheme. The blue is darker outside studio lighting of the picture and looks very nice with the Aeon's blue. Reasonably priced too.

Anyone running the AFO with the idsd micro (black)? After all the praising of these headphones i don't get really into it. Really everything sound great but that's not what i want. It's a little bit boring or too laid back sounding. What are your experiences with the idsd. which settings are good for getting excietment out of these headphones?
I like having the treble increasing "3D+" switch on for a lot of genres, and the XBass for some others. Rarely both at the same time, though. The AFO are good sounding but also relatively "mellow" out of any amp (Jotunheim, Klipsch Heritage, iDSD Micro) in my experience. I would recommend other headphones with/instead of the AFO for excitement.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #2,017 of 2,583
How is the clamp on these after they've broken in? I have stretched my HD600's out many times to lessen their clamp as I'm very sensitive around the jaw. I'm kinda stuck between the LCD2C and these - the weight of the Aeons is a big selling point but ultimately it's clamp that matters to me more than weight, assuming the weight is well distributed.

There's no chance of trying anything in person where I am so it's a suck it and see job...

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #2,018 of 2,583
How is the clamp on these after they've broken in? I have stretched my HD600's out many times to lessen their clamp as I'm very sensitive around the jaw. I'm kinda stuck between the LCD2C and these - the weight of the Aeons is a big selling point but ultimately it's clamp that matters to me more than weight, assuming the weight is well distributed.

There's no chance of trying anything in person where I am so it's a suck it and see job...
I've only demoed these at shows, but they're easily the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn, of course YMMV. For me they didn't feel like they clamped much at all, but the seal was fine. From what I understand though, the metal used retains it's shape very well, so no bending to adjust here.

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #2,019 of 2,583

You won’t be disappointed. I own the hd650 and the AFO. The AFO is a lot more comfortable, and I consider the hd650 to be a pretty comfortable headphone.

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #2,020 of 2,583
I've only demoed these at shows, but they're easily the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn, of course YMMV. For me they didn't feel like they clamped much at all, but the seal was fine. From what I understand though, the metal used retains it's shape very well, so no bending to adjust here.

You won’t be disappointed. I own the hd650 and the AFO. The AFO is a lot more comfortable, and I consider the hd650 to be a pretty comfortable headphone.

A minimal clamp that pretty much just sat rather than pressed with significant force would be ideal - my HD600's clamp a little tighter than that and are bearable for about three hours. My other, cheaper possibility would be a used, worn in pair of HE-560's but the HiFiMan reputation for poor reliability puts me off a little there.

Sep 18, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #2,022 of 2,583
A minimal clamp that pretty much just sat rather than pressed with significant force would be ideal - my HD600's clamp a little tighter than that and are bearable for about three hours. My other, cheaper possibility would be a used, worn in pair of HE-560's but the HiFiMan reputation for poor reliability puts me off a little there.
The AFO are a benchmark before comfort. They are more comfortable than any headphone I've had, including the HD700 which is regarded in this area. I think that unless you have a disproportionately large head, you'll feel like they press just the necessary to hold onto your head. I second that you'll feel they're good for prolong periods of time

Sep 18, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #2,023 of 2,583
The AFO are a benchmark before comfort. They are more comfortable than any headphone I've had, including the HD700 which is regarded in this area. I think that unless you have a disproportionately large head, you'll feel like they press just the necessary to hold onto your head. I second that you'll feel they're good for prolong periods of time
The problem could also be if someone has a fairly small noggin, the seal could be compromised, but I do think that would be very few people overall.

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #2,024 of 2,583

These (AFO) are by far the most comfortable HPs that I own (HD6XX, Fostex TR X00, Kennerton Magister Pro, Momentum BT over ear). You’ll likely not find a more comfortable headset.

Sep 18, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #2,025 of 2,583

This did remind me, IDK where you live but if it's the US, there is always the Headphone Library.

The Cable Company has a library for cables, and they did expand it for headphones as well. Basically you pay shipping (both ways) & 5% of the value, but the 5% is refundable toward ANY purchase on their website.

Not fantastic, but definitely not outrageous either, and a good option if you have nowhere to demo (they do stock Mr. Speakers, Audeze and a few others as well). I always wonder why more companies don't try something like this.

Anyway here's the more detailed description:
https://www.thecableco.com/the-cable-company-headphone-lending-library

Users who are viewing this thread

Back