MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Jul 27, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #1,937 of 2,583
The MCTH is greatly improved with an external LPS, but that's just one more expense.

As I said, go for the Vali 2 if you're looking for a budget AFO solution.

Jul 27, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #1,939 of 2,583
Silly question, but does a tube amp make the AFO sound even warmer?
Depends on the amp and the tube.

In the case of the hybrid tube amps we're discussing, not really. The Vali 2 is only mildly on the warm side. The Lyr 3 is not really a warm amp at all unless you purposely get a super warm tube for it.

The SS Gilmore Lite mk2 that's been mentioned makes the AFO warmer/smoother than the Lyr 3, in my opinion. Especially if you pair the Lyr with a more aggressive tube such as the Psvane UK-6SN7.

I've opted for the Lyr since I feel the more energetic sound livens the AFO up nicely without causing it to lose it's smooth/romantic signature I love so much.

Jul 28, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #1,940 of 2,583
Silly question, but does a tube amp make the AFO sound even warmer?

Depends on the amp and the tubes used. My WA22 naturally sounds warmer than my V281 SS amp. However recently I decided to push the warm level even further and installed the notoriously warm sounding Takatsuzuki 274B new production rectifier (Center tube) and that makes the AFO ridiculously warm.

170578_full.jpg

Jul 28, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #1,942 of 2,583
Thanks. I’ve been thinking about trying a Lyr 3. Is the sound much improved vs. a Jotunheim on the AFOs?

They sound great from my iDSD BL and Jotunheim.
At that point, you're getting more down to flavors and preferences than a definite "better" or "worse".

I enjoyed the Jot while I had it. However, I wasn't a fan of it with planars...it added a bit of sterility to the sound that I didn't like as well as tubes.

But that's simply my preference. I also hear newer production Jots are not as bright as the early version I had, so YMMV.

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #1,943 of 2,583
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 31, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #1,946 of 2,583
Hi all,

I already ask this but maybe there will be some AEON new user here.

What do you think about the AFO-Mojo combo?

Aug 1, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #1,948 of 2,583
They do open up with burn in. Just put white noise overnight till you reach at least 50 hours. They settle between 50 to 100 hours
Just got my pair yesterday. Do these open up with burn in? They currently sound a bit restrained in the bass and treble area.

Aug 1, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #1,949 of 2,583
Mine haven't changed over 3-400 hours. They do come with the 1-notch white filters installed. Take them out to make the upper treble more elevated. The lower treble--uper midrange around 3-5khz is a little recessed compared to the bass, lower mids, and upper treble though, that's just their tuning.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #1,950 of 2,583
Just got my pair yesterday. Do these open up with burn in? They currently sound a bit restrained in the bass and treble area.

I share my experience (they are paired with a Mojo).

When bought I notice the treble very rolled off. Then I tried without any filter and with the black filter but the sound was... thin, lean, not for me.

Then I plug them to one my old netbook, foobar, Daft Punk and Massive attack, good volume, leaving 24/24 for 5 days.

Them I put back the 1 notch White filter and the treble for me was ok, I love the sound signature still today, perfect for my tast and NOT FATIGUING.

I don't know if it's burn-in or brain-in but it's what happened to me. BTW the manufacturer says to break-in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back